(vid) Royce Gracie trains Stand Up

This is a cool video.. Royce talking about GJJ not being enough in MMA is something I didn't think I'd ever hear.

Bring on Hughes for a rematch IMO.

if you watch the hughes fight again... the reason why he was beaten so badly was because of his false hope of standup. hes been training a lot at fairtex for the past couple of years. when hughes clinched, royce tried to throw an elbow instead of fight for underhooks... then he was taken down into sidemount, and we all know what happened. royce should learn standup but stay true to his game.

you dont see mark coleman pulling guard now do you.

if you watch the hughes fight again... the reason why he was beaten so badly was because of his false hope of standup. hes been training a lot at fairtex for the past couple of years. when hughes clinched, royce tried to throw an elbow instead of fight for underhooks... then he was taken down into sidemount, and we all know what happened. royce should learn standup but stay true to his game.

umm Mark Coleman has been training with BMA_Matt so expect him to pullguard to armbar....true story.

That's an interesting point. I was just thinking how some of his older fights might not have gone as well if he tried to mix up his game before looking for the clinch. I arrived to the conclusion that he didn't have to mix it up, because the take down always worked.

In the video he talks more about learning this stuff for defense, but also having the option of knocking someone out appeals to him. I think it's a necessary step for the evolution of GJJ to incorporate some stand up, because noone is going to give you the take down these days. Everyone has a sprawl, and you don't want a lanky 170 pound guy defenseless against strikes inbetween stuffed take down attempts.

This is probably a part of what made Rickson such a better MMA fighter. He anticipated the need for a stand up game and developed that part of GJJ a decade before his brothers.

HAHA did I just hear him say that he is the best submission fighter in the world? Ahh the arrogance!

Is it just me but I didnt see ANY power in any of his punches or kicks....nor that old dude that was teaching him. I also dont understand how the "states" only teach point fighting??

It goes to show how poorly the family gets along. Renzo's academy proably has everything royce could ever need.

he's just one of those guys that could work standy up forever and never be good becasue he's a very poor athlete. Best grappler in the world LOL

It goes to show how poorly the family gets along. Renzo's academy proably has everything royce could ever need.

I think it has more to do with promotional deals for training at Fairtex. Though, I agree that Royce has definitely deviated more towards the Renzo style of things than the path Rorion and Royler took.

It may have been Sakuraba 1 that started the change. Royce wasn't able to get that fight to the ground, and his brothers didn't have a whole lot to offer from his corner as a result.

HAHA did I just hear him say that he is the best submission fighter in the world? Ahh the arrogance!

Is it just me but I didnt see ANY power in any of his punches or kicks....nor that old dude that was teaching him. I also dont understand how the "states" only teach point fighting??

You're right. I was'nt impressed with that guy at all. Also, Denmark is an interesting choice when Holland is so close by.

Back