vale tudo shorts, and jock shorts (groin protector)

DI99

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
about to order a pair of vale tudo shorts for training/sparring, my waist is about a 31/32, but i know these shorts are fairly tight, so im wondering if i should get a 30' or a 32'? (would 32 be too to loose for a pair of shorts that are suppose to be a fairly tight fit?)
same thing goes for the jock shorts, probably gonna get the underarmor ones that have the jock in them, which is also suppose to be a tight fit, whats the best size for proper fit if my waist is around a 31/32?

Built in cups are bad except for Jaco.
Do a search before you order.

Built in cups are bad except for Jaco.
Do a search before you order.

i've heard many good reviews on underarmor and also dirtyboxer. thanks for your opinion though, regardless of the brand i go with, im just looking for the sizing for now.

They're your nuts.... Shock doctor and UA, the cup shifted and I had to Tap QUICKLY.

I agree with jkd. None of the shorts I have tried shock doctor and dirty boxer have been any good compared to the jaco cup. Both shifted badly and that will not do for my bits :)

any idea what fighters use in mma competition? do you think any use just a jock strap with the cup? or shorts with build in cup for the most part?

from what I have seen in fights, a lot where a jock strap some also use the thai steel cup that you tie on. Most guys in my gym wear a jock strap, I wear the Itec Jock Plus shorts because it has the built in leg straps so the jock doesn't shift but I normally dont train with the cup in.

A jock with compression shorts over it is perfect for me.
Plus you can afford to have several straps and cheap compression shorts so you always have a clean one (I train 5 or 6 days a week)

A jock with compression shorts over it is perfect for me.
Plus you can afford to have several straps and cheap compression shorts so you always have a clean one (I train 5 or 6 days a week)

thats kinda what i'm leaning toward now, got any sites or brands that sell compression shorts for cheap?

I've only had an issue with the shock doctor shifting once, and you see a lot of top fighters wear it. I will say the cup is a little small if you're packing heat.

I don't think my problem with the Shock Doctor was from too small a cup. I found that even with the SD Basic-X shorts which appear to have a built in jock strap to hold the cup securely in place, the cup floated and shifted. I don't think I am "packing too much heat" as you put it, but if that were the case, what brand of cup would you suggest trying?

i think i'm just going with a normal jock strap/cup (one that i used for baseball) and putting a pair of underarmor compression shorts over it. only question left to that though is should i put boxers on, then the jock, then compression shorts, then the VT shorts? or just the jock then compression shorts, then VT shorts?? im thinking boxers before the jock would be too many layers and make movement more difficult, but im not sure if putting the jock on without boxers before it would be too uncomfortable or not

Just have tight fitting underwear under the jock.
In the US discount stores you can find compression shorts for $8-$10.
Shirts too for that matter.

About Cup size...the Shock Bioflex is tight fitting on me.
If you get a "roomy" cup then it will likely be bulky for kicking and grappling.
If a cup isn't comfortable you will tend to not wear it.

I generally end up wearing mine for 3-4 hours at least three times a week and sometimes five...no chaffing no lost movement.

Back