vibrams

Davem10

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would these be allowed for use in judo?

I have deformed feet, brachymetatarsia to be exact. I want to start judo but I'm self conscious of them so want to hide them

Would vibrams be ok?

Probably not. While you could explain your situation, there is no medical reason to cover your feet.

Also, most people don't care about your feet. Just go and train.

They'll care but not much. Have you ever seen a Judoka's ears? They look like something out of Akira.

I googled that expecting some crazy looking feet and I'm disappointed. I assure you no one is going to care about that. People may ask you questions because they are curious but just go with if. May I suggest having a different story for each person who asks? Escalator accident, kickball injury, etc?
Own it and don't be ashamed one bit.

You can tape your toes with tape to make it less noticeable but most dudes won't care anyways.

Most vibrams that I have seen have edges that could cut someone. In Judo, you use your feet for foot sweeps etc. The area of the velcro strap is particularly dangerous to your partners.

Get the surgery to correct it if it bothers you that much.

The soles on them would tear the mat up, they're too hard.

Wear wrestling shoes

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

the dont be ashamed and own it comment is the right thing to do, i know it is, but its much easier said than done. Maybe as i get older ill be less ashamed, hopefully anyway

surgery isnt an option for me, it costs $10,000 and you cant put weight on the foot for 6-9 months

I really want to start judo but i really dont want to turn up bare footed so i need something on my feet. Are socks allowed? Ive found some good socks with grip pads on the bottom so it will be like bare feet

http://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/falke_homepads_in_5_colours/index.html

say i got good and wanted to compete would i still be able to wear these ?

Just tape your toes so it's less noticeable.

h9991635_001.jpg

You may be able to get away with wrestling shoes, but that'll probably be it.

I guess you should ask yourself how bad you actually want to do Judo.

This guy didn't let a congenital defect hold him back:
machadojeanjacques-blackbelttechniques.jpg

I have two pairs of Vibrams, and my judo instructor has a pair as well. We both love them, and I'd say that they're the most comfortable shoes that I've ever worn. However, I really don't think that they'd be great on the mats. Most models either have velcro straps that will come undone with contact sometimes, or laces that could entangle a partner's fingers or toes during newaza and such.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I think that socks are a bad choice because of their lack of traction. Mats can be a bit slippery, and if you accidentally slip during a throw you could easily injure yourself or your partner.

I think that either going barefoot despite your condition or wearing either wrestling or sambo shoes would be a better choice. However, probably your best bet would be to talk to your judo instructor (if you have one picked out) and see what he says. If he allows the VFFs or socks, I guess that's between the two of you. I'm relatively sure that tournaments won't let you wear either, though.

Have you seen the toes on long-time judo guys? You'll fit right in

Why not wear sambo shoes? They fit a bit tighter than wrestling shoes and are less bulky.

Appearance may not be the only reason to wear shoes, with that condition maybe someone would need extra protection too.

^Good point. Also: TS, have you ever worn Vibrams before? If you haven't, definitely try a pair on before you order them from the Internet or something of that sort. There is a distinct possibility that the toe pockets may not fit because of your condition.

Im a minamalist guy and I dont like vibram. I love my new balance MT00 trail, and the Soft Star Runamoc pair I have.

How many of your metatarsal are short?

Instead of vibrams, which may stick to the mat/gi when you don't want them to and cause an injury, why not try soft-soled sambo or wrestling shoes? No one can complain about the hard edges and you don't have to worry about getting stuck to the mat or hung-up on someone's gi.

You can get grappling socks. They're made of thin neoprene with a grippier sole. I've got some RDX brand ones because I've got arthritis of the big toe and the socks hold the toes together quite well. I can't think of a good reason why an instructor would forbid the wearing of them.

Probably not. While you could explain your situation, there is no medical reason to cover your feet.

Also, most people don't care about your feet. Just go and train.
I'd imagine people would be more focused on tossing you or choking you out than thinking what the hell is up wih his feet

Is say just use tape... You'll draw far more attention being the only one wearing shoes

Back