Vegan Athletes Exposed

The world can not survive on a vegan diet. If everyone went vegan we wouldn't be able to feed everyone, estimates on how many people would be under-fed are up to half the world's population. It's hilarious too that most people who are vegan are also anti-GMO, without GMOs say bye to even more of the human race.

And to the dude that posted 'meat is the worst possible thing you can eat' you are gravely misinformed.

Went vegan about 6 months ago to help my long distance running.

One of the best decisions I ever made. And I love meat. Fucking love it.

i have heard and seen the most results of endurance athletes going vegan compared to other types of athletes which makes this interesting to me.
Have you ever done any sort of strength training or explosive work outs while on the diet?
do you notice any changes in recovery, or feel weaker in any area? i felt like when on a vegan diet my muscles didn't recover well but i also notice the same applied to my skin and my tendons and bones felt more sore then normal more consistently and for longer periods of time. This to me meant i wasn't getting the nutrition i needed but i was supplementing and still around 3000 calories a day. I also didn't have the same aggressive drive and seemed to have a hormonal drop off.
after looking into it more genetics seems to play a part in how well your body adapts to a vegan diet. in my case i think my body struggles to absorb all the needed nutrition and utilize it efficiently
i also struggled to get in that 3000 on the diet since most of the calorie dense or high protein vegan foods are difficult for me to eat large quantities in comparison to meat with out major stomach discomfort.
what i have found made me feel better and seems better for endurance is intermittent fasting , high fat diet, time restricted eating and really making sure you have as much variety as possible. animal fats are also good for hormone levels.
i stil am struggling to find a vegan athlete i find to be top tier. also most mma fighters who have claimed to be vegan were only vegan for a tiny bit and mostly would eat eggs and fish in addition to vegan options so they were using the wrong word. nate nick and sean omally were plant based but also ate eggs and fish.
there are vegan body builders online but it is clear every supplement possible plus add hormones help maintain that. where are the legit ones out there and why do all the vegans online look malnourished especially long term vegans.

Sugar Sean O'malley is a vegan. So is Mac Danzig (winner TUF). As is Jake Shields.

Proof that you can get to a very high level. It's important you educate yourself so you get the macro and micronutrients that you need (can be said for any diet).

I don't understand the issue. We all have our reasons. I was brought up on a farm and I love meat. I've followed a vegan diet for around 6 years now and for a number of reasons (mostly for food sustainability reasons and I don't agree with the principles of how certain animals are treated) but I'd never push it on others as it's my choice.

I like that certain companies like 'Quorn' have a tonne of products on the market that give you more choices - not the bland cardboard stuff of years ago.

Sean OMalley went off the Vegan diet a long time ago, he complained about it a lot on the Joe Rogan show and how it made him lose a lot of weight.

Jake shields was never Vegan btw, he's a vegetarian.

The world can not survive on a vegan diet. If everyone went vegan we wouldn't be able to feed everyone, estimates on how many people would be under-fed are up to half the world's population. It's hilarious too that most people who are vegan are also anti-GMO, without GMOs say bye to even more of the human race.

And to the dude that posted 'meat is the worst possible thing you can eat' you are gravely misinformed.

Feeding a vegan world would actually be pretty sustainable as most of the crops on Earth are grown to feed animals. Every vegan I know also doesn't give a shit about GMOs.

Its as simple as this. Better quality protein and in much, much more quantity along with full amino acids from meat. I eat grass fed lean cuts. I also eat fresh fruit and veg. I think is rather be vegetarian than those who just eat mcdonalds or processed meat though.
No hippy is going to convince me to consume soy protein or pea protein.

Danzig and Brookins both became Ultimate Fighters on vegan diets.

Sean OMalley went off the Vegan diet a long time ago, he complained about it a lot on the Joe Rogan show and how it made him lose a lot of weight.

Jake shields was never Vegan btw, he's a vegetarian.

That's neither here nor there. Both have been vegan at one time or another and are vegetarian now. TS and most people just go with "you can't be a successful athlete without animal products" and that is incorrect.

It even highlights O'Malley issue with it and that is education. Energy balance is his issue not the diet. If he couldn't eat enough calories on a vegan diet that is due to a lack of education (most likely) not the diet.

Nate Diaz choked :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Mcgregor out on a vegan diet
He also got punched to fk and lost to a 145lb Irish midget who only knows how to punch.
Is also about 30yrs old and suffers brain damage due to his inability to avoid getting beat up.

Brining up Diaz only backs up TS claim

"All disease begins in the gut" - Hippocrates

2000 years ago and it appears that people were well aware of the effect that diet played on our well being.

"Guts and grease" is a great article by Weston A. Price that studied the traditional diet of Native Americans that involved copious amounts of fatty animal products. These were the same men that "Stood 7ft tall and could chase a deer down on foot without becoming tired" (quoted from a Spanish colonist, so probably a bit embellished but just shows that these people were known for their tremendous health and vitality).

I bring up processed sugar because to reference the studies that demonized animal products, we also have to reference who funded these studies. Thus, the sugar and grain industry is brought up.

Modern science as we would recognize it is a relatively recent phenomenon, discounting it's discoveries on the basis that it's discoveries didn't exist prior is ludicrous.

I'm certainly not going to start analyzing a statistically significant sample of dietary studies and their funding to comment on what percentage were funded by who to argue about that. Unfortunately corporate funded research is a thing and it's fucking bullshit IMO but we live in a corporate oligarchy at the moment.

I'm probably not going to read the article you brought up but was there any variable-controlled study in regards to this or was it just anecdotal accounting of there diet and their health?

Nate Diaz choked :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Mcgregor out on a vegan diet
No, Nate was not vegan. he's always been pescatarian without the dairy.

He was however predominantly vegan while cutting to lightweight for many of his fights. He's spoke about this many times. How he was eating only plants cutting to and that his cuts / performances were very hit or miss.

During his fights against Conor though, he was eating more eggs and fish. I personally like him way better when he allows himself to eat and fill out. His best performances of his career were against Conor.

If anything, you could make the argument that his vegan diet during his lightweight fights hindered his performance at times.

This isn't to say that you can't make a vegan diet work as a high level athlete, there's many examples of this too. It's just, not everyone can. It's very tricky and variable.

He is though

He doesnt eat "land meat" or "dairy", that just means no meat from land animals and no cheese/milk.

But they both eat fish, eggs etc.

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story...regimen-benson-henderson-killer-recipe-120312

"But Diaz has simple reasons for eating almost exclusively raw fruits and vegetables, organic and whole foods as opposed to manufactured foods, and only occasionally throwing in fish and eggs:"

its basically largely a raw diet with fish and eggs for the protein.

NOT VEGAN

I go vegan for a few weeks every year. Usually 3-4 weeks, sometimes a whole month. I just feel better while doing it and drop any extra pounds I pick up during the rest of the year. I eat fairly healthy. Always lots of fruits, veggies, beans, legumes, etc. Drink mostly water. But I also love meat and struggle to not overeat it unless I'm really paying attention and I've got better things to think about. My main issue dietarily is I have a sweet tooth. I try to keep it in check, but I'm not made of stone. Lol. I try to stick to fruits for snacks but the occasional chocolate whatever (especially desert when eating out) manages to slip in there.

Anyway, switching to raw vegan (wife and I also make fresh juice every day during that month and a couple times a week the rest of the year) for a month every year seems to do wonders with clearing the system and getting me back to an ideal baseline. I could never do it year round though.

meat, by and large is probably the most unhealthy thing you can eat...bar none...talk to any expert on nutrition and they will all tell you the same thing...fish is far more healthy. and as far as protein, there are many things you can have to get plenty of protein...protein powders for example...eggs are also very healthy.
People have been eating meat for thousands of years.

90% of high level athletes since the beginning of human history have consumed high quality animal food.

Grass fed, pastured meats from animals with good genetics are far different in nutrient composition than factory farmed meats.

The Idea that meat is "one of the most unhealthy things you can eat" Is more one of the biggest and dumbest myths In existence. Most nutritionists say otherwise, what It is perpetuated by Is doctors and others who prescribe to outdated and debunked science.

Modern science as we would recognize it is a relatively recent phenomenon, discounting it's discoveries on the basis that it's discoveries didn't exist prior is ludicrous.

I'm certainly not going to start analyzing a statistically significant sample of dietary studies and their funding to comment on what percentage were funded by who to argue about that. Unfortunately corporate funded research is a thing and it's fucking bullshit IMO but we live in a corporate oligarchy at the moment.

I'm probably not going to read the article you brought up but was there any variable-controlled study in regards to this or was it just anecdotal accounting of there diet and their health?

I'm not arguing that modern science is completely inaccurate. But it has made some critical errors by assuming that we are more intelligent then the people before us because of technology. Some of these issues haven't even fully come to light. The next 10-20 years in science is going to open a lot of eyes, I'd imagine. If it continues on the same course it has, in regards to nutrition and gut health. Oddly enough we are simply reinventing the wheel and realizing that what those old idiots said 2000 years ago might have been right..

As far as the Weston A. Price article, I can't recall the specifics of the measures he took to study those people. I'd have to reference it again, but for the sake of argument we will it's mostly anecdotal. I do know he studied the inuits with considerable scientific measures and found no signs of heart disease and a very good health profile. So there is that.

To rely on our modern scientific measures of health is also very limiting. How many autoimmune disorders go overlooked because of our inability to test for most? Instead of relying on modern science to test for us, I'd say it's much wiser to listen to our bodies and become in tune with them. Science is relative.

Sherdog nutritionists are at it again lol.

Let's just disregard the fact that meat and animal products have only been considered "bad" for the last 100 years of human existence. Let's also disregard the fact that the sugar industry and agriculture business gained an extraordinary amount of business during this time. Food pyramid was written by the agriculture business, not credible nutritionists.

Science is also rapidly realizing that animal products are tremendously better for us then processed grains and sugar. That a diet rich in fatty meats, properly sprouted/fermented grains, roots/tubers, Raw dairy, cooked greens, ect ect is what the human body thrives on. No surprise that's what humans have thrived on for our entire existence.

I recommend the people of sherdog to read some Weston A Price, Mark Sisson, Chris Kesser, Dr. Rhonda Patrick, and Dr. Axe literature. It will help you out in the long run.
<PlusJuan>

Back