VIDEO: Guillotine to Anaconda Choke

Thanks for sharing. This is what Nate Diaz did to Marcus Davis, isn't it?

Thank you so much! One of the best Anaconda choke vids on the net. Awesome transition.

what is the point of the roll in an anaconda choke? is it just to get him on his side/back or whatever?

meaning that if you were choking with your right arm, could you like sorta jump down on you right hip and pull him onto his side/back

what is the point of the roll in an anaconda choke? is it just to get him on his side/back or whatever?

meaning that if you were choking with your right arm, could you like sorta jump down on you right hip and pull him onto his side/back

There are a few. (Note that Rafael Mendes is a beast with this transition and I've heard Daniel Moraes is good at it too.)

If you have a Guillotine, any kind (arm in, arm out, Marcelo style, etc.) sometimes your opponent can pressure into you to try to flatten you out to stop the choke. If you feel this happening, you can use their momentum to sweep them overhead, and cinch in the Anaconda as they fall or right when they land. An overhead sweep is a great way to transition to a lot for different submissions, not only chokes.

Some people simply have a better Anaconda choke than Guillotine choke, and might look to get to the Anaconda when they are presented with a front-headlock situation. This is simply a way to facilitate a higher percentage choke for those people.

On a non-practical level, advanced transitions are just good for your Jiu-Jitsu. In Judo you're never going to need to do a Hane Goshi, but if you can do it, it's going to improve your overall game. Same with BJJ and flying armlocks, etc. You don't need to ever do an inverted DLR guard overhead sweep, but if you can do it that's good for your BJJ. You might never use it, but it's just giving you more body movements to practice and more tools in the toolbox. Same with this Guillotine to Anaconda, which is used very successfully by some of the players today.

Oh man. I'm so sorry. I totally thought you were asking why go to an Anaconda if you have the Guillotine. My bad man. Long day....

Are you asking if you need to do the Gator Roll setup?

The thought probably used to be yes. I prefer to setup the choke EXACTLY as you mentioned. Lock in the figure-four on the head and arm (right arm choking), post up on your left foot, and shoot your right leg in between their downed knees and your posted foot. Make sure you don't spike them on their head like a DDT, but this will make them somersault onto their back. As you shoot your leg through, immediately lay on your right hip/side and start tightening the choke the moment they land.

I'll try to find a video. I first saw this from Shinya Aoki.

Here's your set up. Skip to 49:52.

The more aggressively you shoot your leg through the space after you post, the quicker you're going to be able to lock the choke. If you do it too slow, you might not even get them to flip over.

Oh man. I'm so sorry. I totally thought you were asking why go to an Anaconda if you have the Guillotine. My bad man. Long day....

Are you asking if you need to do the Gator Roll setup?

The thought probably used to be yes. I prefer to setup the choke EXACTLY as you mentioned. Lock in the figure-four on the head and arm (right arm choking), post up on your left foot, and shoot your right leg in between their downed knees and your posted foot. Make sure you don't spike them on their head like a DDT, but this will make them somersault onto their back. As you shoot your leg through, immediately lay on your right hip/side and start tightening the choke the moment they land.

I'll try to find a video. I first saw this from Shinya Aoki.

right, doing it without the gator roll. I don't like my head going under my opponent and it seems like a lot of work to make it happen.

I think i did see a video a while ago doing it the way you described it or it just came into my head or both.

I think this would be a higher percentage as you don't have to move them around as much and is seems like you could trap their foot with your left foot quicker/easier.

I am a real tall dude so I love head and arm chokes

Thanks for the comments guys.
I hope I understood your question regarding the roll. As I'm not the strongest guy in the world, by rolling, I move his head deeper into the choke, increasing its effectiveness. I may also try to get a mount or top of half guard and you get a crank in addition to the choke. I use this set up a lot when I guillotine from top and get bumped off, and the opponent keeps that arm extended to prevent me from getting back on top first.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I hope I understood your question regarding the roll. As I'm not the strongest guy in the world, by rolling, I move his head deeper into the choke, increasing its effectiveness. I may also try to get a mount or top of half guard and you get a crank in addition to the choke. I use this set up a lot when I guillotine from top and get bumped off, and the opponent keeps that arm extended to prevent me from getting back on top first.

I want to start playing with finishing the Anaconda from the top like you're talking about, because I've had tremendous success with finishing the Darce/Brabo choke from the full mount. If you want to check out some videos and stuff on that, it's right here:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/drews-hearty-post-2-full-mount-darce-thread-1311451/

Mat Nemesis, I am tall also. Obviously Mr. Pravec is as well. I cannot speak for him, but head-and-arm chokes are really what my no-gi game is based around. The Marcelo guillotine and the RNC are a very big part too, but the Darce, anaconda, Peruvian and Japanese necktie, arm triangle, etc, are all very strong positions for a person with long arms.

It's awesome to have you here Mr Pravec. I'm a big fan!

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, this works well for lanky people. I'm 5'11"and 160 lbs, somewhat scrawny, so this works well for me. But as I tell my students, it all sort of evens out. For guys with shorter limbs, chokes (whether triangles, guillotines etc.) may be harder to lock up, but once they're on, there's not getting out. Whereas people with longer limbs may be able to lock up almost anyone, but if you have a thin guy on the receiving end, sometimes it's harder to close up all the gaps in the choke.
Karl

Back