(vid) Bar

25 pounds for a person that small is kidney failure waiting to happen.

25 lbs is actually not that terrible. I think Ian McCall and Benavidez said they cut 25 lbs and they're even smaller than Barao. It depends how much he dieted to get there before hand and some other stuff too.

If the comment about him being up to 170 is true...ok yeah that could be a problem.

25 lbs is actually not that terrible. I think Ian McCall and Benavidez said they cut 25 lbs and they're even smaller than Barao. It depends how much he dieted to get there before hand and some other stuff too.

If the comment about him being up to 170 is true...ok yeah that could be a problem.

These boys ain't right! THEY AIN'T RIGHT! Hell's the matter wichu?!

So Barao weighs more on fight night than Frankie Edgar.
Frankie is one bad muthafucka.

These boys ain't right! THEY AIN'T RIGHT! Hell's the matter wichu?!
Are you aware that guys like Barao are not actually cutting 35lbs of water weight to make 135? Dieting is a thing. Most fighters will safely cut 10-15lbs of water using tried and true techniques (basically drinking less and less each day the week of weigh-ins) after already losing 10lbs of fat in training.

well, I'd say from 135lbs to 160lbs is a bit more rough on your body than from 155lbs to 183lbs (or idk which is his weight on fight night, guessing around it).

that body weight %.

Yeah, you are right. More muscle means more water that can be sucked out in the cutting process.

Most athletes are staying away from grains these days so I'm a bit surprised.

It's the new fad right now, the evil gluten and grains. Most likely it's bullshit, except if you have celiac disease or some similar condition.

It's on the same level as people thinking they have leaky guts, candida everywhere, that dairy is evil and paleo diet is the ultimate diet.

It's the new fad right now, the evil gluten and grains. Most likely it's bullshit, except if you have celiac disease or some similar condition.

It's on the same level as people thinking they have leaky guts, candida everywhere, that dairy is evil and paleo diet is the ultimate diet.
I just know quite a few UFC fighters avoid grains during camp. They must see some hit on their performance to do so.

Personally I'm not ceiliac but have done gluten free for a week trail period to see what it's all about and noticed less swelling in my stomach and more energy.

Most athletes are staying away from grains these days so I'm a bit surprised.

I highly doubt this.

Maybe a couple here and there, given the whole gluten paranoia, but I'd imagine the vast majority of athletes continue to down the rice and pasta on a daily basis.

Grains aren't that bad. Whole grain in small portion will do you good.

Refined grains aren't bad either.

The only people opposed to grains are the Paleo broscientists pushing their snake oil.

Well said.

Who should we trust?

Dr. McDougall, the Dean of Medical Practitioners in Nutrition-Centered Medicine, who has conducted decades of experiments and research into the effects of grain and carbohydrate consumption saying grains and carbs are good...

...or fat guys in their moms' basements eating Big Macs, proclaiming, "Durr, carbs are bad for your health, even though I can't even run a 10 minute mile. Bananas make you liek so fat! Sugar is the devil even though your brain runs on glucose!"

Back