Video: Criticize my first fight

Kanka

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hey what's up guys. Ive been training muay thai for about 8 months in total and recently had my first fight. My original opponent withdrew so i had to fight a guy that was 33 lbs heavier than me.

I had slept less than an hour the whole night and i was really nervous so i felt like i underperformed. I also had a not fully healed left ankle that i hurt again in the first round, but whatever. The rules were no elbows, no knees/kicks to the head and no knocking out the opponent lol. My boxing skills really suck, and even more when i have to control my power, as you can see in the video. I noticed alotta flaws in my game, but maybe you more experienced guys can point out things that i haven't noticed. :wink:

I'm the shorter guy in red headgear.

Last edited:
Newbie here too, my first fight will be on june 1st (i've been training for 4 months) and i'm feeling nervous too haha. One thing i can say is that you should have focused on giving body kicks rather than headkicks because the guy was so much taller than you. I dunno man just man 2 cents.

Anyway good video though :icon_chee, i'll post the video of my 1st fight too if ever. Good luck!

Good fight, especially against a much bigger opponent. Your body kicks looked great. Well done.

Newbie here too, my first fight will be on june 1st (i've been training for 4 months) and i'm feeling nervous too haha. One thing i can say is that you should have focused on giving body kicks rather than headkicks because the guy was so much taller than you. I dunno man just man 2 cents.

Anyway good video though :icon_chee, i'll post the video of my 1st fight too if ever. Good luck!

Thanks. I didn't like kicking the body protection thing so thats why i was aiming for his arms.

Good luck in your fight!

Personally, I think you won that fight. What I think you should work on more though is covering up a bit more just to make sure your defense is extra tight and of course your boxing skill.

The main thing I'd advice though is sparring using a push kick/teep more often. Because there were a few moments in that fight where he bullrushed you that you could have stopped if you teeped as he charged in, because him moving into the teep (especially one from a southpaw stance) would cause a collision to his liver. A good teep can neutralise your opponents offense (a good example of this is Giorgio Petrosyan) and also because you seem to be more comfortable kicking, it will keep him in your kicking range.

Of course I realise that you did throw teeps but I didn't really see you do it under pressure.

But you fought a really good fight and I personally think you won, it didn't seem like he was able to do much to you. :)

Your kicks have pretty good form.

Work on putting combos together more, like opening up with quick accurate Martin Kampmann type punches to the head to set up one of your body kicks or leg kicks.

Especially with the leg kicks, you'll be able to land them more effectively if you make him plant his feet and put his hands up to block. Shogun explains it here

http://youtu.be/lYdi1Q_1vFg?t=7m16s

@Andy if i use the teep im always worried that ill get sweeped lol. But yeah i will try to work on that.

@Manji Thanks. My left leg is still in pain so i sparred without it today. Really had to work on my boxing skills... already feel like im 10 times better than before loll.

@Andy if i use the teep im always worried that ill get sweeped lol. But yeah i will try to work on that..

That's an understandable fear, just try to make sure that you know how to time it and that its quick :) if your opponent is too busy trying to come towards you then he won't think to sweep your leg, but don't throw it just out of nowhere because that's when you'll get sweeped :p

Good luck though man, you're really good

I thought you looked great. I agree with the Teep/Front Kick when he was moving forward to smother you and going through the standard left right combos. You threw the Teep/Front Kick a few times but he wasn't moving forward. And I also agree you won. I think you even stunned him around 4:05. His boxing was all over the place.

You were like a rock em sock em robot. You did really well in kick range and came forward when you wanted to, but didn't move your feet a lot. If you could add some circling so that you could stop him from coming forward when he wanted to (right now it's like you both were just "taking turns" and letting the other one "take his turn") you could have made a fight like that very one sided in your favor.

It was terrible! You move like a drunk camel! My grandma does Muay Thai better than you!

Well, you did say criticize it.

You were like a rock em sock em robot. You did really well in kick range and came forward when you wanted to, but didn't move your feet a lot. If you could add some circling so that you could stop him from coming forward when he wanted to (right now it's like you both were just "taking turns" and letting the other one "take his turn") you could have made a fight like that very one sided in your favor.

Ok thanks yeah ill definitly work on that

Your hands were floating around waaay too much. No checking kicks. You need to set up punches with your kicks. I'm no pro, just a beginner myself so just food for thought. Your opponent seemed like he had no clue what he was doing though and shouldn't have even been allowed to fight lol

Back