VIDEO: Dave Herman tased by cops

oh, So cops can pretty much charge every person in every stop with assaulting an officer then.

If you're fucking yelling at them they will.

Got it, you know if you drive 10 feet over what ever number the officer has in his head he will then proceed to being *annoyed* and therefore automatically tase you as soon as you step out of the car with your hands up about to get down onto your stomach.

Got it, logic at its best.

On a side note, if he did 80 miles an hour trying to evade cops i would understand but him going at a normal speed, while yielding properly and following the law just so he can pull over at a more proper area is not a crime..... 3 miles in a car on a highway is 5 minutes.....Nothing he did was illegal or unreasonable.... From any aspect.

It's 3 miles with 2 patrol cars following you. He goes another mile sure no real issue. 3 miles though while it goes quick on a highway is still far enough that cops will wonder why you haven't pulled over, especially when they already flashed you to do so, and have a second patrol car there.

Also, unless he was ASKED to step out of the care he never should have.

Last edited:
U guys serious? His Wife was very rude and demanded the cop show 3 forms of ID.

Look, I don't like cops more than anybody else but they deal with fuck heads all day and dangerous people.

When you are dealing with them just be brief and respectful and everybody will be on their separate ways soon enough.

Add to this situation 1) A Rude Woman + 2) A GIGANTIC HW MMA fighter and you're surprised the cops use a taser? Seriously? If I was a cop and ran into ANYBODY this size and the situation was even remotely dangerous I would taze the shit out of him.

I am obviously not on Herman's side in this situation, but you run a pretty slippery slope if your judgment on tazing someone has to do with the fact if they are big or not. If some 145 lbs sparkplug does the same thing is it ok to not taze him but you taze someone in the same situation because he's big?

Probably should pull over and/or listen to cops next time.

exactly on what planet do these idiots live on where its ok. to keep driving for "3 miles or so" when the cops are pulling you over?
and then when you do finally stop you start disobeying them and demanding things from them and refusing their orders... yeah he got tazed and he deserved it.
this whole 3 forms of id sounds like bs as well. yeah any one could have a uniform.. and a badge, and a taser, oh yeah and a police car, with the flashing lights and siren. give me a fucking break... "well lit area" my ass.
he was given numerous warnings even on this clearly edited video. In my eyes he gave the cops no choice.

This exactly. The ID rule does not mean the police have to drop everything they are doing and dig out their IDs. The guy was behaving like a common criminal, so he got treated like one. Sounds like he was using every excuse he could find (not pulling over until he found a place that was acceptable, demanding the 3 IDs immediately, getting out and approaching the police) to fuck with them. For every idiot that does shit like that to prove a point, there's ten that do it because they have very bad intentions. He chose the path that situation went.

So beyond stupid.... so, if they're required to show ID to prove they are actually law enforcement officers, you're saying that the time to prove that is AFTER the potential impostor with bad intentions has you subdued and restrained? Absolutely, if there is some sort of emergency circumstances, they would take precedence. This doesn't qualify.

"Oops, sorry, we're actually murderers and rapists, we don't have ID. Sorry about that."

oh, So cops can pretty much charge every person in every stop with assaulting an officer then.

No. That would be a complete waste of everyone's time. Its a matter of charging what the District Attorney is going to actually prosecute. If Herman was in the state of Colorado he would have been charged with Obstruction for impeding officers investigation. Every state is different and has different statutes where this type of behavior would fit under.

What the equivalent is for Indiana honestly have no clue but they're not gonna need to "trump up any charges".

Got it, you know if you drive 10 feet over what ever number the officer has in his head he will then proceed to being *annoyed* and therefore automatically tase you as soon as you step out of the car with your hands up about to get down onto your stomach.

Got it, logic at its best.

On a side note, if he did 80 miles an hour trying to evade cops i would understand but him going at a normal speed, while yielding properly and following the law just so he can pull over at a more proper area is not a crime..... 3 miles in a car on a highway is 5 minutes.....Nothing he did was illegal or unreasonable.... From any aspect.

By Herman's wife's own admission, their car was having problems. That's why they turned the hazard lights on. So depending on what the problem was with their car, they may have been breaking the law by driving an unsafe vehicle.

In any case, if they felt their problems were significant enough to turn on their hazard lights so they could warn other drivers, they shouldn't have been surprised to see the cops take an interest in them.

As already said this was made into a much larger ordeal than it should have been and that was because of Herman.

He refused to stop for 3 miles, making the police feel as though he was trying to flee so they called in reinforcements. He then proceeded to get out of the vehicle and confront multiple officers and ordered them to present three forms of I.D. Something a uniformed office doesn't have to do and something any officer wont do until he is sure the possible suspect is not a threat.

They used the taser for the exact reason cops carry them, to subdue someone without hurting them or getting to close to where they could be hurt or have their guns potentially grabbed. And he was warned multiple times that if he did not comply they were going to tase him.

Unless they had no legal reason to be pulling Herman over I don't see anything wrong with the officers actions.

The hermans could have saved their own lives that night by driving to a well lit area where there may be surveillance cameras the way they did, cops obviously were up to something given their aggression that night and the fact they turned off all their cameras before the stop.

So beyond stupid.... so, if they're required to show ID to prove they are actually law enforcement officers, you're saying that the time to prove that is AFTER the potential impostor with bad intentions has you subdued and restrained? Absolutely, if there is some sort of emergency circumstances, they would take precedence. This doesn't qualify.

"Oops, sorry, we're actually murderers and rapists, we don't have ID. Sorry about that."

If "murderers and rapists," who have gone to the trouble of driving a marked police car and wearing police uniforms, follow you to a well-lit gas station and point a gun at you telling you to lie down, how helpful will it be for you in that situation to demand their IDs first?

If they went to that trouble to get you, you're dead anyway.

exactly on what planet do these idiots live on where its ok. to keep driving for "3 miles or so" when the cops are pulling you over?
and then when you do finally stop you start disobeying them and demanding things from them and refusing their orders... yeah he got tazed and he deserved it.
this whole 3 forms of id sounds like bs as well. yeah any one could have a uniform.. and a badge, and a taser, oh yeah and a police car, with the flashing lights and siren. give me a fucking break... "well lit area" my ass.
he was given numerous warnings even on this clearly edited video. In my eyes he gave the cops no choice.

Actually, it is completely legal and legit to wait until you find a safe, well-lit area to pull over. So the particular planet would be Earth, and the country would be the USA.

http://www.smithlaw.bz/lawyer-attorney-1181604.html

https://www.greenwood.in.gov/egov/apps/faq/list.egov (see the last FAQ question, accounts have them driving to the gas station with their hazards on).

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/9767752.html?m=y

All links I posted were specific to Indiana, where this occurred. A more relevant question would be what planet or authoritarian hell-hole are your from?

The hermans could have saved their own lives that night by driving to a well lit area where there may be surveillance cameras the way they did, cops obviously were up to something given their aggression that night and the fact they turned off all their cameras before the stop.

Yep, the Hermans escaped by the skin of their teeth. Those killer cops almost got them, but the Hermans' thoughtful, well-executed plans saved their family.

If "murderers and rapists," who have gone to the trouble of driving a marked police car and wearing police uniforms, follow you to a well-lit gas station and point a gun at you telling you to lie down, how helpful will it be for you in that situation to demand their IDs first?

If they went to that trouble to get you, you're dead anyway.

Maybe practically true, but the idea that they don't have to show ID until later is a stupid one. They prove who they are, THEN you are required to comply.

The point is cops are using violence without ever even comming close to being in any danger, not what Dave did or did not do.
All the rest is not of any importance.

Maybe practically true, but the idea that they don't have to show ID until later is a stupid one. They prove who they are, THEN you are required to comply.

You have two patrol cars following you. Do you really think some dimebag thief or murderer is going to go through the trouble of getting two marked patrol cars and matching uniforms? Come on man....

I hope you guys supporting Herman have fun getting tased as well when you act like the little 5'2'' bi-curious 16 year old with something to prove around the police.

As already said this was made into a much larger ordeal than it should have been and that was because of Herman.

He refused to stop for 3 miles, making the police feel as though he was trying to flee so they called in reinforcements. He then proceeded to get out of the vehicle and confront multiple officers and ordered them to present three forms of I.D. Something a uniformed office doesn't have to do and something any officer wont do until he is sure the possible suspect is not a threat.

They used the taser for the exact reason cops carry them, to subdue someone without hurting them or getting to close to where they could be hurt or have their guns potentially grabbed. And he was warned multiple times that if he did not comply they were going to tase him.

Unless they had no legal reason to be pulling Herman over I don't see anything wrong with the officers actions.

Unless he was driving those three miles at speed or accelerating away, then, no, it's not "fleeing." And they are required to show ID, that's state law. He turned away from them, and had his hands displayed, they had multiple officers with weapons trained on him. There was NOTHING stopping them from complying with the law, as requested. This attitude that the police get to fuck people up because, you know, they're cops is asinine. There was never a reason to tase him, at all. They are fucked, because there is video evidence that they also lied about his actions leading up to it, so they falsified police reports.

This.

Also this whole "3 ID" thing seems to me like some Urban Legend. Notice the credentials of the people replying to this person's 3 ID question

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/if-you-ask-a-police-officer-for-three-forms-of-ide-1692104.html

I am far from a fan of police but yea, they were totally justified with that they did.

I love this response:

Phillip Rosmarin said:
Technically when he showed you the jail that was his third form of ID.

That's not even the issue I had. Herman had his hands up while they were screaming at him, then he dropped them and turned towards them. Odds are it wasn't aggressive, but cops can't take chances.

The cops were right to be on edge. Herman drove 3 miles before pulling over then he jumped out of his vehicle. Add that to him not cooperating, then making a move in their direction, it's no wonder they shot him.

I'm totally against police brutality, but this was totally justified.

This.

All he needed to do to entirely avoid this whole situation is shut the fuck up, do what he was told, and stop being a dipshit about asking a cop... in uniform... that pulled him over in a cruiser... for ID.

You have two patrol cars following you. Do you really think some dimebag thief or murderer is going to go through the trouble of getting two marked patrol cars and matching uniforms? Come on man....

Which as NOTHING to do with the fact that they are REQUIRED BY LAW to show identification, as the Hermans requested. It's not just for protection from fake cops, but also puts cops that want to abuse their authority in the mindset that they can't hide behind anonymity.

Regardless of the reason, the police don't get to decide that they want to ignore the law. The police, more than anyone, do not get to do this.

Back