Very interesting news on the state of Viacom

So Dana buys another successful company from Coker, and then Coker goes and does it again, and Dana buys it again?

Successful is a bit of a stretch but yeah pretty much.

I really don't blame Coker though. He kinda inherited a sinking ship and put asses in seats with Shamrock vs Hong Man Choi or whatever they're doing these days.

Is Bellator really as successful as strikeforce in terms of competition?
I don't know.. Strikeforce had several proven fighters in their HW division. When you count Bellator's proven fighters across all weight classes, they have about the same.

Where Strikeforce really surprised was how good its prospects ended up faring in the UFC. Who knows how Bellator's unproven fighters would fare in the UFC until we see it?

We might see obscure Bellator HWs and smaller guys winning titles like we did from Strikeforce.

Luke Thomas seems to think Fight Pass.

Not everyone is able to hook up their laptop or PC to the TV and having 10 people sitting around watching it on either one of those wouldn't be a great way to watch a card.

It'd be a good way of the UFC getting extra subscribers for it.

The internet is destroying the need for media giants. I even dropped Netflix and Hulu as I found a site that has almost every movie ever made as well as TV series (old and new) in either 380p, 720p, and 1080p. I simply get cast it. Fuck these companies. They've screwed us over for too long.
Which site is that bro?

The way some of you seem so DESPERATE for everything MMA to be owned by Zuffa, is PATHETIC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Viacom reaches out to the Fertitas - especially if their stock keeps taking a shit.

Hmm. Hypothetical question; if none of the US sports stations air the UFC and Bellator is obviously shown on Spike TV, which station would be likely to pick up the UFC when they're not doing PPVs?
I would think the competition right now would be between Fox and ESPN. No reason to believe that the UFC won't be picked up.

After that, the next likely channel IMO is CBS....as the Sumner Redstone that has controlling shares in Viacom, also has controlling shares in CBS....and CBS has ventured into the MMA game in the past.

Besides that, I would get HD Net / AXIS.....but I doubt they have the funds.

Spike may also get into the mix......what would help promote bellator better than the UFC. People would probably watch and not know the difference.

This whole discussion is just stupid. Viacom stock prices are in NO WAY related to Bellator and their freak show fights. In case everyone here is too young to understand, the entire stock market has been tanking for a while. It’s just the way it goes. Bellator is a VERY small part of Viacom and it’s doubtful it even has much effect on their bottom line, and zero impact on stock prices.

I would think the competition right now would be between Fox and ESPN. No reason to believe that the UFC won't be picked up.

After that, the next likely channel IMO is CBS....as the Sumner Redstone that has controlling shares in Viacom, also has controlling shares in CBS....and CBS has ventured into the MMA game in the past.

Besides that, I would get HD Net / AXIS.....but I doubt they have the funds.

Spike may also get into the mix......what would help promote bellator better than the UFC. People would probably watch and not know the difference.

Isn't there some talk that FOX might not pick up the option to further the deal* - or I could be horribly wrong here, and say that the UFC aren't taking the option of re-signing for an extra year. The UFC might do their own version of testing the (TV) market.

* No idea how TV deals work in the States, but would've thought if the UFC being a part of FOX is a success, they'd want to do a new deal.

Team 2

First team to have a fighter unconscious is outnumbered and loses. Igor and Rumble hit too hard for team 1 to stand a chance imo.

Isn't there some talk that FOX might not pick up the option to further the deal* - or I could be horribly wrong here, and say that the UFC aren't taking the option of re-signing for an extra year. The UFC might do their own version of testing the (TV) market.

* No idea how TV deals work in the States, but would've thought if the UFC being a part of FOX is a success, they'd want to do a new deal.

To the first part....not really. People just misunderstood a quote from Dana where he said that if someone wanted to pony up the cash, then the PPV's could be on regular TV.

To the 2nd part....they just put the hendricks/thompson card on FS1 on less than 2 weeks notice....to me that says that Fox is happy with the UFC programming. I have never heard anything to the contrary, except from sherdoggers who are suddenly experts in ratings analysis.

i honestly doubt bellator is a large enough part of viacom to really make much of a difference on its bottom line.

The internet is destroying the need for media giants. I even dropped Netflix and Hulu as I found a site that has almost every movie ever made as well as TV series (old and new) in either 380p, 720p, and 1080p. I simply get cast it. Fuck these companies. They've screwed us over for too long.

That's very true and what I was thinking, the internet is destroying these companies, it's gonna continue to do so, we haven't fully entered the new age. These media companies will be a thing in the past like movie rental shops like blockbuster and hollywood video.

can you pm me the name of this website? Because I got both netflix and hulu, and I feel like a sucker paying for it.

Bellator isn't a blip in the Viacom radar.
They are inexpensive part time programming for one of their stations.

A bigger issue for Bellator is the fact Spike TV has been downgraded by Comcast to a tier that you need to pay more $$$ for and they also been cut completely off a few smaller cable companies.

Less $$$ for Viacom = less for Bellator!

Guys I'm watching Luke Thomas live chat right now
comment_Z4KmD2wA8sHfQYuOeEYBzL55vINeGy3o.gif

You know what this means?

Art Jimmerson vs. Zulu for Bellator HW champion 2016!

This whole discussion is just stupid. Viacom stock prices are in NO WAY related to Bellator and their freak show fights. In case everyone here is too young to understand, the entire stock market has been tanking for a while. It’s just the way it goes. Bellator is a VERY small part of Viacom and it’s doubtful it even has much effect on their bottom line, and zero impact on stock prices.
Cjr is just a tumbleweed, he'll disappear after the murder of his hero.

Business as usual, wonder if a sale is in their future? Viacom is huge though, they have their hands in movies,property,human slavery etc. I wonder what caused the drop?
Their running out of hot skanks in real world shows....

Back