Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Video: Do US soldiers have the right to protest war?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Garnet_StrongerThanYou, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Garnet_StrongerThanYou Purple Belt

So this guy got arrested.

My heart says Yes, but my brain says it’s a slippery slope. It’s not a soldiers place to decide where and when they’ll be fighting. That’s what they agreed to when they became a soldier.

The next war is bullshit. The last one was too. But I don’t think it’s Up to him.

2. Ophydian Red Belt

Active duty does not have any rights. You signed up you do the time.

3. TheGreatA Silver Belt

Legally? Probably not. But morally? Of course.

Obviously, a soldier who protests against war, will have to deal with the consequences of that. Unlike with conscription armies, nobody forces the U.S. soldier to take an oath.

If your superiors told you to, for example, direct your weapons at the American people, then you'd have to be a man and protest against such a decision, no matter the consequence.

I'd take prison time over killing innocent people, any day.

4. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

A congressman who's a national guardsman critizied the governor for a decision. He was then punished by his national guard reporting officer for speaking out against the govenor who's technically all of their boss's.

Soldiers really don't have rights to say anything against their superiors unless it is to speak out against an illegal order

5. The Merchant Brown Belt

After the nuremberg trials and not being able to say "only following orders" then it sort of stands to reason you have to have a say.

6. SammyPops Gold Belt

Following Nuremberg trials- absilutelly yes!

7. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Just going off the top of my head, I'd think so. Probably not while in uniform or while performing any required task. And there's probably a limitation on what type of protests they can stage because of the oaths associated with the job. But after all of the caveats...probably.

8. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Active duty? I doubt it. That seems like grounds for dismissal.

9. Mendacious Banned Banned

I don’t think so. I don’t think it’s good for morale or public image. I’ve never been part of the military but I certainly wouldn’t want any of my peers to be less dedicated than I am.

Veterans that have done their service? Yes. But active members especially in combat roles? They should be dismissed, IMO.

You don’t have to agree, but you don’t have to let the world know either.

10. AlexDB9 Banned Banned

Hmmm isn’t that kind of like being a vegan butcher?

11. KeepItRealist Gold Belt

These people are among the most pathetic. And they are almost always POGs and those who worked on staff. Millions have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just as millions served in Vietnam. But it's a handful of assholes like this that people pretend represent a significant number of veterans, rather than themselves.

12. oldshadow Steel Belt

Sure he is free to do it. However he is not free from the consequences. Like being discharged with a BCD or something like that.

13. tramendous Silver Belt

I think this whole thing is a great example of legal isnt the same as moral. Perhaps his patriotism to his country or his conscience compels him to speak up regardless of the legal consequences. It would have probably been better if there was more opposition to the Iraq war and is also better for america if veterans and other citizens protest actions like it.

14. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

A soldier should be the first person allowed to protest War.

15. Makani Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free

Seems pretty akin to protesting unsafe working conditions.

16. Strychnine Steel Belt

Retired Airman here...

"Permissible Political Activity by Military Members
    While active military members can and should register to vote and cast votes, and may express a personal opinion on political candidates and issues, they can't express opinions on behalf of or as a representative of the U.S. military.

Military members also may promote and encourage other military members to vote as long as they're not attempting to interfere with or affect the outcome of an election. They're also allowed to join political clubs and attend its meetings as long as they're not in uniform."

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/military-folks-and-politics-3332818

I always kept my opinions to myself, did my duty, and voted how I wanted. I kept politics out of the shop.

But that's just me.

17. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

Translation: Anyone not grateful to become cannon fodder in a military action that has no connection to defense of the US is a selfish piece of shit!

18. usmctanker242 Red Belt

The US has an all-volunteer military so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to enlist and then protest war. I think the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) has this covered and Article 88 would certainly apply to commissioned officers in this sense. Instead of directly saying they can't protest war they would probably frame it as you disrespecting the commander in chief / congress.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/punitive-articles-of-the-ucmj-3356854
    Article 88 : “Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

For enlisted they would probably hit you with Article 134 which is called the "general" or "catch all" article of the UCMJ. Basically it's a provision to punish someone for doing something which isn't directly covered by any of the other articles.

When in the military your 1st amendment rights aren't necessarily "active" so your speech and behavior are controlled. A bunch of years ago a Sergeant in the Marine Corps got into some trouble for running a Facebook page which was speaking negatively about President Obama.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marines-discharge-sergeant-for-anti-obama-facebook-posts/

19. freakroor Brown Belt

Yes of course anyone can protest anything, to make that illegal would be un-American. It doesn't mean there won't be any consequences from their employer though. They should obviously be fired if they won't do their job,. What did they expect when they enlisted?

exactly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  20. Shinigami Blue Belt

Not unless they were drafted. Otherwise, back to the front. You will do what I say when I say...