Vaibility of women strikers in MMA

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by emax, May 14, 2014.

1. emax

emax Black Belt

I asked this in the standup technique thread

I have started threads about related topics in other posts but I was interested in what posters have to say about women who train in striking based combat sports.

It does seem like women who train in any of them, be it boxing, sanshou/sanda,kyokushin,kenpo,muay thai,kickboxing or TKD that there are going to be serious limits on how effectively they can use it. For example, we've seen UFC fighters who specialize in boxing, karate, muay thai and even TKD who are able to use these bases in order to neutralize powerful grapplers but it does not seem like women would ever be able to do that. For example, it seems like women who train in any of these combat forms would not be able to, for example, neutralize the grappling game of Rousey; it seems like of all the women in the US with a base in boxing, muay thai, kickboxing or any striking based TMA that none of them would be able to use their striking to help neutralize a powerful grappler the way we have seen guys like GSP, Pettis,Aldo, Carlos Condit, Thiago Alves and others do.

Do you think this idea is correct and if not, than what am I missing here?

And I figured I would ask a similar question here with a couple of additional questions.

Can we see a point in WMMA where women from kickboxing and Muay Thai backgrounds do not simply fold like accordions the way Tate did in the first match or Sarah Kaufman or Julia Budd did and if so, what has to happen for these women from kickboxing and/or Muay Thai to enter MMA successfully?

If it does happen, would it be possible for any of these women to be American women who are training and competing in kickboxing or Muay Thai or would they all have to be European, Brazilian, Japanese or Russian?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. fight4ippon

fight4ippon Brown Belt

3. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Do you mean the availability of women strikers? Tate is taken, but I think Cyborg is single.

4. streets ahead

streets ahead Purple Belt

We get it TS. Women's mma is unevolved/not on the level of men's mma thus cheapening Ronda Rousey's accomplishments. Can we end the thread now?

5. ZuffaExecutive

ZuffaExecutive Red Belt

Miriam nakamoto is transitioning well,she is 2-1 and 1 nc,her nc was when she ko duke and followed it up with a knee to a grounded opponent and her loss,she was torching lauren murphy,the whole fight on the feet,defended a takedown and blew out her knee doing it,answered the 4th round and then her knee gave way when she stepped on it.

Really should be 4-0 with a lil better luck

6. emax

emax Black Belt

I am asking if some combat sports could change this. I have heard it said that for women, Judo is just so far ahead of kickboxing, boxing, muay thai and for that matter wrestling, BJJ and every other combat sport in terms fo the caliber and fighting spirit of its athletes that only from Judo will future WMMA champs arise (and some Sherdoggers think the same is true for men for that matter but that is an entirely different subject). Yes, Rousey's success is largely because straight up her competition is overwhelmingly sub par athletes. The idea that it is simply because Ronda is "just that good" is incorrect, that is all there is to that. The issue is if the caliber of athletes that WMMA needs do not exist or if they exist but Zuffa is unable or unwilling to bring them in.

7. emax

emax Black Belt

I meant viability, not availability.

8. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

In that case, I do not think Cyborg is a viable option for a girlfriend even if she is available.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

Vaibility

Vai

Vai Cavalo

[​IMG]

10. BareKnucklez**

BareKnucklez** Banned Banned

Nationality has nothing to do with individual technique

11. emax

emax Black Belt

It has to do with the caliber of athletes. More than a few here have made statements that could be interpreted as saying American kickboxing is an absolute joke relative to kickboxing in Europe, Brazil, Japan or Russia.

12. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

TS you've to follow the next TUF 20 with the SW division, that is the most stacked Women division ...
    2 out of 3 favs are strikers, one is a decorated muay thai champ and the other an ammy kickboxing champ

13. emax

emax Black Belt

Are any of them at least reasonably close to being on the athletic level of Cyborg or Ronda Rousey, who, btw, by male UFC standards would be above average but hardly phenomenal in terms of their fight prowess or athleticism? I hope so because if not, chances are it will be as boring and unproductive as the first attempt to bring women on TUF.

14. Brocktirement**

Brocktirement** Banned Banned

of course power rand explosiveness come in to play

when have you ever seen an mma fight where a woman knocks her opponent the fuck out (out cold)

never.....the chance of that happening is really small as opposed to a submission attempt......woman can apply those because they don't require ko-power

even f the woman would have awesome punching technique, I can't see them brutally finishing a fight with it and that must be an advantage for grapplers........strikers are more afraid of the submission attempts than grapplers are afraid of getting knocked out because that almost never happens in womens mma

15. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

Tecia Torres doesn't has KO power but is quick and athletic, Joanne Calderwood instead has a pair of one-shot KOs (a knee and an uppercut that btw was stopped after gnp, but the opponent was out after the first blow).

Tecia Torres outspeed both Cyborg and Ronda, she moves very quickly.

SW is by far the most stacked women division and that reflects on the high level of skills more than on athleticism.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check some SW and AW Invicta bouts, the level is far more higher than UFC BW imho

EDIT: Joanne Calderwood is a MT fighter and won over two of the best wrestlers of the division in Rueda-Center and Kankanpaa, not great matches but she can deal very well with grapplers

Last edited: May 15, 2014