Verizon says it shouldn’t have throttled California firefighters during wildfire emergency

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Verizon said it made a mistake by not removing data restrictions on a California fire department’s wireless service after firefighters went over their data cap as they struggled to contain the state’s largest wildfire in history.

In a sworn statement filed this week as part of a legal effort to restore net neutrality rules, Santa Clara County Fire Chief Anthony Bowden said Verizon throttled the connection to one of its emergency response vehicles, which “severely interfered” with its ability to function effectively.

Bowden said the vehicle’s data speed was drastically reduced as the department grappled with the Mendocino Complex Fire, which has burned more than 350,000 acres. Even though the department alerted Verizon of the emergency, he said the company did not immediately restore its high-speed wireless service because of the limitations of the department’s data plan.

“Verizon representatives confirmed the throttling, but, rather than restoring us to an essential data transfer speed, they indicated that County Fire would have to switch to a new data plan at more than twice the cost, and they would only remove throttling after we contacted the Department that handles billing and switched to the new data plan.”

Verizon told The Washington Post in a statement Wednesday that it made a customer support mistake with the fire department and should have lifted the data speed restrictions during the emergency:

“This situation has nothing to do with net neutrality or the current proceeding in court.

“We made a mistake in how we communicated with our customer about the terms of its plan. Like all customers, fire departments choose service plans that are best for them. This customer purchased a government contract plan for a high-speed wireless data allotment at a set monthly cost. Under this plan, users get an unlimited amount of data but speeds are reduced when they exceed their allotment until the next billing cycle.

“Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations. We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

Ars Technica previously reported on the allegations against Verizon by the Santa Clara Fire Department.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ng-wildfire-emergency/?utm_term=.b61248354c1d

They shouldn't have done that, it was the wrong thing to do.

Sounds like it got taken care of

Verizon, you’re a Billion dollar company and you pull this shit with a first responder?!

I've been so much happier with TMobile instead of Verizon.

T-Mobile wants to compete for your business. Verizon greatly leveraged their coverage advantage then became complacent at the top. With T-Mobile, I have great service and data at a competitive price point. I'm not in a large city yet satisfied.

Verizon's response is fine. Clearly a misunderstanding.

I hate Verizon, but out of all my friends with cheaper sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, I still end up the only one (or last one to lose it) with service at many of the bumbfuck nowhere places I go hunting/fishing/backpacking so I'm stuck with the Verizon twats

Seems a customer support person needs to be smacked on the head. Verizon had a policy of unthrottling in emergency's. Some dick wad stayed by the strict rules instead of "I'll get a manager that can get around some of my desk jockey limitations"

Verizon said it made a mistake by not removing data restrictions on a California fire department’s wireless service after firefighters went over their data cap as they struggled to contain the state’s largest wildfire in history.

In a sworn statement filed this week as part of a legal effort to restore net neutrality rules, Santa Clara County Fire Chief Anthony Bowden said Verizon throttled the connection to one of its emergency response vehicles, which “severely interfered” with its ability to function effectively.

Bowden said the vehicle’s data speed was drastically reduced as the department grappled with the Mendocino Complex Fire, which has burned more than 350,000 acres. Even though the department alerted Verizon of the emergency, he said the company did not immediately restore its high-speed wireless service because of the limitations of the department’s data plan.

“Verizon representatives confirmed the throttling, but, rather than restoring us to an essential data transfer speed, they indicated that County Fire would have to switch to a new data plan at more than twice the cost, and they would only remove throttling after we contacted the Department that handles billing and switched to the new data plan.”

Verizon told The Washington Post in a statement Wednesday that it made a customer support mistake with the fire department and should have lifted the data speed restrictions during the emergency:

“This situation has nothing to do with net neutrality or the current proceeding in court.

“We made a mistake in how we communicated with our customer about the terms of its plan. Like all customers, fire departments choose service plans that are best for them. This customer purchased a government contract plan for a high-speed wireless data allotment at a set monthly cost. Under this plan, users get an unlimited amount of data but speeds are reduced when they exceed their allotment until the next billing cycle.

“Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations. We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

Ars Technica previously reported on the allegations against Verizon by the Santa Clara Fire Department.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ng-wildfire-emergency/?utm_term=.b61248354c1d

If they want unlimited high speed data all the time they should buy unlimited high speed data all the time.

Last edited:
This is like an SNL skit. I'm trying to picture the face of the firefighter during that customer support call.

Last edited:
Every person involved needs to be forced to run ass hole naked thru sticker bushes....

Backwards.

I hate Verizon, but out of all my friends with cheaper sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, I still end up the only one (or last one to lose it) with service at many of the bumbfuck nowhere places I go hunting/fishing/backpacking so I'm stuck with the Verizon twats

Seems a customer support person needs to be smacked on the head. Verizon had a policy of unthrottling in emergency's. Some dick wad stayed by the strict rules instead of "I'll get a manager that can get around some of my desk jockey limitations"

I have Cricket. 5 lines for 100 bucks and AT&T's network. Verizon doesn't work at my house and they are cunts.

That's quickly changing with the bandwidth that T-Mobile bought during the government auction a few years ago.

I don’t get Verizon in my area, and I don’t see how it could be worse than AT&T; that crap is basically useless.

The e-mail exchange in the affidavit is chilling.

The fire dept was initially paying $38/month for "unlimited". When they got throttled, they asked for an explanation, and were told if they wanted no throttling, they needed a $40 package.

A week later they get throttled again. They ask for an explanation, and are told there is no throttling up to 25GB, but after that, it gets throttled on their new package.

Fire department asks how to get a package with no throttling. They are initially told Verizon offers no such packages. The final e-mail from Silas says he can offer an unlimited package of $100 for the first 20GB, and $8 per GB thereafter. ie: $140 per month for 25GB no throttle, versus the previous $40 per month for 25GB no throttle.

That is criminal extortion.

Every person involved needs to be forced to run ass hole naked thru sticker bushes....

Backwards.

Running backwards naked through sticker bushes would be way better than running frontwards. Backwards they scrape your butt. Frontwards they snag on your ball bag and scrape of your dong.

The e-mail exchange in the affidavit is chilling.

The fire dept was initially paying $38/month for "unlimited". When they got throttled, they asked for an explanation, and were told if they wanted no throttling, they needed a $40 package.

A week later they get throttled again. They ask for an explanation, and are told there is no throttling up to 25GB, but after that, it gets throttled on their new package.

Fire department asks how to get a package with no throttling. They are initially told Verizon offers no such packages. The final e-mail from Silas says he can offer an unlimited package of $100 for the first 20GB, and $8 per GB thereafter. ie: $140 per month for 25GB no throttle, versus the previous $40 per month for 25GB no throttle.

That is criminal extortion.

I don't think they know what "unlimited" really is. lmao. It reminds me of the Seinfeld scene...

Tmobile can get a bunch of PR here if they offer their services to fire department. It would be stupid for them not too.
I went back to Tmobile after my deployment years ago.

Verizon was such a pain in my ass when I was deployed. And now Tmobile offers a military plan where I save like 30 bucks a month compared to Verizon.

Back