video claims NO martial art is effective against knife assailant

Sleepdancer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
<div><object width="425" height="335"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3I7KVtHijaH402iJf"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3I7KVtHijaH402iJf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="334"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbrcd_knife-defense-in-martial-arts-is-my">KNIFE DEFENSE IN MARTIAL ARTS IS MYTH</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Knife">Knife</a></i></div>

kinda interesting, but yeah ofcourse you should stay out of fighting people with knives, makes obvious sense.

that's a good video. you might want to include a WARNING for the graphic shots in the middle of it though, blegh. :p

That is the most biased and completely untrue BS i've ever heard. Firstly, the police officer's test. When someone lunges at you, especially from a short distance, the last thing you should do is go for your gun. There isn't enough time.

The second encounter on that clip the guy was just dancing around trying to pick a shot at the attacker. You do not engauge someone with a weapon. You evade, control and then counter.

Your first priority is evasion/blocking. Reaction time is a factor, both yours and the attacker's. Straight front kicks and low kicks are your best option, they stop/unbalance the attacker and they leave your hands free to defend the knife.

I have seen three people attacked by someone weilding a knife in my life. Two were regular people with no martial arts training and they still managed to evade the attacker with only one of them getting a minor superficial cut.

The other was a guy who had three years of muay thai training. He stopped the attack with a front kick to the attacker's gut and then grabbed and controlled the knife hand with both of his. After that it got really ugly for the knife attacker, he got pressed up against a nearby car and demolished by knee strikes. Once he dropped the knife, that left him open to elbow strikes from his victim. Two broken ribs, a broken nose and a crushed orbital bone later the cops arrived and took him away to the hospital and then from there jail.

All three of those attacks happened within 10 feet of separation.

theres no telling what can happen

but ill put my money on the knife

About the police: A trained policer would **ALWAYS** have his hand on the holster open if someone has both hands behind his back, those demonstration shows the officers with hands to the side walking casually.

Also those knife assailants looks professional.

What this guy is doing in this video is just the flip side of the same coin where someone stages a knife attack where everything goes the defenders' way and the assailant does what he's supposed to do. It's crap.

First of all, I know people who've defended themselves quite ably from people with knives. Therefore, his entire thesis goes right out the window from the word "go."

Secondly, any of the cops in the video who would actually respond to a knife attack by drawing their gun and assuming a full Weaver stance to engage someone charging at them from 10 feet away is either untrained, stupid, or both. Properly trained police officers learn instinctive shooting techniques designed to be deployed in such situations. Of course, what the video also fails to address (or deliberately ignores, since it'd blow their whole premise out of the water) is that a simplefront thrusting kick at the midsection of a charging opponent will, if successfully executed (and it's not hard to do) easily drop someone either hard enough to end the fight or forcefully enough to buy you all the time you need gain the upper hand.

And it doesn't help that the music sucks.

So then: was there some point to this load of shit? Am I supposed to just accept that any idiot with a knife will filet my dumb ass if I run afoul of him and pray I don't get attacked in such a way?

If the photos aren't a reason to incorporate edged weapons into your self defense training then i don't know what is.

Gregster said:
So then: was there some point to this load of shit? Am I supposed to just accept that any idiot with a knife will filet my dumb ass if I run afoul of him and pray I don't get attacked in such a way?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's REALLY REALLY easy to shoot or stab somebody if you want to, you have initiative, and they are unarmed. I mean REALLY fucking easy. Unless you are a total tard, you are up 20 to 1 against an unarmed opponent.

People seem to forget that those knife guys are professionals? How many trained knifer assailants do you meet in the streets?

k1 man said:
People seem to forget that those knife guys are professionals? How many trained knifer assailants do you meet in the streets?

6 .

This vid isnt complete BS, Anna Lind (swedish politic) got stabbed/killed, and this is the way I would imagine someone assult you with a knife if he really wants you dead.

The knife man in this case tackled her with his left shoulder while he stabbed her multible times with his right hand. NO material art can possible defend against such, especially if you dont see it comming.

most people who have a knife are thinking singuarly about the knife, the top priority should be isolating the knife, not trying to pat it away, then the guy will get distraight that he cannot use his 'superior weaponry" or punch you whatever, which is relativley harmless, plus you got his arm.

bullshit or not im not trying to mess with someone with a knife.

villin said:
That is the most biased and completely untrue BS i've ever heard. Firstly, the police officer's test. When someone lunges at you, especially from a short distance, the last thing you should do is go for your gun. There isn't enough time.

The second encounter on that clip the guy was just dancing around trying to pick a shot at the attacker. You do not engauge someone with a weapon. You evade, control and then counter.

Your first priority is evasion/blocking. Reaction time is a factor, both yours and the attacker's. Straight front kicks and low kicks are your best option, they stop/unbalance the attacker and they leave your hands free to defend the knife.

I have seen three people attacked by someone weilding a knife in my life. Two were regular people with no martial arts training and they still managed to evade the attacker with only one of them getting a minor superficial cut.

The other was a guy who had three years of muay thai training. He stopped the attack with a front kick to the attacker's gut and then grabbed and controlled the knife hand with both of his. After that it got really ugly for the knife attacker, he got pressed up against a nearby car and demolished by knee strikes. Once he dropped the knife, that left him open to elbow strikes from his victim. Two broken ribs, a broken nose and a crushed orbital bone later the cops arrived and took him away to the hospital and then from there jail.

All three of those attacks happened within 10 feet of separation.

well next time im attacked by a knife wielding maniac ill remember to draw my cell phone and call on you champion of knife defense, wielding the deepest knowledge a book can give.

This video is brilliant and has been posted some time ago. Anyone posting who thinks that the knife attacker is weak, slow, untrained, etc is an idiot. The tales of poeple who have beaten knife attackers well big fucking deal because they are in the minority. Prisons are full of people who have succesfully injured and killed people with knives.

OF COURSE trying to engage someone with a knife is bullshit if you can evade. But when you've got no choice, instead of just lying down and taking it, there is a martial art effective for knife defense - Arnis/Tulisan/Escrima and the oither variants of this Filipino martial art.

I have PERSONALLY witnessed its effectiveness for knife defense in close quarters. My friend was attacked by a balisong inside the confines of a jeepney. He closed in, trapped the forearm, and reversed the direction of the blade. The attacker ended up stabbing himself in the gut. All my friend got was a long cut on the side of his hand that took a couple of stitches.

He was an arnis teacher for 15 years, the bastard had forearms like iron bars. Afterwards, when he had healed up, I asked him t show me what he had done - unbelievably smooth, fast and efficient. Let's just say a foreigner like me became a rabid fan of the Filipino arts.

These guys are like ninjas. Just always wear a gutplate made of steel, he'll try to open you up, the knife will be deflected off the gutplate and you can counter.

TeemingSoul said:
This vid isnt complete BS, Anna Lind (swedish politic) got stabbed/killed, and this is the way I would imagine someone assult you with a knife if he really wants you dead.

No way? Really? Well, that settles it...I'm taking my Anna Linds' Secrets Of Swedish Street-Lethal Knife Defense DVD box set and chucking it in the shitcan.

cleetusvandamme said:
Anyone posting who thinks that the knife attacker is weak, slow, untrained, etc is an idiot.

Who said this? I can't seem to find this particular idiot.

Anyway, nobody who has a clue is going to suggest that there's some unarmed defense against a knife which will almost certainly render your attacker helpless while allowing you to walk away unscathed. It's possible (my instructor got a pig-sticker or two pulled on him during his bouncer days) but not entirely likely. Chances are, if you keep your wits about you and apply whatever training you have properly, he'll go the ER or the morgue and you'll go to the ER and *not* the morgue.

Back