Velasquez Headbutting & JDS Holding the Cage

StoicSD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Herb Dean is probably the best ref out there along with Big John, but I feel he should have penalized both JDS and Cain.

First of all every time Cain tried to take Junior down, JDS would hold on for dear life to the cage, Herb repeatedly told him to stop holding the cage and it effectively stopped Cain from being able to take him down a couple of times.

Also I don't think he warned Cain once to be careful with the headbutts, which were dished out almost every time they clinched, a lot of those headbutts were pretty strong too.

I want Cain to win again but I think both of these things significantly affected the fight, what say you?

Im curious how much Junior's case of Rhabdo played into the fight. I read a bit about the affects and it seems to be pretty debilitating.

He should have those issues cleared up considering his extensive work with doctors during this camp.

It will be interesting to see if he is able to maintain a higher level of cardio throughout the fight if he is not "over trained".

never heard much complaining about the headbutts. Guys fight for head position all the time against the cage. Dont be stuck against the cage.

JDS should have been penalized for sure but i guess it was such a beating they had mercy on him.

Never really noticed JDS holding the cage too much, not on a noticeable level anyhow

I'm a bit more tolerant of cage grabs. It's just instinct that you are going to grab something when you fall. You should definitely be warned and if it's blatant grab to keep from being taken down like the Aldo/Mendes fight, then you dock them.

I do remember Cain using his head a lot. It was weird to see.

never heard much complaining about the headbutts. Guys fight for head position all the time against the cage. Dont be stuck against the cage.

JDS should have been penalized for sure but i guess it was such a beating they had mercy on him.

Never really noticed JDS holding the cage too much, not on a noticeable level anyhow

That's my point, I didn't notice it either the first time, if you happen to watch it again now that it's on your radar you will be impressed it was about 4-5 combined (headbutts+cagegrabs) violations per round.

he did all throughout their 2nd bout. it was discussed a lot at the time, but most were willing to shrug their shoulders since he was getting the living shit beat outta him.

i didn't notice the head butts though. guess i'll have to watch it again and look for em.

I saw JDS holding the cage in their 2nd fight. It bothered me a lot.

It goes unpunished after so many warnings. It is fucking ridiculous. "Do it again, -1 point."

How hard is that? I know it is a natural instinct to grab when you fall but... people will exploit it until something is done.

Don't forget about that illegal kick JDS landed on the ground

Cain was going for an armbar, punching JDS's body with his free hand and JDS landed an illegal kick, plus he was holding the cage the whole time.

it should have been 50-42 decision for Cain not 50-43...

:icon_twis

Im wondering if JDS will end up like Brock with career ending medical conditions, (not long after fighting Mir)

The grabbing the cage thing is a tough issue for me when looking at fights.

On the one hand, the rule is black and white but I see two diff cases.

One - (Tito vs Rashad example) a fighter is in on a shot against the cage, the defending fighter is battling for position and uses the cage for leverage. Clearly against the rules and should be a point deduction.

Two - (JDS v Cain) a fighter is back peddling and trying to avoid the shot while the offensive fighter manages to hit a low single or sweep a back peddling fighters ankles from under him. It doesn't matter who you are, a natural reaction is going to be to put your arms back as your falling to brace for impact. If you're falling into the cage it only makes sense that the defending fighter will make some attempt at the cage as he is falling. Doesn't make it right per se but it is more excusable than a blatant grab.

Headbutts are intentional strikes using the head. In wrestling, heads collide almost every time you enter the collar tie. Its called head fighting, its a way to gain leverage and control your opponent.

I rewatched the first part of the fight a couple of days ago and it was pretty bad. He grabbed the cage like 3 or 4 times in the first 2 rounds.

Headbutts can happen inadvertently but few things rustle me more than grabbing the cage. If it prevents a legit takedown then a point should be taken every time it happens and that's the bottom line. Maybe then fighters would think twice about doing it because as it is now, fighters don't even hesitate to grab the cage if they can.

gifs or
funny-gif-Donald-Duck-Daisy-coin-begging.gif

gtfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZgyYhSGSpU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvgfXK4nTYKudb0rFR6noLA

[YT]pZgyYhSGSpU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvgfXK4nTYKudb0rFR6noLA[/YT]

just watch the first 2 damn rounds

like i said before, it was discussed quite a bit. but most (reasonable? non-idealist?) fans basically shrugged it off since he was getting his ass beat so bad.

methinks there is a time & place for everything. and complaining that a guy who lost 50-44 didn't get a point or 2 taken away.....

that doesn't condone fence grabbing. it just recognizes that there is a time & place for everything.

and yes, he was very guilty of it.

Back