1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Vale Tudo style shorts? What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by MMABullrider, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MMABullrider

MMABullrider White Belt

Really dumb question, but I figured I'd get a good range of opinions here....

What's the deal with the vale tudo style shorts? I'm a converted wrestler, and would prefer to wear the "tights" instead of more mainstream fight shorts, but can anybody pull off that gig? GSP and Andersen Silva have the whole foreign gig going for them, but would a guy like Matt Hughes pull it off?

2. Krimzon7

Krimzon7 White Belt

SUGA Rashad Evans wears them. He wins in them

3. K4BOSH

K4BOSH Purple Belt

a lot of wrestlers did that when vale tudo shorts were big in mma. Coleman, Sherk, Hughes, Liddell, Rampage, Randy Couture, Randleman, Kohler, Kerr, Waterman...the list goes on and on.

4. The Clifford

The Clifford Blue Belt

I don't care who else wears them, they are just wicked comfy. Feels real natural, and shows off my great ass.

5. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

Pics or work.:icon_lol:

6. Keej613

Keej613 Guest

Really?

GSP is from an hour away from the US border.

7. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

I like em, they never get in the way. I wear vale tudo shorts with full length leggings under them and a long sleeve rash guard.

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Yellow Belt

I just got naked, covered myself in baby oil, and posed in the mirror for like ten minutes. Is that weird?

9. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

they're the best shots to wear for mobility imo. and 3/5 champs in the ufc wear them:)

10. situation4life

situation4life Orange Belt

can't grab the shorts so you don't have to worry about that when fighting kongo.

11. Eric O

Eric O Amateur Fighter

I've been training since before Baggy MMA shorts were invented. Lately I've had a hard time finding Lycra ones. I've been buying the FCF ones but they fit weird.

Anyone have any suggestions? I used to have some cool HDB Extreme ones but they're out of buisness. Maybe Wand?

12. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Some guy at my gym showed up with compression shorts and not loose shorts. Worked great for him, but it was a little weird.

13. bleaK

bleaK Blue Belt

gsp is Canadian.. that's considered foreign?

14. MMABullrider

MMABullrider White Belt

You gotta have a passport to go to Canada, and they have different money, so get over yourselves about Canada being foreign... It's a different fucking country, period.

My point about GSP (and andersen silva too for that matter) being foreign is that even though you couldn't tell by looking at him, but as soon as the dude opens his mouth, women go misty... A "white" french guy, from "an hour north of the US border", is still a Canadian, let alone a french-canadian and professional fighter... GSP can get away with a very different sense of style than a white-bread american amateur MMA kid from Kansas. I'm not trying to start some lame ass border war or racial BS, my point was that the rules on "style" for a french canadian UFC champ aren't necessarily the same as they are for me... Or are they?