@plutonium
Reaction score
Anderson x2
Lyoto Machida
Vitor Belfort

Wow

what a run

Who matches this? Werdum maybe?
Surprised he doesn't get more respect as the MW GOAT. Werdum lost a lot at HW too, but he still gets play because of his peaks

No one was ever winning as many fights untill they lost as the Chris. Undisputed GOAT in this field.

First troll read of the day. My day can only get better.

How about Israel? Dude beat Prime Anderson, Prime Kevin & Prime Bob = BEAST

NOW HE'S THE BEST EVA

Phil-Beach.JPG

Weidman got KOd 4 times in 5 fights as soon as he stopped fighting past their prime Brazilians

Jon Jones trumps everyone.
No one on that list is as good as Anderson Silva though.
That's true, but in fairness. Jon didn't have an Anderson Silva in his division. And if Anderson decided to move up to fight him, it would have been a one sided beat down with Jones winning imo..

Anderson x2
Lyoto Machida
Vitor Belfort

Wow

what a run

Surprised he doesn't get more respect as the MW GOAT. Werdum lost a lot at HW too, but he still gets play because of his peaks
The thing that spanks his legacy is that

1. Mysterious decline as soon as usada is implemented.

2. Anderson, his biggest accomplishment, has never performed like he once did since the losses. You can say Weidman “stole his soul” but it’s also possible to argue Anderson was already on a decline after some long wars prior to the Weidman fight. Either way, it’s tough to argue Anderson was in his prime.

That's true, but in fairness. Jon didn't have an Anderson Silva in his division. And if Anderson decided to move up to fight him, it would have been a one sided beat down with Jones winning imo..
Maybe, but people can only fight who they fight
Jon Jones has the best resume in MMA, there's no denying that
Just saying that very few people have a better peak to their careers as Chris Weidman - Jon Jones is 100% one of them

No, but jones had DC. And DC was arguably just as dominant in his own fashion.

The thing that spanks his legacy is that

1. Mysterious decline as soon as usada is implemented.

2. Anderson, his biggest accomplishment, has never performed like he once did since the losses. You can say Weidman “stole his soul” but it’s also possible to argue Anderson was already on a decline after some long wars prior to the Weidman fight. Either way, it’s tough to argue Anderson was in his prime.
I don't believe Anderson was in his prime
But Primes are tough - I mean Anderson still looked like superman right before that fight, but that's of course because we judged him relative to who he was fighting rather than relative to how he looked at a younger age. So its tough, when does a prime really end? I mean physically guys get worse as they age, but some guys also better technique wise and fight in smarter ways
Hard to say, I don't think you can discredit Weidman over something he can't control

I don't believe Anderson was in his prime
But Primes are tough - I mean Anderson still looked like superman right before that fight, but that's of course because we judged him relative to who he was fighting rather than relative to how he looked at a younger age. So its tough, when does a prime really end? I mean physically guys get worse as they age, but some guys also better technique wise and fight in smarter ways
Hard to say, I don't think you can discredit Weidman over something he can't control
you’re absolutely right, and I don’t intend to smear his legacy, but that’s why longevity and consistency are important. Because it becomes tough to poke holes in someone’s story when they win over, and over and over.
Chris has a few good wins but it was such a spark, and small event in the history of the division in the grand scheme of things.

the thing I’ll say is that his losses, with the exception of being KOd by Souza, came from some of the beat MW’s we’ve ever seen. I mean, the dude fought moussasi, Silva, rockhold, romero, Gastelum. This mans never taken an easy fight in his life. If he had pulled off just 1 or 2 of the fights he lost, I would rank him a lot higher historically.

you’re absolutely right, and I don’t intend to smear his legacy, but that’s why longevity and consistency are important. Because it becomes tough to poke holes in someone’s story when they win over, and over and over.
Chris has a few good wins but it was such a spark, and small event in the history of the division in the grand scheme of things.

the thing I’ll say is that his losses, with the exception of being KOd by Souza, came from some of the beat MW’s we’ve ever seen. I mean, the dude fought moussasi, Silva, rockhold, romero, Gastelum. This mans never taken an easy fight in his life. If he had pulled off just 1 or 2 of the fights he lost, I would rank him a lot higher historically.

When its all said and done I think he'll drop really far in MW rankings
but his strength of schedule at MW has been absolutely absurd, I mean there's not a rebuild fight in there since he fought Maia

But he's carved out a place in history by beating Silva twice. I mean even if Silva was on the downswing, that's huge - and he stopped him the first time around. Anderson's not even glass jawed today at 43.

2 big wins and then some ok ones. You didn't even mention Weidmans win over Kelvin which is more impressive than old Machida and Belfort.

Just off the top of my head, most of Anderson's other losses debatably have better resumes.

Cormier - Stipe, Anderson, Gustafsson, Henderson, Rumble x2

Bisping: - Anderson, Henderson, Rockhold

Israel - Whitaker, Anderson, Gastelum

All better than an over the hill Machida, TRTless Belfort and a freak Anderson injury in the second one.

Some fighters have other fighters numbers, doesn't make them a better fighter necessarily i.e. Hallman/Hughes.

Anderson x2
Lyoto Machida
Vitor Belfort

Wow

what a run

His run pre-USADA was excellent. It's a different sport now. SInce USADA he has some of the most memorable KO's (receiving them) in the sport. Rockhold and Vick are up there. At least he's still in the sport. Doesn't Big Rig own a barbecue restaurant now?

Back