News Valentina Shevchenko vs. Joanne Calderwood Added to UFC 251 in Australia

Who Wins?

• Valentina Shevchenko

• Joanne Calderwood

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not going to lie, I only recently started paying attention to Women's Strawweight fights outside of title fights and contender fights. I knew the name, but not attached to any big fights.

Jojo's probably a bit more game an opponent for Valentina than the previous two challengers in that she can mix things up and isn't shy about throwing down.

If you get a chance check out some of her previous fights or interviews. Her career has been pretty up and down as she has changed gyms & battled some personal demons.

Her soft-spoken nature, sense of humor and willingness to scrap have made her a fan favorite for some time. That may be why a decent number voted for her to win. I wasn't amongst them but just thought I'd explain her popularity a bit.

Basically like this...

NiceMeaslyHerald-size_restricted.gif
you do know that the real fighter in this clip is bellator's current flyweight champ yeah?

Looking forward to Calderwood tears and whining in her annoying little baby voice.

<Waaah>
You came to a thread, which will be read by people who obviously ARE interested in this fight, which is why they came to the thread in the first place, to tell those people that this is a fight nobody cares about? LOL. Have you taken too many blows to the head, bro? Or is it just that your WMMA-hate has made you goofy? Whatever the reason, you made yourself come across as not very bright. Do you see why? Or is that simple logic beyond your grasp?

The thread has a view count. It has posts by people discussing the fight. It has a poll with votes. These are generated by people who care enough to view, discuss, and vote. A five-year-old can figure that out. Are you smarter than a five-year-old? Then act like it, bro. And spare us this dumb shit.
He’s not necessarily wrong, though. A champ facing a challenger on a single win just to stay active is weak. Valentina is an amazing fighter, but she’s the queen of the weakest division in the UFC. Her throne lies atop a mountain of Campbell’s soup cans.

I like Jojo but damn this is stupid. Val will just take her down and GnP her or sub her. Zero interest in this fight, that division is trash. Kinda like LHW division, dominant champ and then nothing else.

He’s not necessarily wrong, though. A champ facing a challenger on a single win just to stay active is weak. Valentina is an amazing fighter, but she’s the queen of the weakest division in the UFC. Her throne lies atop a mountain of Campbell’s soup cans.
Let the champ do her thing while they (hopefully) build up the division. If she waits around for a worthy challenger, it may be a bit. I wonder, though, would the division look so thin if Shevchenko wasn’t around? Middleweight looked thin during Silva’s reign, then got interesting after he lost. Light Heavyweight was the marquee division at one point, then Jones showed himself to be head and shoulders above the rest.

I wonder, though, would the division look so thin if Shevchenko wasn’t around? Middleweight looked thin during Silva’s reign, then got interesting after he lost. Light Heavyweight was the marquee division at one point, then Jones showed himself to be head and shoulders above the rest.

I think it would look like a pretty deep division if Valentina weren't in it. Match up any 2 fighters in the top 10 and you'd have a pretty fun & competitive fight, and there's fighters outside the top 10 that would give anyone in it a good fight. In terms of skill level, the top fighters aren't as good as their counterparts at 115 but I think the rest of them are reasonably close.

You're right*

don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.
Excuse me, you’re correct sir. I can admit when I’m wrong. A little tired, still in bed.
I was just bustin balls

Would you be saying this if she was still at 135? Without her the belt would resemble a hot-potato, more than likely.

I think it would look like a pretty deep division if Valentina weren't in it. Match up any 2 fighters in the top 10 and you'd have a pretty fun & competitive fight, and there's fighters outside the top 10 that would give anyone in it a good fight. In terms of skill level, the top fighters aren't as good as their counterparts at 115 but I think the rest of them are reasonably close.

Shit. I just freakin' said this.

Back