(Video) George St. Pierre Speaks on UFC Welterweight Division, Motivation and more

I imagine that like a good addict he'll come back. They always come back.

As a fan I feel that he should move on. He has nothing left to prove in MMA and that movie money is hard to beat, especially since few blow out their acl's while acting.

He beat all of the best fighters in his weight class during his time. Does he really need to come back with two blasted knees and do it again? No one wants to see another sad fallen legend sticking around long after their time.

I'm a disgrace. Calling it the way I see it. I bet your one of the fans praying for gsp to retire. So he can cement his legacy. Well people are all ready forgetting about him. He beat a old Hughes, blown up Serra and penn. hurts his knee when the division is at it toughest. Then retires after the gift decision. Now he letting his boy rory have test run through all these fights. He won't ever come back.

Lol, I know revisionism is a popular hobby on this forum, but I never thought I'd see the day someone would discredit GSP:s run. And I don't even like the dude, nor did I ever think he was p4p #1.

EDIT: Ok, looking at your others "posts", it makes a lot more sense now.

Lol, I know revisionism is a popular hobby on this forum, but I never thought I'd see the day someone would discredit GSP:s run. And I don't even like the dude, nor did I ever think he was p4p #1.

EDIT: Ok, looking at your others "posts", it makes a lot more sense now.

It was quite easy. As they say time will tell. And the more time passed his great run is dwindling. He needs more solid wins against the true killers.

Worried to fight the new dogs of the division. He might come back if Lombard, lawler, woodley, Hendricks all somehow get cut. Heard he was getting ready for Serra vs gsp III.

I like the idea of a Serra trilogy at this point. Why not? They each have a win over each other. GSP would be like a 19:1 favorite and should get a very handy win. Serra has the (small) chance to win the trilogy. Great retirement fight for both of them.

(Serra's already retired, but he recently said he'd come out to fight hughes ...)

I like the idea of a Serra trilogy at this point. Why not? They each have a win over each other. GSP would be like a 19:1 favorite and should get a very handy win. Serra has the (small) chance to win the trilogy. Great retirement fight for both of them.

(Serra's already retired, but he recently said he'd come out to fight hughes ...)

Gsp comeback fight. Would rather see Hughes vs Serra.

Worried to fight the new dogs of the division. He might come back if Lombard, lawler, woodley, Hendricks all somehow get cut. Heard he was getting ready for Serra vs gsp III.

If GSP was still fighting, no one would be talking about any of these guys as championship material (with the exception pf Hendricks... and that's only due to the previous fight).

Whether you like him or not.
He is the greatest welterweight champion so far in ufc history. When a champ dominates like he did then that will champ. Hendricks won the championship by getting his ass whooped by lawler. Lets see hendricks redeem himself or lawler to start his reign as championship

It was quite easy. As they say time will tell. And the more time passed his great run is dwindling. He needs more solid wins against the true killers.

Really?

Needs more solid wins against the true killers eh?

Doesn't he have more top 10 wins than anyone else in history? Oh but you're probably going to discredit all of those fighters because they've gone on to lose fights since then. He needs to beat Lombard, Woodley, and Lawlor, and Brown because they're true killers right? Having wins against guys that have beat almost all of them doesn't mean shit.

Not to mention 11 years into his career and post ACL surgery he still beat Carlos Condit, Nick Diaz, and whether you think he won or lost, showed to be pretty much dead even with the current Champion.

So please explain to me why he needs to fight these killers you refer to.

Last edited:
First off, I dont really like it when fighters say they werent motivated for a fight. However, its been 6 months, he didnt make that excuse before hand (and I dont believe he would have even if Hendricks got the decision)

That being said, I believe him. He never really wanted to fight Hendricks (more keen on beating Diaz) and I really think he underestimated Hendricks' wrestling ability.

If Hendricks and GSP fought again, I think we would see GSP focussing much more on his striking.

GSP legs are in a bad way though he was limping around the hotel today

I'd like to see Georges back, I'm a huge fan of his, but I can't see how he can beat Hendricks.

I would not want to see him return and fight hendricks again him against Lombard would be interesting

People love to talk about how "oh Georges is just afraid to fight this new band of contenders", this is how I know they haven't been following combat sports for very long. If you've been watching combat sports long enough you realize one thing, that there's always that "new breed" of contenders that people act like is so much better than the last group. Obviously there's a progression in MMA going on right now so there is a little bit of truth to that, but lets not get crazy here. Georges is past his prime mentally and physically, he's not hungry anymore and even if he was, I don't know if his body has enough left to satiate that hunger.

Prime GSP would destroy this motley crew of contenders like he did the last.

Fights the best of his division for 10+ years; more top 10 wins than any other fighter ever; avenged every loss........

Is fedor ducking Cain, JDS, Overreem, etc. Sometimes fighters retire buddy.

Come back for what? GSP has already cemented his place as the greatest welterweight of all time, the longest reigning champion, the longest winning streak, avenged all his losses, he went out on top, went out as a champion and forfeited his belt. NO ONE is going to come close to the standard GSP has set as champion, NO ONE.

Even at his current state, at 33 and out of his prime, I believe he'll beat most of the top contenders in the division. He already beat Hendricks and Condit. Lombard is the biggest threat for him, Lawler will probably get taken down and out grappled, Woodley has a ton of power but GSP's striking is way too diverse for Woodley. If you think GSP can't beat great strikers, watch GSP vs Alves.

People love to talk about how "oh Georges is just afraid to fight this new band of contenders", this is how I know they haven't been following combat sports for very long. If you've been watching combat sports long enough you realize one thing, that there's always that "new breed" of contenders that people act like is so much better than the last group. Obviously there's a progression in MMA going on right now so there is a little bit of truth to that, but lets not get crazy here. Georges is past his prime mentally and physically, he's not hungry anymore and even if he was, I don't know if his body has enough left to satiate that hunger.

Prime GSP would destroy this motley crew of contenders like he did the last.

Good post, agreed 100%. All the posters coming out talking shit about GSP are probably newer fans who haven't been following the sport too long and are all over the nuts of the new wave of contenders.

definitely he has gone through some tough fighters but the new ones coming up don't think he will do too well at all

Back