Veggies

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by bal541, Oct 9, 2005.

1. bal541

bal541 Guest

Well, I've been looking at some of the diets here. Alot of you guys got your carbs, protein, but I don't see a lot of veggies.

I myself eat a big salad a night, and I wonder if thats enough sometimes? So the question is... how important are veggies. A lot of you don't eat many. Are they essential for better recovery times??? General health???

2. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

I usually have vegetables with evey meal, be it steamed mixed veggies, or just a pile of raw carrots with my turkey sandwich. I used to make a lot of stir fries with chicken or lean steak and vegetables, too. They don't take a lot of time, and you get your protein and vegetables. Throw it on top of some brown rice, and you have yourself a meal.

It seems like some of the guys around here talk about not eating vegetables and just to make sure that you take a good multi-vitamin, but I like to keep in the veggies to get the fiber. Plus, I like the taste. They make a great snack, too. While a lot of people are reaching for buttery popcorn, greasy potatoe chips, or candy when they sit down to watch a movie, I grab a bag of baby carrots or maybe cut up some celery and put some natural peanut butter on it.

3. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't know how you didn't notice that most of the regulars here SWEAR by greens. Leafy green veggies > all.

4. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

Spinach rules. I've substituted lettuce with spinach when I get sandwiches. It's much higher in vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

5. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

since were on the topic of vegetables.....

olive oil mixed with red wine vinegar makes a great salad dressing

6. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

So does Apple Cider Vienager.

7. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, they're crucial. Like K says, the regulars know this.

8. SlappyMacGee

SlappyMacGee Banned Banned

Get your carbs through veggies rather then starches. You can eat a whole hell of a lot more Broccoli then rice while consuming the same amount of carbs and vastly more vitamins and minerals.

9. ZGSON

ZGSON Blue Belt

Yup, brocolli is perfect, its a "bulk" food meaning, you can eat a ton of it, with very low caloric intake, and make your self full, this is especailly helpful on a cutting diet. Plus, brocolli has several health benefits, like anti cancer effects.

Although, the bulk of my carbs come from oatmeal and brown rice....I eat brocolli every day...

10. RizRan

RizRan Guest

Incorporate vegetables into your meals dont make a sepearte meal just for veggies

11. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Add a can of tuna and I'm diggin it. But I use basalmic vinegar. I'll try it with red wine vin.

12. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Most people don't eat many veggies because they don't want to cut them up and boil/steam/grill them.
    But the frozen kind, they're quick and easy.

13. creepingcharlie

creepingcharlie Blue Belt

I need more veggies.