News Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Jamaine Ortiz set for October 29 (ESPN+)

Hmm. Ortiz is a fringe contender currently rated No. 11 in BoxRec's lightweight rankings. He's undefeated at 16-0 with 1 draw. Loma's been out for 8 months and on the battlefield so I'm not surprised he's taking a tune-up opponent. I'll have to watch more of Ortiz's fights. I've only seen a couple.

Loma's legacy will be interesting. I think he's low key wasting his career. One of hte most exciting fighters of his era, but hasn't had any career defining wins yet and he's not young.

Hmm. Ortiz is a fringe contender currently rated No. 11 in BoxRec's lightweight rankings. He's undefeated at 16-0 with 1 draw. Loma's been out for 8 months and on the battlefield so I'm not surprised he's taking a tune-up opponent. I'll have to watch more of Ortiz's fights. I've only seen a couple.
Inexperienced and feather fisted.
Its a tune up.

Inexperienced and feather fisted.
Its a tune up.
I said it's a tune-up. This guy is still undefeated and a fringe contender. He's higher ranked than Romero was when Tank fought him and that was somehow a PPV fight. Afterwards Loma wants the winner of Haney-Kambosos.

Why would a 34-year-old guy with over 400 fights need a tune up ? He's not gonna forget how to box after 8 months. It's ridiculous and a waste of time.

Why would a 34-year-old guy with over 400 fights need a tune up ? He's not gonna forget how to box after 8 months. It's ridiculous and a waste of time.
He doesn't need a tune-up that's just what we're getting. They're designed to sharpen the fighter's timing after they've been out of the ring for a while. By the time the fight happens he'll have been out of the ring for 10½ months. That's nearly a year. Since he plans to fight the top dog afterwards it would be an ideal scenario to shake off any rust first. It may be a waste of time but tune-up fights and stay busy fights are a part of boxing. Even the old timers fought these types of opponents after layoffs and in-between championship fights. That's how they end up with literally hundreds of pro fights on their record.

Not the best fight but if it gets him in vs Haney/Kambosos so be it.

Nomaschenko needs to step on the gas pedal with his career trajectory. Hes not getting younger.

He doesn't need a tune-up that's just what we're getting. They're designed to sharpen the fighter's timing after they've been out of the ring for a while. By the time the fight happens he'll have been out of the ring for 10½ months. That's nearly a year. Since he plans to fight the top dog afterwards it would be an ideal scenario to shake off any rust first. It may be a waste of time but tune-up fights and stay busy fights are a part of boxing. Even the old timers fought these types of opponents after layoffs and in-between championship fights. That's how they end up with literally hundreds of pro fights on their record.

Isn't he supposed to be some legit great fighter? Manny and Floyd didn't fight nobodies for tune up fights even after long breaks. This guy is so over hyped its hilarious. 34 years old and 16-2 and still taking tune fights. A 10 month lay off is nothing major anyway.

Isn't he supposed to be some legit great fighter? Manny and Floyd didn't fight nobodies for tune up fights even after long breaks. This guy is so over hyped its hilarious. 34 years old and 16-2 and still taking tune fights. A 10 month lay off is nothing major anyway.
Oh really? Yeah they did. Benavidez is literally fighting worse opponents every time out yet you blow him like crazy. Meanwhile Loma just stepped off the front line and has arguably the least padded resume in the sport. Show me a resume that dense in so few fights.

Loma was the #1 contender to fight Kambo before Ukraine got invaded, and Loma going to support his country is the only reason Haney is now unified champ.

On top of that the sanctioning bodies said Loma would get an immediate title shot if/when he returns, but at the current time Haney is scheduled to fight Kambo again so Loma has to have a stay busy fight.

Not sure why people are getting confused about a stay busy fight because Haney already has a fight lined up.

Oh really? Yeah they did. Benavidez is literally fighting worse opponents every time out yet you blow him like crazy. Meanwhile Loma just stepped off the front line and has arguably the least padded resume in the sport. Show me a resume that dense in so few fights.

Did you see the latest? Benavidez Sr said Morrell is scared to fight his son which you'd have to be an idiot to believe, and then he said he wants David to fight Beterbiev and Bivol.

I bet you anything lil D doesn't go near Beterbiev.

Did you see the latest? Benavidez Sr said Morrell is scared to fight his son which you'd have to be an idiot to believe, and then he said he wants David to fight Beterbiev and Bivol.

I bet you anything lil D doesn't go near Beterbiev.
Interesting. Morrell only has 7 fights yet Benavidez is chasing him. I hope he does fight either Beterbiev or Bivol but he won't. He knows better than that. We already know how that would go lol.

Let's look at The Ring's current Top 10 at lightweight (11 including the champ).

C) Haney - Just fought. Is locked into an immediate rematch next with Kambosos.
1) Kambosos - See above.
2) Lopez - Just fought. Wouldn't give Loma a rematch before anyway.
3) Lomachenko - He can't fight himself.
4) Tank - Just fought. Floyd also isn't putting him in there with Loma anytime soon.
5) Garcia - Just fought. Oscar also isn't putting him in there with Loma anytime soon.
6) Cruz - Already has a fight scheduled for September 4th.
7) JoJo Diaz - Just lost his last fight to Haney.
8) Commey - Loma just beat him in his last fight.
9) William Zepeda - Just fought a few months ago. Despite being highly rated here by The Ring BoxRec disagrees and has him ranked No. 20 (which is lower than Ortiz).
10) Frank Martin - Just fought last month and is ranked much lower than Ortiz by BoxRec at No. 33.
https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=281

Ortiz is rated No. 11, an undefeated fringe contender, and was probably the highest rated available opponent for Loma to fight.

Last edited:
Idc how good Loma is, if I’m his handler he’s taking a tune up before he fights one of the big fish. Fans were already mentioning he was starting to look a little older and then he went home to war, I would want my fight re-introduced to my audience in a showcase that hypes his return up where he also could safely regain in ring focus for bigger tests ahead. Fight makes sense

The guy was just on front lines of a war dude lol

Oh shit,
More build up vids doing math problems between spars!
Well he be pulling his opponent into the matrix?
After downloading data in the first few rounds ofc.
Am I missing something?
Oh right..PAPACHENKO!

Oh shit,
More build up vids doing math problems between spars!
Well he be pulling his opponent into the matrix?
After downloading data in the first few rounds ofc.
Am I missing something?
Oh right..PAPACHENKO!
the catch phrases ESPN comes up with are so fucking annoying it hurts my brain.

but let's be honest here. the man's fought nothing but champions and contenders his entire career, he can have a showcase fight after fighting in a fucking war for 6 months.

especially if haney grows a pair and fights him after he dismantles kambosos again. haney lomachenko is a mouth watering fight for any fan of technical fighters.

The TBRB has Ortiz rated No. 9. That's essentially what Nakatani was rated when Loma beat him. He was at the bottom of the Top 10 as well. This isn't a very good fight but it's also not the worst. Better opponents likely weren't available (as I covered the entire Top 10 earlier).
ortiz.png

https://tbrb.org/rankings

Back