Valdez Muay Thai Kickboxing - Whittier

Yeah, my shoulder has been healing (AC shoulder joint separation). I start training again after the new year.

Or has anyone here competed against someone from that gym, real fight or smoker?

check out yelp reviews

i remember seein' him on Judge Joe Brown some years ago...a former student of his suing him for a belt. :eek:

check out yelp reviews

i remember seein' him on Judge Joe Brown some years ago...a former student of his suing him for a belt. :eek:

Is yelp even a good source for reviews on legit training and gyms?

I'm pretty sure that was staged and the show was fake. Could be wrong though.

Is yelp even a good source for reviews on legit training and gyms?

I'm pretty sure that was staged and the show was fake. Could be wrong though.

Yelp is decent, don't know about that particular gym though. It won't tell you which gym is the best, but it should tell you if you should check it out or if it's shitty.

Yelp is decent, don't know about that particular gym though. It won't tell you which gym is the best, but it should tell you if you should check it out or if it's shitty.

Hmm. I always thought the reviews would be skewed as the majority of people don't really know what to look for in a real gym vs McDojos.

Thanks though.

We fought them when I use to train at Lakewood Kickboxing when I was younger. We actually fought their East LA school. Tough guys. What are you looking for in a gym? Did you want classes and what hours are you looking to train? I honestly would go and do a class. Almost all gyms do a freebie.

Well, basically I want to become a better fighter and get in better shape. I tried out a class and here's how it went: 10 mins constant dynamic warm up (jumpin jacks, mountain climbers, high knees while punching in place, burpees, shadow kick box working on form), short water break, 30 minutes heavy bag (punches, kicks, elbows, knees, combos) going 3 min rounds with 30 sec active recovery breaks (pushups, situps), 15 mins pad work (punches, kicks, combos), 5 mins short sprints.

Form and technique was critiqued and adjusted the whole time, so a big focus on that. I was tired after the warm up as my conditioning currently sucks. I only stood 1 hour due to that. But once I got the hang of it I would probably stay for 2 hours.

A Guy there told me that the class structure is always high intensity like that with the same basic structure and bag work every day and the pad work is rotated with clinch work, belly pad work, and some other stuff.

sounds like the program I run. I'm trying to see who else is around that area. I know there is a school in La Mirada. If you travel down beach a little bit you'll find more gyms. Did you just want to stay in that area?

Well, it's already farther than I'd like to go. It's 15 miles one way from me. I live on the walnut and diamond bar border.

So does the above sound pretty good? I would be doing 2 sessions of that in a row, 5 days a week.

They have one review that is one sentence long on Yelp, probably from Mr. Valdez himself. Any gym (or other business) that has less than 10 reviews on Yelp I would take with a grain of salt. I know I have trained at gyms where they told their students to write good reviews on Yelp for them as a favor.

Back