Vendetta: State Of Colorado Goes After Cake Maker Jack Phillips Again

Why should he capitulate and compromise on his believes to suit their and your own beliefs or feelings on the matter? Also, that would certainly set a bad precedent regarding his first court case and his stated reason for refusal that ultimately led to his victory in that case.

ok then go broke fighting for nothing. or who knows.. he's getting rich from random donations to keep him afloat.

How does Christian belief bear on transgender issues?

It seems to me there are some here pursuing a precedent where "religious belief" becomes a catch-all to avoid established civil law when an individual doesn't care for it. What's next? Serving a black couple violates someone's "religious beliefs"? I'm sure some asshole will try to found a religion that forwards that theology.

This is extremely dicey.
Gay activists love comparing their situation to black Americans.

omg just make the cake you fuckin' twit.

it's not like he's being asked to draw a giant dick on the cake. pink on the inside and blue on the outside. he can pretend its a cake for smurfette.

People should be allowed to decline service such as this on any ground. Their business their rules, and if the public find the operation of the business reprehensible then they can boycott it.

I think the dick cake is a good analogy. Where do you draw the line at what you can be compelled to make and what you can’t? I look at it as freedom of speech; you shouldn’t differentiate as it is different for everyone.

PS I voted for gay marriage in my countries recent plebiscite. I also believe a church should have no compulsion to marry a homosexual couple.

ok then go broke fighting for nothing. or who knows.. he's getting rich from random donations to keep him afloat.
If you hold a faith or belief so lightly that you would compromise it just to save yourself hassle or potential ruin why bother having the faith at all. The same could be said of anyone that might find themselves in a similar situation for any number of reasons.

Right? Can you believe those uppity blacks just sat in at restaurants that wouldn't serve them?

Who has time for fighting for their civil rights?

What a bunch of idiots.
And just like those Americans who fought for their civil rights this baker is fighting for his religious ones.

No, he's the racist store owner, not the civil rights fighter.
Nope, he's not denying them service based on race nor denying them the right to buy a cake at his store. He's denying them the right to demand he bake them a cake representative of something his religious beliefs tell him is a sin and that he doesn't agree with. His right to do so is just as valid as the rights African American's demanded for themselves back then.

They probably would have been fine if they hadn't apparently stated it was requested for. Also, by asking for a specific style of cake for a specified reason counter to his religious believes we end up back at square one like the 1st cake.
Yes, the square we are back at is a violation of Colorado law. But my point was that this is a stronger challenge to the baker's assertion, from what I can tell. This is simply a matter of a little bit of food coloring to a birthday theme, and it's more of a "whatever" kind of everyday item than a wedding cake, requiring less in the way of personal care and customization, or artistry. It's also slightly harder to invent a convenient "sincere" religious fiction here since the bible is silent on this. It comes off as exactly what it is- there's nothing at all wrong with creating the cake, it's pure discrimination based on the sexual orientation (which includes transgender status) of the customers. That's unambiguously illegal there. As long as the commission minds their manners and enforces the law without discrimination, the Supreme Court won't touch it.

Nope, he's not denying them service based on race nor denying them the right to buy a cake at his store. He's denying them the right to demand he bake them a cake representative of something his religious beliefs tell him is a sin and that he doesn't agree with. His right to do so is just as valid as the rights African American's demanded for themselves back then.
He's denying them based on their sexual orientation, and/or gender identity. History will not be kind to the final throes of bigotry in my country.

Yes, the square we are back at is a violation of Colorado law. But my point was that this is a stronger challenge to the baker's assertion, from what I can tell. This is simply a matter of a little bit of food coloring to a birthday theme, and it's more of a "whatever" kind of everyday item than a wedding cake, requiring less in the way of personal care and customization, or artistry. It's also slightly harder to invent a convenient "sincere" religious fiction here since the bible is silent on this. It comes off as exactly what it is- there's nothing at all wrong with creating the cake, it's pure discrimination based on the sexual orientation (which includes transgender status) of the customers. That's unambiguously illegal there. As long as the commission minds their manners and enforces the law without discrimination, the Supreme Court won't touch it.
*allegedly won't touch it.

*allegedly won't touch it.
I mean if things are so bad that after the previous ruling, the SC Republican activists decide to pick this one up, we're fucking doomed and a gay cake or two won't make a difference. lulz.

Imagine being such a sad piece of shit you keep trying to fuck over this individual business owner.

This is pure harassment. You can be a transgender woman who makes love to a microwave oven and you'll be praised. But don't you dare believe in Jesus. Days of Noah.

I pity you if you don't understand that the ACLU would go after an atheist cake maker who refused to bake a cake for a Christian christening or similar event. What planet do you bible thumpers live on anyway?

If Jill and Peter have taught me one thing..

We need to start a GoFundMe account for this guy.

That may very well be how it's interpreted but that's not how I personally see the issue. I see it no different than the 1st issue regardless of the degree of required customization. I still hold that they would have been perfectly fine and likely gotten their cake if they hadn't stated what it was for or represented. Now, if he refused to sell them an already produced generic cake that was to be used for such a purpose then I would completely side with them. However, this in fact a custom order and given the colors chosen, not one he would likely normally make as I doubt there is much general call for such unless you stated it was to celebrate the birth of twins one male one female. That's not the case here and once again touches on his religious beliefs as he holds them. If nothing else, at least he's being consistent on his stance in that regard.

You see nothing wrong with creating the cake. You wouldn't though because you see nothing wrong with either gay marriage or trans issues. He apparently does based upon his religious beliefs. I would expect refusal as well if I went to an Islamic baker and asked for a bacon and chocolate cake. Well, I would expect it if they held their own religious beliefs as strongly as he apparently holds his own.

He's denying them based on their sexual orientation, and/or gender identity. History will not be kind to the final throes of bigotry in my country.
yawn-gif-1.gif

I pity you if you don't understand that the ACLU would go after an atheist cake maker who refused to bake a cake for a Christian christening or similar event. What planet do you bible thumpers live on anyway?

So far I know only of openly Christian bakeries being harassed. Repeatedly. I'm sure there's million others who would make any cake these people wanted. But they don't want the cake.

Back