Veterans making a comeback

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Slongkong, May 18, 2014.

1. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

There's quite a few veterans doing nice things on local circuits, and other lower orgs, This is for Vets making a comeback not in Bellator or UFC. Just doing this off my head right now so I don't have much, I'll add them as the comments are coming.

HW: Kalib Starnes: (16-9-1) just gonna list him as a HW cause that's what he last fought at. 4-1 in his last 5, looked decent against herman.

Sergei Kharitonov (21-5) just fought in march, on a 3 fight win streak since his loss to Barnett. Currently fighting in Glory but could certainly be a force if he signs with higher tier mma orgs.

LHW: Paul Buentello: (33-16) 4-1 in his last 5 fights. Lost a close split decision his last time out has looked great at 205.

Jason Brilz: a perfect 4-0 since being cut by the UFC just won a close fight with Raphael Davis which leads me to my next journeyman

Raphael Davis: (13-3) had his 3 fight win streak snapped by Brilz, Bellator veteran. Looking good so far.

MW: Jesse Taylor (27-9) On a 7 fight win streak fighting David Branch (13-3, 3 fight win streak) for WSOF MW title.
    Tomasz Drwal 22-4 on a 4 fight win streak

WW: Brian Foster (22-6) on a 4 fight win streak. Looking to drop down to 155.

Josh Burkman (27-10) 6-1 in his last 7, just scored a violent ko win over tyler Stinson. with solid wins over Harris, fitch, and simpson.

LW: Yoshiyuki Yoshida (17-6) on a 6 fight win streak, with one of those wins over Phil Baroni.
    Andre Winner (19-8) 4 fight win streak, just won a one night tourney. 7-2 since being released by the ufc.

FW: Caol Uno (31-16-5) on a 5 fight win streak has looked good, over the likes of Jesse Brock among other decent fighters.

Koji Oishi (25-9-10) 4-0-1 in his last 5 fights.

BW:

Fly: Jonathan Brookins (14-6) Just returned after a long layoff and got a nice win in his new division. Name to look out for.

That's all I can really think of right now, comment more and I'll add them. Just like to see how the veterans are doing now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    David the crow L.

3. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

He hasn't fought in over a year though. If he wins his next fight i'll add him. He's on a 4 fight win streak though.

4. Messenger

Messenger Orange Belt

Starnes lost all credibility after that jogging routine he pulled on Quarry years ago. I can't remember why Foster never resigned with the UFC, especially considering he won his last two fights.

5. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

6. KNM

KNM Orange Belt

A lot of it is that experience being applied in the right ways. Fighting smarter and/or different camps/weight classes. And a lil of it has to do with the competition, not fighting guys at the very top of a division but not complete gimmie fights.

7. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

added 2 more

8. podsox

podsox Silver Belt

I watched the brilz fight. he won but he should hang it up.

9. king of theRing

king of theRing Black Belt

Oishi is doing awesome right now in one fc.

Ricco Rodriguez actually looked good for first time in ages last couple of fights

James Thompson has looked lil bit less pathetic last couple of fights.

Mcsweeney in one fc

Manhoef at 170

Jz actually doing good things again (thank God)

10. Palaina10

Palaina10 Yellow Belt

Tomasz Drwal is 4-0 since being released by the UFC
    Jeremy Horn picked up his 90th win last month and is on a 3 fight win streak.
    Damian Grabowski is on a 6 fight win streak since losing to Cole Konrad.
    Andre Winner recently won a one night eight man tournament, 4 fight win streak.

11. Bigj383

Bigj383 Gold Belt

12. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

Winner has impressed. Damian is one of the top guys at HW outside the ufc right now, not trying to put real obvious names like that, and Aoki and such ya know

13. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

just added David Loiseau

14. jiujitsuforever

aoki wont fight in the ufc. one fc is paying him and bibiano good money

15. jiujitsuforever

i knew you would warm up to the crow :icon_chee

16. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

had to take the crow off after that fight

17. Mr Boogaloo

Mr Boogaloo Silver Belt

quality list, go andre winner, he almost had to do the entire 9 rounds to win that tourny.

18. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

threads like these show how delusional sherdoggers are.

how can brilz make a comeback? he never was on the top. rodriguez has been done for years. drwal and yoshida were never close to the top.

19. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

There are some good guys and decent fighters on this list. Glad to see them succeeding.

I'm actually quite happy for Starnes. The humiliation led Fred Ettish to leave the sport and only have one fight to even out his record almost 20 years later (also happy for him). Starnes took a bit of time off, then got back on the horse, and has gone a decent way toward clearing his name.

And I've had a soft spot for Buentello ever since Fear the Consequences. Poor guy.

20. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

Haha like seriously are you an idiot. he's on a nice win streak and fighting for the TitanFC Championship. Considering his last few fights in the UFC that's a really good turn around. Doesn't have to be a comeback to the ufc just in general these guys are doing really well for themselves. Don't be stupid bruh.