(**Video**) Have you ever blamed a referee for your loss?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gdjiujitsu, Jan 4, 2015.

1. gdjiujitsu

gdjiujitsu Yellow Belt

2. TheSubmissionCh

TheSubmissionCh Green Belt

What do you do when they disqualify [DQ] you for something they imagined because they may be suffering from undiagnosed schizophrenia?

3. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

4. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Gustavo is the man! His DLR overheed sweep is my best sweep. Love him and the bear jew!

5. Romulas

Romulas Orange Belt

I'm not even sure if I'm back in the right dimension yet after watching that video.

6. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

I wish I could. Unfortunately, I lost because of me.

7. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Great video! I learned this lesson several years ago. A ref gave two points for a takedown while I had the opponent in a guillotine attempt. I even popped back to my feet, but the points cost me the match. It felt bad for a short time, but then I had to focus on the next bracket. I won that bracket by channelling my energy into determination rather than compliance. After the event, I worked on my strategy and my takedowns. The following week, I performed very well IIRC.

Refs make mistakes too: Those who claim to be perfect are either lying or arrogant. The only teacher is experience, and the only way to gain experience is to work event. Competitors also are not unbiased: They may think something happened, when reality was different. Win or lose, it seems that good competitors look at their specific performances and try to improve.

Someone once said, "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." Competitors don't always get what they want from competitions, but they usually get the lessons they need to grow. How we bounce back from adversity determines our character. As athletes, and as men and women.

8. smart.feller

smart.feller Beer Drinker

Yes, I lost a match to a phantom tap while my opponent had me in a chokehold that was not deeply applied...the video of the match clearly showed that I didn't tap (I was reaching and repositioned my hand on my opponent's bicep). The ref stopped the match and then asked me "did you tap?". I told the ref no, and my opponent offered to restart the match, but in the name of sportsmanship I said it was alright, and that the rulebook states that all referee decisions are final. Was it a b.s. stoppage? Yes...at a local tournament where the refs are all a bunch of blue belts, does it really matter? Not at all. If it had been at a qualifying event or a large regional, I might have cared.