Video: Do US soldiers have the right to protest war?

Yes. If they feel the war is unjust, don’t go to war. That’s why we have those dumb support our troops campaign, because most are sheep and do what they are told. Spineless.

You can always refuse to participate in a war if you're a soldier. I did a deployment in the Middle East During OIF and when we were being proccessed they asked me if I was a Conscientious Objector. If I would have said Yes I wouldn't of had to go to the War. I would have been generally discharged and kicked out of the Army, but I wouldn't have had to go to jail or anything like that.

You can always refuse to participate in a war if you're a soldier. I did a deployment in the Middle East During OIF and when we were being proccessed they asked me if I was a Conscientious Objector. If I would have said Yes I wouldn't of had to go to the War. I would have been generally discharged and kicked out of the Army, but I wouldn't have had to go to jail or anything like that.
You need to prove that you are a 'conscientious objector'. There needs to be some history and membership in a recognized religion. This would have all taken place before you joined the military and went to basic training. You can still be in the military as a 'conscientious objector', just not in a combat MOS. Many medics/corpsman were 'CO' in the U.S. Army and U.S. Marines in past wars. You could also be a clerk or a cook. You would not have been discharged. They asked this question before you went to OIF? That sounds strange...

Last edited:
NO they shouldn't...

You can have a inside political rise like a Hitler and really disrupt the mission.

No one in the military right now was conscripted. So no. There are no conscientious objectors in an all volunteer military. IMO.

NO they shouldn't...

You can have a inside political rise like a Hitler and really disrupt the mission.

Hitler wasn’t active duty German military was he? He fought for Austria in WW1 iirc.

Hitler wasn’t active duty German military was he? He fought for Austria in WW1 iirc.

he was in the german army and was awarded the iron cross for exceptional gallantry/bravery.

it’s their version of the Medal of Honor

he was in the german army and was awarded the iron cross for exceptional gallantry/bravery.

Ah! I’ll dig in more when I get home. Cheers.

He managed to avoid conscription to the Austrian army, and enlisted for the German army, probably as a result of some kind of over-sight by recruiters. According to himself it is because he despised the multi-ethnic nature of the Austrian military, and was always a German nationalist. The Austro-Hungarian Empire ended up collapsing into pieces after the war.

In his very first battle, which ended up being a massacre, called "Kindermord" in Germany due to the heavy casualties among freshly recruited soldiers, he was actually one of the dozens that survived in his own company.

For his efforts during WW1, he was recommended the Iron Cross 1st class (he had also received the prerequisite 2nd class award previously) by a Jewish superior officer, whom Hitler apparently granted special privileges compared to other Jews, during his later reign as German leader.

He apparently refused promotions, according to testimonies from his former officers at Nurnberg, so he never made it past lance corporal rank.

It's obvious that he was well-respected for his performance on the field, which is why he was able to rally so many WW1 veterans to his cause. Being a basic soldier rather than an officer probably helped his image.

Last edited:
You need to prove that you are a 'conscientious objector'. There needs to be some history and membership in a recognized religion. This would have all taken place before you joined the military and went to basic training. You can still be in the military as a 'conscientious objector', just not in a combat MOS. Many medics/corpsman were 'CO' in the U.S. Army and U.S. Marines in past wars. You could also be a clerk or a cook. You would not have been discharged. They asked this question before you went to OIF? That sounds strange...

Maybe they changed the rules, or maybe it's different with the National Guard and Reserves. I joined a few weeks after 9-11. I asked the lady that was doing my evaluation what would happen if I said I was. She said that they would have to go through the proper steps through my chain of command which would probably lead to some kind of punishment under the UCMJ and more than likely a discharge.

I was also a support soldier (Wheel Vehicle Mechanic) I did do vehicle recovery and went out side the wire locked and loaded when I was deployed though.

My point being someone that can influence others easily and the wrong way

Sure. Maybe I’m missing something but that sounds like a reason to do away with free speech altogether...

He managed to avoid conscription to the Austrian army, and enlisted for the German army, probably as a result of some kind of over-sight by recruiters.

Ah yes. I was just reading more and accordingly he enlisted in the Bavarian army, not the Austrian, during WW1. My mistake.

Ah yes. I was just reading more and accordingly he enlisted in the Bavarian army, not the Austrian, during WW1. My mistake.

Legally-speaking he probably shouldn't have been able to. Apparently he failed his physical exam and should've been deported.

He was just hell-bent on fighting for Germany, and came back to report for duty even after being struck by a mortar shell and blinded by mustard gas.

After the war, he allegedly became an army intelligence agent, tasked with combating Communist influence, influencing other soldiers to adopt nationalist beliefs, and infiltrating the German Workers' Party. You could say that he saw his later career as a politician, as just an extension of these duties.

Back