[VID] My second amatuer fight [10/03/07]

looked good heavy hands there! Looks like you were wearing 16oz gloves??

You can see your improvement in the second fight. My advice is try not to wind up as much when your throwing a straight right. You're telagraphing a bit and when you move up in compotition you'll need to fix that.

congrats

couple questions:

what size glove were you guys wearing?

did you fight in muay thai rules? (clinch, knees, etc)

Dude your right cross is scary as hell!

Nice work man.

Hi guys, thanks for the thoughtful replies.

In the second fight (the first video posted) we are wearing 10oz gloves..and knees are allowed but not to the head and no elbows and the fight is at 165. The first fight (second video) is 16oz gloves, no knees, no elbows, and mma rules regarding submission etc (its shootboxing) and we're fighting at 170.

I am naturally around 170lbs and 6'2" so yeah a string bean.

Thats why i find King Kabuki's post so interesting,,,

Eh. So how exactly is it that changing his stance is going to help? Because your basic point is:

"Sooner or later you're going to come across someone better than you."

That always happens regardless. His stance is significant of possibly a different style. If he's got the same approach as everyone on a general level, he'll have the same weaknesses as everyone as well, and it becomes a simple formula to take that apart. IMO fighters should fight to what accentuates their strengths while learning to compensate for their weaknesses, but not necessarily by changing their basic format completely. There's answers to the weaknesses that don't necessitate that. And still someday they'll come across someone who just has their number.

The wide stance comes kind of natural to me i guess and i think i can get away with it because i am oftentimes fighting shorter opponents. Even though my reach is limited by the stance, good jabbing and strong straights has worked well for me. I have fairly quick feet due to years of soccer and so my footwork isn't that bad and thus i can get away with it all.

But yeah, i dont think i should discard what i have in the name of convention. My coach wanted me to tighten up the stance but then saw more pressing concerns... we're working on those and the stance is on hold... and who knows he might think its best i stick with it... for i think it gives me extra power and a bit of an intimidating aura (which is hard to generate as a string bean, believe me :)

So yeah, we'll have to see. But i apreciate your comments and i when i have a chance i am gonna check out those videos you reccommended King Kabuki.

Peace,

Alex

Great job man!!

I see you train at H20. When I lived in Montreal I meant to check them out, but never did. Other than Tri-star and GAMMA I think thats one of the best schools, from what I read/heard.

RE: your stance- I'm kinda similar, and it works very well for me. If it works, use it.

Keep up the good work!!

Alex Bon-Miller said:
Hi guys, i had my second amature fight at tristar gym in montreal... it was muay thai.
Here is the video...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5342657879201386535&hl=en-CA

and my first fight video if yer interested....

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-947733264077703997&q=alex+bon+miller&hl=en-CA

Any criticism will be appreciated.

Alex

First off I wanted to say nice fight. Good clean punches in there. As for your stance, maybe you should change if it you plan on going pro but it seems to work for you now.

Second, what makes an amateur fight in Canada? I'm not familiar with Canadian rules but that looked like what we call "smokers" here in California, which I understood to be exhibition matches. For that matter, does Canada use boxing commissions to sanction all of their amatuer/pro fights like in America? Thanks for any info.

BTW 6'2" and 170 lbs is a great fighting weight.

You can see your improvement in the second fight. My advice is try not to wind up as much when your throwing a straight right. You're telagraphing a bit and when you move up in compotition you'll need to fix that.

If you're referring to his punch at 1:11 of the second fight, it wasn't a wind-up. He feinted with the left hand. That's WHY he landed the punch flush. The left-hand feint got his opponent to think left and adjust his guard, opening him up for the cross. Excellent technique.

Also Alex, reviewing the fights I think you're on the right track. The two things I think you'd need to work on would be pin-point accuracy with your punches (rather than brawling) and hand-speed to accentuate your already obvious power. Your footwork is fine and I think that's WHY your opponents didn't think to attempt to leg-kick you so much. You weren't there to take a bunch of leg-kicks.

I see you train at H20. When I lived in Montreal I meant to check them out, but never did. Other than Tri-star and GAMMA I think thats one of the best schools, from what I read/heard.

Yeah, i really like it there. I train under Richard Ho who is a pro MMA fighter and a great teacher, he's in my corner wearing the black hoodie. We're a small gym but we're tight knit group and since the school is pretty new me and few others are like the first generation fighters coming out of the gym, so that's really nice because we are all progressing togetehr at kind of the same level. Come check us out if yer in Montreal again :)

Second, what makes an amateur fight in Canada? I'm not familiar with Canadian rules but that looked like what we call "smokers" here in California, which I understood to be exhibition matches. For that matter, does Canada use boxing commissions to sanction all of their amatuer/pro fights like in America? Thanks for any info.

BTW 6'2" and 170 lbs is a great fighting weight.

Well, i think this even was sanctioned by a muay thai commitee or body but i coulden't tell you the name of it. I don't think it contributes to an official record or anything, so these events are prolly pretty similar to the "smokers" yer describing.

Also, i am surprised you think being 6'2" at 170 is a good fight weight... for i feel like i am too big for 155 and too small for 170 (for MMA that is). I would prefer to fight at 170 but that means putting on alot of muscle me thinks.

If you're referring to his punch at 1:11 of the second fight, it wasn't a wind-up. He feinted with the left hand. That's WHY he landed the punch flush. The left-hand feint got his opponent to think left and adjust his guard, opening him up for the cross. Excellent technique.

Also Alex, reviewing the fights I think you're on the right track. The two things I think you'd need to work on would be pin-point accuracy with your punches (rather than brawling) and hand-speed to accentuate your already obvious power. Your footwork is fine and I think that's WHY your opponents didn't think to attempt to leg-kick you so much. You weren't there to take a bunch of leg-kicks.

Thanks. Yeah the little fake thing was something i practiced... mostly to slip is jab and deliver a right straight for a different angle for i do a little bit of a hop to right at the same time as i lift my left hand to protect my face.

As far as footwork goes and leg kicks. Another thing that i work on with my coach is to counter kicks with punches. In my first fight i think that's really what got me the victory, i was able to stuff all his attacks before he could get going. Whether he was kicking or not, i wanted to be in his face with punches so he thinks twice about everything he's doing. And for this most recent fight i wanted to counter the kicks immedietely with punches so that the kicks don't become a problem.

And yeah, foot work plays such a big role in defense. I watched the Benn vs Eubank fight and it was incredible! Eubank's footwork was really unique and i loved the way he would stand in front of Benn, unmoving challenging him to make a move... one of the best boxing bouts i have seen!

Alex

The best part was the post-fight interview where Eubank (having won)'s last comment is:

"I need to go to hothpital."

Your right hand is great man. You looked a lot sharper in the second fight. Why did the other guy stop?
I like wide stances too, I use a technique called carrot topping and it stops most Inside kicks. Your always gonna be open for some kind of leg kick, but train yourself to let a left hook go every time they throw an inside leg kick. Great fights though!

What weight class were you in?

Alex Bon-Miller said:
Well, i think this even was sanctioned by a muay thai commitee or body but i coulden't tell you the name of it. I don't think it contributes to an official record or anything, so these events are prolly pretty similar to the "smokers" yer describing.

Also, i am surprised you think being 6'2" at 170 is a good fight weight... for i feel like i am too big for 155 and too small for 170 (for MMA that is). I would prefer to fight at 170 but that means putting on alot of muscle me thinks.

Alex

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize MMA was your goal, but as far as Muay Thai goes you're a good size. As for putting on or losing a little bit of weight, your body will change a little bit as you continue to train. If you start training full time to be a professional MMA fighter, you might find your body size is plenty big. Keep up the hard work.

King Kabuki said:

King Kabuki is right, Alex can take the leg kicks if it's to place the huge bomb in the mofo's face...trust me, I know this, i'm the dude of the first fight

Good of you to post Benoit. Isn't this the second guy you've fought from Sherdog?

good work o both fight, nice quick right hand...i like it. keep us updated on your next fights.

how long have u been training?

Back