Elections Very frustrated Andrew Yang calls out DeBlasio on schools not reopening

I think Yang and Tulsi should be running the Democrat show, they have the most backbone and IQ on the left.

There's a funny dynamic with that kind of thing. You have subgroups A and B within a broad ideological grouping or party, and then when A criticizes B, that's proof that A is a bold truthteller willing to speak out against his party/coalition mates, but when B criticizes A, that's proof that B is a hack.

A good observation.

That said, I think Yang is right here (didn't watch the whole vid, but his position that schools should be reopened is correct). And I say that as someone who generally does not think highly of the guy.

My criticism of Yang here had zero to do with the reopening of public schools in NYC. I also agree with him on that position.

If the teachers all have had a chance at being vaccinated and the kids have no threat to them... WHY THE FUCK AREN'T THEY OPENING?

This is ridiculous. The Left loves to exercise power and control over people. These kids are being hurt in significant ways with this bullshit.

Two reasons:

1. Both sides have turned COVID policy into a partisan culture war issue. Republicans have taken the side of no restrictions and Dems have taken the side nonsensical over-restriction.
  2. Democrats are largely in the pockets of teachers unions whose members like having the schools closed. This will be hard for most rank and file democrats to accept but public school teachers, a class they’ve simped for for years, aren’t the exceptional beings they make them out to be. They’re normal, flawed humans who will use whatever they can to their advantage.

In Ontario I think they are playing teacher's unions, which lobbied hard to shut down, which is where we are at currently. For the fall/winter 2021/22 school year, the gov't is now pushing for optional online schooling across the board for parents. This will mean less teachers needed, which unions are taking notice of.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks to me like the gov't is going to use this to save $$

Last day of school for k thru 7 today here in most of Alberta. Marxist Jason Kenny at it again. Fuck that guy and his leftist ideology. I'm really glad brave Albertans are fighting back with freedom rodeos and death threats to his mother.

Theres only 1 reason why he's complaining about schools being closed

Why does everyone hate Yang again? I never followed the guy but he never came off as awful as everyone in this thread seems to think of him.

Countries all over the world have reopened schools safely for many months now. DeBlasio isn't following the science.
We knew a year ago that children and schools weren’t high risk spreaders of COVID and our ultra slow and conservative bureaucracies admitted that months ago now.

But we also know that De Blasio is utterly captive to the teachers unions.

It is repugnant that the unions and politicians play around with the education of children, particularly in NYC in which the vast majority of students are economically disadvantaged POCs, but hey - he has a black wife! Super woke!

I think Yang and Tulsi should be running the Democrat show, they have the most backbone and IQ on the left.
Yeah wondering if he is still giving free money to people as he would want every rich guy to do also

Yeah, any candidate being managed by Tusk Strategies must be a real tell-it-like-it is outsider anti-politician. <45>

If there was any lingering doubt in anyone's mind during the democratic primaries Yang's run for Mayor of NYC has proven him to be a corporate whore and complete fraud.

My ability to criticize Yang is evidence I am not a partisan. I am an economic progressive and am glad to speak against any politician, be they an R a D or an I, who supports regressive or opposes progressive economic legislation. Sorry this is rustling for you.

This is a well-written piece that hits all the need-to-know bits about Tusk's relationship with the Yang campaign.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/arti...mayoral-campaign-being-run-lobbying-firm.html
None of this has anything to do with the topic of the OP: the appropriate timing of reopening schools in NY.

Offer a take on the topic or take a hike.

Honest question, why is opening schools a right wing position? Neither me nor my fiancé are right wing, and we were happy when schools reopened here.

Yeah, most of my friends are pretty far left and all stoked about re-opening schools. My one teacher friend who voted for Trump is pissed that schools are opening. I see either negative to zero anecdotal correlation in my crappy sample.

Teacher unions that still favor closure at this point are clearly just taking advantage, I'm sorry but it is what it is.

Why does everyone hate Yang again? I never followed the guy but he never came off as awful as everyone in this thread seems to think of him.
People like him, hes the favorite to win the mayoral race

However he's a grifter. He doesnt have a backbone of a political stance. He just follows whatever is popular

People like him, hes the favorite to win the mayoral race

However he's a grifter. He doesnt have a backbone of a political stance. He just follows whatever is popular

I agree with Queen B. Never thought I would say that.

Given that Yang is a bona fide political moron, it was only a matter of time before he began adopting explicit right wing positions.

Either way, the NYC mayoral race is looking grim as hell. Stringer is the only decent candidate of the top three, and he may well be sunk by the abuse allegations (although they do seem to be bullshit, per The Intercept).

How is opening up schools an explicitly right wing position?

Also lol at Stringer. Guy was an establishment shill before he decided to run for mayor.

How is opening up schools an explicitly right wing position?

Because it's irresponsible, reactionary, and based on a ton of conspiracies about corrupt scientists, power-hungry politicians, and cooked COVID stats. Across the globe, it's selfish, tiny-brained right wingers making big stinks about lockdowns infringing on their convenience.

Because it's irresponsible, reactionary, and based on a ton of conspiracies about corrupt scientists, power-hungry politicians, and cooked COVID stats. Across the globe, it's selfish, tiny-brained right wingers making big stinks about lockdowns infringing on their convenience.

Ummm....no.

If America, Canada, Australia, and Europe are the whole world then maybe that would be true. But there are other countries - many - not just Sweden, that let kids gather together in public throughout this whole thing.

Ummm....no.

If America, Canada, Australia, and Europe are the whole world then maybe that would be true. But there are other countries - many - not just Sweden, that let kids gather together in public throughout this whole thing.

Yes, the same is true there, just as it is in India, Brazil, and basically everywhere.

But private schools are operating without any spikes in covid. Kids kept out of school for this long is irresponsible.

Last edited:
Didn't know schools were still closed anywhere in the US tbf. We've had them open in the UK for a few months now and it doesn't seem to be causing any issues.
UK has reached a good level of vaccinations. The vaccine works. The US has reached a good level also, so schools should be able to be open at this point, unless for some reason nee york is behind in vaccinations, which I don’t think they are.

Back