Vettori is a passionate Yushin Okami with worse technique

Okami's or Anderson's clinch games were very good not becase I say so but because other fellow top fighters have given them credit for it. Israel is better than Silva in some aspects, definitely not the clinch in MMA.

You can stop with that talk about "swinging wild hooks"...we have actually watched Israel fighting Silva well into his 40s...so you can stop playing that lame fanboy persona
I saw a young fighter respecting his idol. I'm not the only one. I gave you an example of an actual technique an amateur wouldn't use and you rebutted with a fight Anderson lost to Israel, lol.

I saw a young fighter respecting his idol. I'm not the only one. I gave you an example of an actual technique an amateur wouldn't use and you rebutted with a fight Anderson lost to Israel, lol.

So you think Israel was going easy on Silva and you are not the only fanboy in denial who pretends so... Sure.

I dont even get your point regarding techniques an amateur wouldnt use... Okami throws anything but wild hooks btw

I think he's an interesting challenge for Izzy style wise, although unfortunately the fight has a high chance of being a snoozefest.
Definite snoozer on the levels off Yoel vs. Izzy. It would be two guys looking at each other and throwing feints for 25 min

Vettori would get subbed by Jason McDonald. Marvin had no business getting a title shot

I think he is a weak contender but defeated a dangerous sub grappler in Hermansson.
JMac could give him a run for his money but most likely gets beat up

Okami way better grappler. Marvin way better cave man.

I'm not saying you're wrong but we have to see more from marvin thsn we have .... and he has an advantage in , currently, a very thin division.
He matches up pretty well against everyone except Robert. He still needs time to home his technique though, I’m not sure what his ceiling is.

I think it's just because he was very muscled up that everything thought he was huge.

I have no idea how much weight he cut for 185 though to be fair.

He used to be pretty shredded but I dont think he was very muscled up, other than maybe biceps and shoulders. There were plenty of fighters who worked the weight room much more than him.

I'd say his disproportionately big head, height, broad shoulders and the fact he was usually stronger in the clinch than his opponents is what made people believe he was big for the division. Also Rogan screaming about it.

Okami's walk around weight used to be 200lbs according to his training partner Chael Sonnen:
https://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/12/1307393/chael-sonnen-sends-a-shoutout-to

He also weighted in at 203lbs with clothes on for a short-notice fight with OSP at 205.
Definitely not a huge MW.

He used to be pretty shredded but I dont think he was very muscled up, other than maybe biceps and shoulders. There were plenty of fighters who worked the weight room much more than him.

I'd say his disproportionately big head, height, broad shoulders and the fact he was usually stronger in the clinch than his opponents is what made people believe he was big for the division. Also Rogan screaming about it.

Okami's walk around weight used to be 200lbs according to his training partner Chael Sonnen:
https://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/12/1307393/chael-sonnen-sends-a-shoutout-to

He also weighted in at 203lbs with clothes on for a short-notice fight with OSP at 205.
Definitely not a huge MW.

I always thought the "OKAMI IS A MASSIVE MW" thing was a weird meme. He was a good sized MW and tall and lean and strong af but like you said he never missed weight or really seemed to struggle making MW and has made WW numerous times even later in his career. His stomach/chest don't seem very big but his arms and general leanness I think make people think he's much heavier and bigger than he really is. Add to that his strong clinch game and base when he's on top I guess it's easier to just say "HE'S SO BIG!!!" than to come up wiht anything else to say lol.

Both strong southpaws with well-rounded skills but both rather predictable and slow, both gave anybody in the weightclass all they could handle but both got outclassed by the top2

I think Whittaker is significantly better than Franklin tbf.

I think Whittaker is significantly better than Franklin tbf.

Yeah I think so.

Though I was refering to the Chael Sonnen who ragdolled Okami and went to fight for the tittle twice.

Okami vs Franklin was a very close dec, unlike Rob vs Marvin, not outclassing by any means.

Anyways the comparison comes with them within their own era. Generally speaking, fighters improve from the previous gen.
I still think Vettori vs prime Okami is a close dec even if I slighly favour Marvin mostly because of higher output. Franklin vs Vettori a close fight too imo. I think Vettori can keep improving though

Both strong southpaws with well-rounded skills but both rather predictable and slow, both gave anybody in the weightclass all they could handle but both got outclassed by the top2
No.

full

full

GOAT Silva would have head kicked this Italian dream into oblivion

Prime Silva spanks everyone and he power bombs Izzy.

Vitori is younger and cannon is a jobber. Journeyman.

Marvin has a GOAT tier chin though.

.. and speaking of GOAT, no MW yet has come close to the level of prime Silva and I doubt any ever will.

Even past prime after the castrophic injury he fought Izzy better than anyone but alex. Silva was terrifying. Gsp ducked Silva but came back after hendrix was a wash and Silva fell off but made sure he fought Bisping with 1 eye.

0 defenses.

Back