Very white belt question

AKfan

White Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a pretty n00b question, because I have no grappling experience whatsoever. I'm just curious, the rear naked choke seems like a pretty high percentage technique, it only takes something like 40 pounds of pressure to choke someone out, correct? It seems relatively simple to apply. Whats the best way to defend it? Besides not letting someone take you're back.

2 Hands on their one arm is usually a good start.

They can't sink the choke with one arm so using your energy on 2 on 1 control will help.

Tuck your chin and control an arm, then keep moving to escape. It's hard to finish the choke without first securing the position.

The choke can still be done with no hooks, so defending the neck is the priority. Try to keep both hands inside of their arms, control the top arm and always fight to get your back flat to the mat by shrimping

1. Don't give up your back in the first place.
2. "Answer the phone" to protect your neck.

Good.

Huh?

It's a memory trick so you know what to do, sort of like "paint the fence, wax on wax off"

Picture grabbing a telephone from a desk while you're standing, you immediate bring it up to your ear - your forearm protects the neck.

This all depends on when you notice they're going for it though.

It's a memory trick so you know what to do, sort of like "paint the fence, wax on wax off"

Picture grabbing a telephone from a desk while you're standing, you immediate bring it up to your ear - your forearm protects the neck.

This all depends on when you notice they're going for it though.

Answer the phone is triangle defense, not RNC. I'd love it if people would do that when I get their backs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back