Valentina Shevchenko: Lauren Murphy and Jessica Andrade need to fight to decide No.1 Contender

Murphy said herself that Andrade has an argument to be above her.

The only argument for Andrade to be anywhere near a title shot is that the division is in shambles, so they've really got no one else credible. It's not that she's terrible, because she isn't. She's good. But she needs more wins.

The only argument for Andrade to be anywhere near a title shot is that the division is in shambles, so they've really got no one else credible. It's not that she's terrible, because she isn't. She's good. But she needs more wins.

I can agree with that. I actually think someone like Calvillo could be a decent contender of she continues to improve.

I question how long Val will remain in the division....her only challend is Nunes...she needs to chase that fight down once more...she believes she won the second fight, most believe she did as well. She needs to chase it down and get the W or she will just be remember as the champ of a weak division.

No, Shevy/Andrade & Murphy/Calvillo.

We're 3 weeks away from ufc 255, & if Shevchenko comes out unscathed then she'll likely be looking to stay active by spring at the latest. Just keep Andrade on ice for a couple more weeks, it's the only fight that gives fans some excitement.

I don't get how Valentina is managing her title reign, she should see all three contenders as an opportunity for another easy defence and try to fight them all as soon as possible. Andrade is the only one that might be competitive, but the others are just two walking paychecks for her.

Yeah she should try to fight 5 times a year and set a defense record that no one else will be able to beat.

Imagine Lucky Lauren starching Valentina. That would be hilarious.
The Valentina fanboys will be on suicide watch.

I mean, not shambles but its an active champ where all the top fights either didn't get made, had to be replaced last minute, or were ruined by bad judging. I don't think a champion losing her belt then a title eliminator who changes division and beats the number 1 contender is any particularly terrible indication or anything. I mean, if Cody dropped to fly after the TJ fight and beat Cejudo or if Holloway moved up now and beat Poirier, no one would say shit

Imo, they shouldnt have been so quick with the Maia/Jojo thing. Right now, Cal, Jess, and Murphy are all credible "challengers" and, at most, only need one good win to be obvious number 1 contenders. Murphy was supposed to get one with Calvillo, but it fell through. Best case scenario, all three of them beat someone good and Val fights all, but Val should at least be fighting 2 of them

Last edited:
Jessica Andrade is actually a pretty good match up against anyone in that division including the champion. She definitely has a punchers chance.

No she doesn't. If Nunes couldn't connect cleanly with Shev and hurt her, no way her mini-me does either.

Lol Val's gonna have to fight all of them. Fuck what a sad division.

That might be the weakest division in the UFC

Just imagine if Valentina didn’t exist; it would look like the most stack division of wmma bc it would be so competitive the belt would be passing like hot potato.

Yeah she should try to fight 5 times a year and set a defense record that no one else will be able to beat.

I’ve heard her saying her coach doesn’t push her over the limits to preserve her health as long as possible. Same goes to fighting at SW, it’s possible for Valentina but it would take much of her health (as JJ does) so they decide to preserve her health and fight as many years as possible.
She even said she doesn’t see a retirement (ever) it seems to me that she’s gonna be active until her late 30s if she stays healthy

Meh, take Maia out and out Andrade in there latter in the month, Lets stop fucking around and wasting time.

Just imagine if Valentina didn’t exist; it would look like the most stack division of wmma bc it would be so competitive the belt would be passing like hot potato.

I’ve heard her saying her coach doesn’t push her over the limits to preserve her health as long as possible. Same goes to fighting at SW, it’s possible for Valentina but it would take much of her health (as JJ does) so they decide to preserve her health and fight as many years as possible.
She even said she doesn’t see a retirement (ever) it seems to me that she’s gonna be active until her late 30s if she stays healthy

She shouldn't need to be pushed over her limits. She's head and shoulders above the other women in the division in every aspect of mma. She should take advantage while the division is so weak and stack up title defenses.

Maybe she got a shooting competition or something soon and wouldn't mind waiting to see these 2 fight it out while she pays attention to that.

Ducking Andrade already? Just line them up...Something i never thought i would see from Valentina, she has no contenders and now she is trying to get one out of the way?

Why? She arguably beat Rose, who is getting a title shot off of one win.

Back