VERY STRONG Kimura Variation From Top by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The kimura is one of the most versatile and common submissions in grappling but sometimes not always the easiest to finish.

What happens a lot is you'll have your opponent in side control or the north south position and start attacking your opponent with a kimura but they are still able to get their arm to safety. Especially of they are stronger than you.

With this kimura variation I show you, you'll have another option to add as a follow up to your initial kimura attempt or even as an individual attack on it's own.

I'm usually not much of a kimura person because of my size, however this kimura variation is one that works for me often. It's also fun to do.

[YT]P3ZOGC8avCs[/YT]

Thanks for watching,
Jason Scully

how strong do you think this would be from a different position, ie guard?

I'm trying to visualize this, as I've also had a lot of problems with the kimura

how strong do you think this would be from a different position, ie guard?

I'm trying to visualize this, as I've also had a lot of problems with the kimura

This is primarily a top position finish because it requires you to move your body to the same side of the arm you are submitting.

I would honestly have to brainstorm and drill it from guard positions but from initial thought I don't see it being as effective as it would be from side control and north south.

Similar to/variation of the catch wrestling keylock. Very good move, and also even if you can't get the torque to finish you can rest there while the other guy is in extreme discomfort.

Jason, what do you think of Gerbil's instruction on this? He calls it The Padlock.

Notice he grabs his own tricep instead of his opponent's elbow.

It's interesting that Jeremy considers this move low percentage.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody get that move in a BJJ, no-gi, or MMA fight. So that leads me to think it's probably low percentage.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody get that move in a BJJ, no-gi, or MMA fight. So that leads me to think it's probably low percentage.

Hey, I never saw someone finish a baseball choke from under mount in competition... until Magid Hage did it to Clark Gracie.

There was an interesting thread after ADCC 2013 asking why anyone would train a move that is a statistical outlier. If the majority of matches at the highest levels are being decided in certain ways, why devote any time to rare methods? Why even teach low percentage moves?

You can see it at 2:40 of this old instructional.

[Yt]JNSCSeG-wGg[/MEDIA]

I actually think it is a much stronger hold than the regular double wrist lock, tighter and better leverage. Its rarity is simply the fact that information outside of the bjj tradition has low dissemination, and the fact that if you have the DWL already, that tends to be 'good enough' in most cases, so there is less pressure to look for a stronger transition to finish.

Jason, what do you think of Gerbil's instruction on this? He calls it The Padlock.

Notice he grabs his own tricep instead of his opponent's elbow.

My personal opinion and not trying to stir and technical pot but I think my variation is much stronger than the variation in Jeremy's video.

Some things about my variation

1. By holding their elbow instead of your own tricep you are getting even more arm control on them which can create more toque.

2. Notice in the video that I talk about placing pressure on your opponent's wrist and down into their hip. This is a very important tip that will 100% make this move much stronger. In my variation there is constant pressure on my opponent's wrist from start to finish.

3. In my video I get a much stronger sit out and me pressure down on the side.

Also for me this kimura has been more effective for me as a submission than the regular kimura as been from the top and I am 145lbs. So this is one of those cases while both variations work, I personally feel more confident in my variation.

Also I want to note that it has nothing to do with it be my instructional video that is in comparison. I just feel the technical tweaks make a bigger different in pressure.

I also use this with lots of success in breaking my opponent's grip off of their belt of they are defending the kimura with the gi on as well.

Hey, I never saw someone finish a baseball choke from under mount in competition... until Magid Hage did it to Clark Gracie.

There was an interesting thread after ADCC 2013 asking why anyone would train a move that is a statistical outlier. If the majority of matches at the highest levels are being decided in certain ways, why devote any time to rare methods? Why even teach low percentage moves?

The common problem is that 'surface level' statistics like that can lead to a confusion of the situational with the unreliable.

My personal opinion and not trying to stir and technical pot but I think my variation is much stronger than the variation in Jeremy's video.

Some things about my variation

1. By holding their elbow instead of your own tricep you are getting even more arm control on them which can create more toque.

2. Notice in the video that I talk about placing pressure on your opponent's wrist and down into their hip. This is a very important tip that will 100% make this move much stronger. In my variation there is constant pressure on my opponent's wrist from start to finish.

3. In my video I get a much stronger sit out and me pressure down on the side.

Also for me this kimura has been more effective for me as a submission than the regular kimura as been from the top and I am 145lbs. So this is one of those cases while both variations work, I personally feel more confident in my variation.

Also I want to note that it has nothing to do with it be my instructional video that is in comparison. I just feel the technical tweaks make a bigger different in pressure.

I also use this with lots of success in breaking my opponent's grip off of their belt of they are defending the kimura with the gi on as well.

Very interesting. Something to chew on. Thanks for the instant feedback, Jason.

I'm a big fan of gjj's vids and have used a lot of his stuff. However, I have to disagree with the motion he uses to finish the kimura in the video linked above. I use the N/S version quite a bit and have much more success by rotating the opponent's hand/wrist away from his back instead of further up his back. The shoulder has a certain amount of flexibility in the direction shown by gjj. I think jaysculls gets the pressure moving the right way and maybe that's why he has more success. I will have to play with this move a little bit though and see if I can get it to work for me.

Everything old is new again. I learned this move from Jacare Cavalcante in Atlanta 11 or 12 years ago and it is very effective. I used to use it from sidemount as my go to for a blocked Kimura.

The kimura is one of the most versatile and common submissions in grappling but sometimes not always the easiest to finish.

What happens a lot is you'll have your opponent in side control or the north south position and start attacking your opponent with a kimura but they are still able to get their arm to safety. Especially of they are stronger than you.

With this kimura variation I show you, you'll have another option to add as a follow up to your initial kimura attempt or even as an individual attack on it's own.

I'm usually not much of a kimura person because of my size, however this kimura variation is one that works for me often. It's also fun to do.

[YT]P3ZOGC8avCs[/YT]

Thanks for watching,
Jason Scully

Niiiiiice! I was taught to do the Kimura this way originally, by Gabriel "The Nightmare" Gonzalez, iirc. Him and you really influenced my jitz game.

Thank you, concise while in depth as always, Mr. Scully!

Have you done a vid, on The Vaporizer by Eddie Bravo? I'd like to see your take on his entry, and any variations you have/could come up with. I'd like a No-Gi Asylum Choke &/or variation vid when you can as well.

Modeling yourself after the status quo is a sure path to mediocrity.

I bet someone told Palhares at some point in his BJJ/MMA career that heel hooks were low percentage.

You have to play your own game.

Back