Variations on Ezekial Choke?

blfdgrappler

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have seen the "Ezekial" choke several different ways on the net, and depending on who you ask, it seems it could impact both the trachea or bloodflow. Some versions have the hands/wrists or forearms going over the throat, while another has the fist going directly into the side of the neck. I understood that it is generally performed by wrapping one arm behind the opponent

You can perform the choke no-gi as well; instead of grabbing the sleeve of the choking arm, you grab your own bicep and use the lever arm the same way.
I've been trying out the variation where you grab about half way up the forearm and use your under-hooking arm's biceps to close off the other side of the neck. For me, that works a lot better and is a much cleaner choke.

You can do this in the gi as well, sleeve grip with under-hooking hand, free hand for one side of the neck and bicep for the other. Lets you stay a bit tighter to them while you finish the choke rather than having to stretch your arms out and create a bunch of space like with the regular version.

Traditionally the Ezekial choke is more common with a Gi. There is no right or wrong way as everyone has different styles but they are only minor varioations!! At the end of the day they are all doing the same thing or else it would not be an Ezekial choke anymore. Like Snitz mentioned above it is also possible with no gi by holding bicep.
If ur rolling using a Gi, then the only method i know is the one u mentioned about using ur opposite sleeve!! Personally i think it is a very basic move and a well trained BJJ practioner should not be getting caught with it!!

Nogi definitely a wind choke, gi (the way I've been taught) blood choke. Though, if I don't get it in tight due to a knowingly resisting opponent it can result in a wind choke

Back