Social Vid resurfaces of Louie CK and Gervais Dropping N-bomb

Saw Louis CK in person back in the 90's at a little comedy club, never laughed as hard as I have that night.

But I disagree that they are “only words”. I think it’s certainly possible to use the term in service of comedy or social commentary, but that’s not the same thing.
The eternal debate right there.

In the context of the bit, I see it as a brilliant setup for a perfect joke, where Carlin meticulously arranges a punchline that gets a huge laugh, simply by calling Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy ******s. It's beautiful for how it plays the taboo. One of the best jokes ever told. It's almost like he did it to win a bet or something.

But the side of the debate Carlin gives is absolutely true. Words are symbols and always will be, and do not correspond to some underlying mathematical truth and they are only temporary, changing manifestations of our thoughts. It is always the context of the usage of the word that matters most. If the word is used gratuitously, or too much, that carelessness is part of the context that makes the use of the word problematic.

At the same time, there is a special significance to the words that we use carefully. ****** is the one we use most carefully. Or at least, it's used carefully when a person outside of the acceptable group says it, which otherwise is used like a comma, which is another layer of depth to the word that makes it so interesting, but not to digress. There are people who argue convincingly that we should use the power of the strong words sparingly, both to be polite and to retain their strength (to illustrate, picture the power of Seinfeld saying "fuck"). I don't know which is right, but I like the tension between those two points of view. In any case, both arguments concede that context is the most important factor.

Goshdarnit. Who's next? Bob Saget?

Maybe CK and Gervais got robbed by a black guy on Christmas eve

We have created a spectator culture. People are so wrapped up with how they should feel/what they should think about things they have the least influence over.

https://www-vulture-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2018/12/louis-c-k-drops-hard-r-n-words-in-old-clip-twitter-erupts.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/louis-c-k-drops-hard-r-n-words-in-old-clip-twitter-erupts.html

Louie CK is not only a sex criminal he's also a classless goof. This is not ok. While the first Amendment gives CK and Gervais the right to say the N word, it also allows me to voice my disgust at their classlessness and idiocy.

Seinfield, a man who also dated a teen while he was in his late thirties, seems to be the only with a modicum of tact in the group.

What say you? Are people right to be raising a ruckus about this in social media?

give-a-fuck-o-meter_o_603532.gif

Wait, people are just finding out about this? The whole point of the conversation was to talk about comedy. Are there limits? What makes things funny. The use of this particular word was the further the conversation because you have two comedian that have used it and two that did not.

The eternal debate right there.

In the context of the bit, I see it as a brilliant setup for a perfect joke, where Carlin meticulously arranges a punchline that gets a huge laugh, simply by calling Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy ******s. It's beautiful for how it plays the taboo. One of the best jokes ever told. It's almost like he did it to win a bet or something.

But the side of the debate Carlin gives is absolutely true. Words are symbols and always will be, and do not correspond to some underlying mathematical truth and they are only temporary, changing manifestations of our thoughts. It is always the context of the usage of the word that matters most. If the word is used gratuitously, or too much, that carelessness is part of the context that makes the use of the word problematic.

At the same time, there is a special significance to the words that we use carefully. ****** is the one we use most carefully. Or at least, it's used carefully when a person outside of the acceptable group says it, which otherwise is used like a comma, which is another layer of depth to the word that makes it so interesting, but not to digress. There are people who argue convincingly that we should use the power of the strong words sparingly, both to be polite and to retain their strength (to illustrate, picture the power of Seinfeld saying "fuck"). I don't know which is right, but I like the tension between those two points of view. In any case, both arguments concede that context is the most important factor.

Fawlty finds the n word interesting. Calling Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy the n word is one of the greatest jokes he's ever heard. Just some things that jumped out to me.

Wait, people are just finding out about this? The whole point of the conversation was to talk about comedy. Are there limits? What makes things funny. The use of this particular word was the further the conversation because you have two comedian that have used it and two that did not.

Context is anathema to the eternally outraged brigade. The whole point of whipping up this controversy is to get her face in the news and feel self righteous, with the by product of possibly destroying someone's career.

Context, facts, nuance, etc don't matter to the mob, when have they ever?

Oh no! The guy that fucked his refrigerator and made his dog lick his pants said the n word.

Fawlty finds the n word interesting. Calling Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy the n word is one of the greatest jokes he's ever heard. Just some things that jumped out to me.
It's probably the most interesting word in American English. Do you know of another word that is so deeply controversial, yet is also used so freely in some circles?

It's probably the most interesting word in American English. Do you know of another word that is so deeply controversial, yet is also used so freely in some circles?
"Know what I hate? When some white news caster says 'the n-word'. No, I don't mean n*****.. I mean 'the n-word' cause they say it and then I'm like 'oh, she means n*****'.... NOW YOU'RE MAKING ME SAY IT!"

Moist

I said the N word on stage in front of an all black crowd and they fucking loved it. It's all about context and whether or not it's funny. Most sane people aren't going to get offended by something as long as it is genuinely funny.

Back