vegetarian diet

You seriously think the meat and fish you dont eat are gonna be let free instead of slaughtered and sold as food?

EDIT: For the record I have nothing against vegetarians (just personnally do not agree with it), I just don't see the point in doing it for "moral beliefs" or whatever if you don't go the whole shebang.

realistically the small reduction in demand for meat due to myself is negligible, I know, but it is still there. Eggs are a viable alternative to meat, and while I agree there is some abuse of animal rights involved I think that, given the choice, the hens would rather lay eggs in return for chicken feed and roam around in nice farm yards (free range eggs) than not come into existence. It is also a better example to potential vegetarians who would either not become vegetarians (from meat to pure veg is difficult) or who would have really shitty diets if they were vegetarians (without eggs, I know my own diet wouldn't satisfy some basics...pure vegetarianism is difficult).

I've found that I don't mind subway's new line of breakfast foods. I get it on whole wheat bread.

It's under 350 calories considering I drink low cal gatorade or water with it instead of coffee.

I don't know if there's the same level of crap like mcdonalds, calories wise and taste wise (and price wise) I'm happier with subway if I can't make my own breakfast (running late etc).

running late is sometimes a problem for me, but usually it's just out of convenience/change of scenery/fancying a walk. I had no idea mcdonalds put all that shit in their egg mcmuffins...i thought, who could possibly fuck up egg + cheese + bread.

realistically the small reduction in demand for meat due to myself is negligible, I know, but it is still there. Eggs are a viable alternative to meat, and while I agree there is some abuse of animal rights involved I think that, given the choice, the hens would rather lay eggs in return for chicken feed and roam around in nice farm yards (free range eggs) than not come into existence. It is also a better example to potential vegetarians who would either not become vegetarians (from meat to pure veg is difficult) or who would have really shitty diets if they were vegetarians (without eggs, I know my own diet wouldn't satisfy some basics...pure vegetarianism is difficult).

Then whats so wrong about meat? Wouldnt the cow prefer to be born and humanely raised, allowed to graze on the grass and eventually slaughtered for food than to not come into existance either? I'm talking about local farmers selling grass fed beef and the like now here.

No, if anything he'll stop that animal being born at all. People eat meat from animals which are bred solely to be killed and eaten. If it's for humane reasons whats so bad about eating a pastuered cow whos had a happy life grazing in the sun munching on grass up to the time it was killed?

it's true there is this point about the animals only being around because people eat them. but think about it this way: if humans were only around so that they could be eaten by some higher lifeform at a certain age e.g. 30 years, would you prefer things to carry on like that or have a small band of humans who lifed full and more happy lives without being eaten at age 30? I would prefer it the second way, even if the number of humans was far lower as a result. To me is seems a better oucome.

No, if anything he'll stop that animal being born at all. People eat meat from animals which are bred solely to be killed and eaten. If it's for humane reasons whats so bad about eating a pastuered cow whos had a happy life grazing in the sun munching on grass up to the time it was killed?

If it wasn't born then no harm is done to it, it doesn't exist in the first place. It's similar to being sorry about the children that I have not made because they could have lived happily if I got a woman pregnant. What does not exist can not count.

It's ok if they contain powdered whale vagina.

I know you like beef jerky, bacon, ham , protein powders and chemicals in them are alright but since the egg muffin is Mc donalds and made of grain it is not alright at all. Although that mcdonalds crap sure has way more chemicals and probably is designed to not really make you full but crave and eat more of it.

You can actually hatch quite few store bought eggs into chicks. Google it. YouTube it.

to hatch quite a few you would have to buy many many eggs. I don't think eating eggs is 100% ethical anyway, i don't pretend that. I just think that omitting meat from my diet is a positive thing, like giving $100 to charity (not as good as $200, but something nonetheless).

Then whats so wrong about meat? Wouldnt the cow prefer to be born and humanely raised, allowed to graze on the grass and eventually slaughtered for food than to not come into existance either? I'm talking about local farmers selling grass fed beef and the like now here.

it isn't obvious either way, but by your logic we would also be in favour of humans born specifically to be lab rats/TV entertainment/military weapons/organ growers (imagine a man with a load of ears being grown on his back - happily sitting around until age 30 when he is slaughtered for his other organs - the man may prefer to be born and humanely raised until age 30, but most people would agree it isn't a good outcome). It's a dangerous way of thinking imo. It is better if we say the following: once you're alive, it is unethical for someone to kill you unless you have brought the act on yourself. Same for animals.

EAT REAL FOOD. SIMPLE FOOD. COOK IT YOURSELF.

None of this McDonalds crap. If it's out of a box, chances are it's a "food product," not food.

Drop the pizza, junk food, etc. Limit sugary beverages (even "real" fruit juice should be limited).

My personal simple solution is to eat a green and a protein at every meal, with a starch here and there for good measure.

For example:

Eggs and Spinach, Grapes (some fruit) for breakfast
Fish (or Tofu), potatoes and asparagus for lunch
Gluten (Seitan) stir fry for dinner

Bunch of fruit and water between. Supplements if necessary.

{rant on}

Also, as a former vegetarian I have to state - even as a veggo I knew there was more suffering on a plate of kale and potatoes than a plate of steak and potatoes. This made me question a whole slew of personal ideas about alturistic eating.

While now ingesting fish (and feeling much better physically because of it), I still eat more than my fair share of veggies.

Keep in mind the death per pound of food logic. One cow or pig or lamb can feed people for weeks (or longer) and the body can have uses beyond food. An equivalent amount of rice/beans - tofu - or gluten would (in most cases) result in a multitude of pest elimination. Which one is more humane?

Just how many bugs die to get those greens nice and leafy and full? Just how many field mice and rodents died for your bowl of salad?

So while nothing eating but vegetables for moral reasons is an admirable thing, the amount of work needed to stick to such an ideal is simply prohibitive. Any vegetarian claiming to help the world, whom doesn't raise and eat their own food, is a hypocite at best. Catch phrases such as "organic" don't do anything but complicate the matter.

{/rant off}

EAT REAL FOOD. SIMPLE FOOD. COOK IT YOURSELF.

None of this McDonalds crap. If it's out of a box, chances are it's a "food product," not food.

Drop the pizza, junk food, etc. Limit sugary beverages (even "real" fruit juice should be limited).

My personal simple solution is to eat a green and a protein at every meal, with a starch here and there for good measure.

For example:

Eggs and Spinach, Grapes (some fruit) for breakfast
Fish (or Tofu), potatoes and asparagus for lunch
Gluten (Seitan) stir fry for dinner

Bunch of fruit and water between. Supplements if necessary.

{rant on}

Also, as a former vegetarian I have to state - even as a veggo I knew there was more suffering on a plate of kale and potatoes than a plate of steak and potatoes. This made me question a whole slew of personal ideas about alturistic eating.

While now ingesting fish (and feeling much better physically because of it), I still eat more than my fair share of veggies.

Keep in mind the death per pound of food logic. One cow or pig or lamb can feed people for weeks (or longer) and the body can have uses beyond food. An equivalent amount of rice/beans - tofu - or gluten would (in most cases) result in a multitude of pest elimination. Which one is more humane?

Just how many bugs die to get those greens nice and leafy and full? Just how many field mice and rodents died for your bowl of salad?

So while nothing eating but vegetables for moral reasons is an admirable thing, the amount of work needed to stick to such an ideal is simply prohibitive. Any vegetarian claiming to help the world, whom doesn't raise and eat their own food, is a hypocite at best. Catch phrases such as "organic" don't do anything but complicate the matter.

{/rant off}

Lol who cares about bugs ? If an animal has an extremely small brain I don't feel sorry for it like birds. Ok I can understand the rats but they transmit diseases. I just feel very sorry for dogs who are breeded to be human pets who have no home and wander the streets with a sad face and probably hungry - can be a little heart wrenching. Too bad we don't have those homes for animals who don't belong to anyone like they have in Germany.

Also my number 1 argument against vegan-ism is - animals kill other animals ALL the time AND in a cruel manner often. Look at lions eating zebras alive. Or once I saw on TV a young Jaguar playing with a big snake literally peeling the snakes skin alive off her. Or rabbit males killing their own children. Dogs tearing apart cats. Does an anaconda, shark or lion feel sorry when it kills a human, of course not - although that happens very rarely.

It would be great if animals had normal living conditions but well if I'd try to change the world I'd help poor human beings first instead of animals. If for a similar price I could choose at the grocery between normally raised animal products or animal products held in bad mass conditions of course I would buy the first one.

I'm full of logic, ain't it cool.

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

Lol who cares about bugs ?

I'm arguing from a logical and moral perspective. If you (hypothetically, as a vegetarian) believe you are above killing cute, fluffy, bright-doe-eyed and beautiful animals to be cruel, but could care less about the "bugs", "pests", and "disease-carriers", you have more then just a dietary issue. You have a perspective issue as well. Killing bugs and feeling okay but feeling bad for dogs is the definition of hypocracy. :icon_neut

{another rant}
I happen to care about life in general. However, in order to continute to do so I have to make sure my life is sustained as best as possible. Ever heard of "charity starts at home"? As such, I have to take good care of by body by listening to it and supplying it with what's required for optimal functionality. From there, I can do my best to be logical and moral about my food choices and how it impacts stuff.
{/end rant}

I'm arguing from a logical and moral perspective. If you (hypothetically, as a vegetarian) believe you are above killing cute, fluffy, bright-doe-eyed and beautiful animals to be cruel, but could care less about the "bugs", "pests", and "disease-carriers", you have more then just a dietary issue. You have a perspective issue as well. Killing bugs and feeling okay but feeling bad for dogs is the definition of hypocracy. :icon_neut

{another rant}
I happen to care about life in general. However, in order to continute to do so I have to make sure my life is sustained as best as possible. Ever heard of "charity starts at home"? As such, I have to take good care of by body by listening to it and supplying it with what's required for optimal functionality. From there, I can do my best to be logical and moral about my food choices and how it impacts stuff.
{/end rant}

Human flora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you shouldn't shower - you might kill the living bacteria on your skin, sounds good ?

Its not hypocritical if you put more worth on beings with greater intelligence. I believe the lives of mammals to have more worth than the lives of bugs due to their greater capacity for "feeling" or "think". You could extend this to humans as well.

Human flora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you shouldn't shower - you might kill the living bacteria on your skin, sounds good ?

Okay, try this:

health first
thoughts / morality / beliefs second

Simple enough?

Its not hypocritical if you put more worth on beings with greater intelligence. I believe the lives of mammals to have more worth than the lives of bugs due to their greater capacity for "feeling" or "think". You could extend this to humans as well.

Sentience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll take that one. Everyone places a certain value on their "values". I'll leave the idealogical debate for another time. I have my view, you have yours. All is well.

However, I think we all can agree McDonalds is generally NOT the way to go as far as health is concerned.

To the TS, as everyone else has said, drop the McDonalds. Your lunch and dinner don't look that bad, but just make sure to get enough protein.

It seems like every vegetarian thread on these boards turns into a hit piece.

On the subject of vagetarianism:

To me, not eating animals because they don't like dying is fucking retarded. Every living thing is opposed to dying. This is something acquired by nature through millions of years of evolution in order to promote the survival of that species. If every organism within a certain species was fine with dying, that species would die out very quickly. Animals will run from or fight anything that could kill them for the same reason that trees have bark and thorn-bushes have thorns and poison ivy produces chemicals to ward off animals that touch it. It's also the same reason that fish travel in schools and rabbits dig holes and gazelles run quickly. Not eating things that people and other animals have been eating for millions of years because of one adaptation that every living thing has in one form or another strikes me as both being a clear symptom of vaginitis and being very stupid.

Vegetarianism as a moral belief system is about causing the least amount of suffering possible, not necessarily "not eating things that don't want to die", because, as you have stated, everything is adverse to dying. Sure, it may not be natural, but we as humans have progressed such that we can alter traditional dietary patterns. If someone feels that they would prefer not to eat meat for various moral reasons how does it affect you? Why does it make vegetarians stupid? How is that "vaginitis"?

Back