video claims NO martial art is effective against knife assailant

Moral of story, don't get into bar fights? Oh and stay away from knifes

jahred said:
that's a good video. you might want to include a WARNING for the graphic shots in the middle of it though, blegh. :p

what's it like having a vagina?

I love the ones that say a good front kick to the gut will work or kicks, yes they will if the guy is rushing you, I've been though enough training to know someone with a knife usually doesn't rush in, they come in slow and methodically (even the best amateur will not rush in), so kicking is a good way to get your mobile parts of your body cut up.

As said here, best to beat feet and come back another day if that's your nitch in life.

Most good knife fighers are slick with the blade. They will not pull it and show it to you and then attack you. They are going to have it concealed well and pop you with a surprise attack. To say that no martial art works against a knife is ridiculous. All attacks are an exercise in tactics, positioning and conditioned response. So not panicking and responding without thought is critical. I have taught hand-to-hand and hand-to-weapons for years and that is the essence of the art.

All of that said most good instructors will tell you in a sense a knife is more dangerous than a gun in terms of the angles from which you are vulnerable to attack. Any time you can avoid conflict of any kind, its a very good idea. But criminals don't ask their victims first - so as always situational awareness is key - if it feels like something is wrong or you are getting into a bad spot chances are you're right.

Ok, guys... here's the thing: if the guy is really trying to kill you, and not just "cut you up" or "stick you" and he's an adult male of average size and strength and athletic ability-- YOU ARE IN TROUBLE.

Yes, you can survive and get away and maybe you could even kill him (hey, it's possible) but the smart money is ALWAYS on the guy with the knife (if he's really trying to kill). Always.

Uh, no. Knife defence systems do work. I know a guy who came to my school and was a pizza deliverer and I was teaching him basic knife defence. Well guess what, someone tryed to rob him and had a knife and was able to disarm him and he stabed him in the leg and called the police. Those tiny basic knife defence tactics saved his life. As for the police officers, I've seen the knife training for the sherifs department in my area and it was'nt that good, so I wouldnt really rely on beliving martial arts are worthless for knife defence based on a test done on police officers. Some people that teach the knife just do it in a poor way though. Dont listen to this video.

The best defense against a knife assailant is a gun (I like the .45 the best). Create distance between you and the knife, pull out the gun and BOOM BOOM BOOM 3 to the center mass. To be honest, if someone pulls a knife on me and I don't have an equally effective weapon, then I'm running as fast and far as possible. Call me a pansy, but I believe it's the best thing to do.

If your being attacked by a trained knife fighter, or just someone who has been in enough knife fights to be good, your screwed, run. But if some carzy guy charges you from ten feet away, a straight kick to the gut/hip would seem to work pretty well. Likewise, if someone is standing in front of you with a knife (and the knife is holding still) trying to rob you, it seems like you would have a resonably good chance of getting control of it. But if you'r unarmed and even an untrained assailent is advancing slowly on you with a knife, feinting and lunging, I realy don't think even the best trained people would have a good chance. Of course it's better to try something than do nothing.

"grab a chair, create distance"

-BR

nuff said?

No way? Really? Well, that settles it...I'm taking my Anna Linds' Secrets Of Swedish Street-Lethal Knife Defense DVD box set and chucking it in the shitcan.

Who said this? I can't seem to find this particular idiot.

Anyway, nobody who has a clue is going to suggest that there's some unarmed defense against a knife which will almost certainly render your attacker helpless while allowing you to walk away unscathed. It's possible (my instructor got a pig-sticker or two pulled on him during his bouncer days) but not entirely likely. Chances are, if you keep your wits about you and apply whatever training you have properly, he'll go the ER or the morgue and you'll go to the ER and *not* the morgue.

true

What's with the dude playing the drums during the training fight?

Pro martial artists will be good against armed assailants. simply due to the fact that most pro's run for fitness. and the best defence against a knife? that's right fuckos, run.

this rsk of getting caught if FAR too high to try and control the situation.

it depends on how skilled w/ the blade the assailant is.

I had a guy draw a butterfly knife on me, we were really close and I didn't really know if he was gonan jsut scare me or stab me, he kept waving it about, folding it up down and twisting it, probably believed that he loked ool doing it. SO when I see the blade is inside the handles I kick him in the nuts, hard. He goes down I put a knee down on his chest hard and kidna armbar him to let the knife go. I was gonna throw it out the window but I miss and the knife unfolds and hits the wall and stays lodged into the wall

<div><object width="425" height="335"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="334"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="">KNIFE DEFENSE IN MARTIAL ARTS IS MYTH</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Knife">Knife</a></i></div>

kinda interesting, but yeah ofcourse you should stay out of fighting people with knives, makes obvious sense.

Knife fights are terrible the only REAL ART that works awesome with and bare handed against knives is phillipino knife fighting.

Fast no B.S. and realistic

But no way i would ever fight someone with a knife i think it is too dangerous and you always get cutt

Back