VA students shown white guilt video for black history month

Also, "standardized tests" was the best one.

Its like saying this foot race is unfair because everyone is required to run on the same course. Are they are really implying that blacks should get easier tests as a handicap? That seems pretty racist.

White people score average on all these tests, and they are consistently beaten by Asians, even when the tests are made culture-specific. That objection is probably the worse one, as far as what it implies.

The education system, on the other hand, and schools in urban areas, definitely don't help poor communities.

They should have shown this excellent video instead. The sock puppet will make it less triggering.

This will help all of the students get along and respect each other, surely.

Identity politics is at it again, with it's usual defenders.

Look, you're either against racism, or you are not. That's it. There is no middle ground on this. You cannot honestly say you're a champion against racism if you find it okay to be racist in any way.

When you talk about "white privilege" you're talking about race. It is a judgment statement about a collective. This is a racist concept. If you go on and on about white privilege then you're exhibiting racist tendencies.

Two different things can be true at the same time. You can acknowledge the FACT that minorities, women, etc were oppressed and treated as second class citizens or worse in the past while still condemning this racist "white privilege" nonsense. In one context you're talking about a historical injustice and in the other you're describing a collective as one based upon skin color. The fact is that we are all individuals and there are MANY white people who live in squalor and poverty that have so many odds going against them from day one, and you also have MANY black people who are wealthy. You can describe the advantage/disadvantage of certain people individually, but you cannot describe it collectively. Doing so is to prejudge people based upon something other than them as individuals, it is to judge an individual based upon their skin color or gender. In ANY case this is faulty reasoning and is counter-productive.

Again, we can still speak generally about certain things, but we cannot describe people as if they are not individuals. We can talk about how a larger percentage of black people are in poverty compared to the percentage of white people in poverty, and that's fine. We're not attempting to describe the situation of the individual, we're talking about statistics. When you talk about "white guilt" you're not talking about statistics, you're describing all individuals who share a skin tone.

If that video is true, why is professional track and field, as well other sports, mostly dominated by black people? I think they could have picked a better metaphor...

That's simple. Black people dominate track/field and many sports because they are the best at it. In other words, they got there on merit. On the other hand, if white people or any other race dominate a certain field of something, they are only there because of their privilege/oppression of black people. And one day the black people will rightfully take their deserving place atop that field.

Identity politics is at it again, with it's usual defenders.

Look, you're either against racism, or you are not. That's it. There is no middle ground on this. You cannot honestly say you're a champion against racism if you find it okay to be racist in any way.

When you talk about "white privilege" you're talking about race. It is a judgment statement about a collective. This is a racist concept. If you go on and on about white privilege then you're exhibiting racist tendencies.

Two different things can be true at the same time. You can acknowledge the FACT that minorities, women, etc were oppressed and treated as second class citizens or worse in the past while still condemning this racist "white privilege" nonsense. In one context you're talking about a historical injustice and in the other you're describing a collective as one based upon skin color. The fact is that we are all individuals and there are MANY white people who live in squalor and poverty that have so many odds going against them from day one, and you also have MANY black people who are wealthy. You can describe the advantage/disadvantage of certain people individually, but you cannot describe it collectively. Doing so is to prejudge people based upon something other than them as individuals, it is to judge an individual based upon their skin color or gender. In ANY case this is faulty reasoning and is counter-productive.

Again, we can still speak generally about certain things, but we cannot describe people as if they are not individuals. We can talk about how a larger percentage of black people are in poverty compared to the percentage of white people in poverty, and that's fine. We're not attempting to describe the situation of the individual, we're talking about statistics. When you talk about "white guilt" you're not talking about statistics, you're describing all individuals who share a skin tone.

Excellent post.

There is no disdain I support the black people and you could note this when I called out fake white liberals for them implying that black people who fail to support Bernie Sanders are somehow of "lower intelligence" just for not feeling the Bern.

I do however oppose actions which if taken too far hurt the self esteem of others.

But wouldn't attacking the self esteem in a target group be an effective strategy at lowering their outcomes?

If white children have a higher average outcome than black children, then wouldn't this be a viable way to close the gap?

Keeping in mind that it is easier to tear people down in order to achieve equality than it is to lift people up, and other groups that have higher outcomes than whites should just not be talked about because it undermines the politics, and it would be racist to target them anyways.

So a school is teaching students that a person from a historically disadvantaged race still faces hurdles while a person from the historically advantaged race does not have to deal with the same negative baggage .

"White guilt" is a loaded term; the school is just using a cartoon to get the above point across.

What next, maybee schools shouldn't teach children about what Native Americans went through.

Yea, too bad nobody in this country is oppressed due to their race.

If anything, white people are due to the reasons people have listed about affirmative action.

So a school is teaching students that a person from a historically disadvantaged race still faces hurdles while a person from the historically advantaged race does not have to deal with the same negative baggage .

"White guilt" is a loaded term; the school is just using a cartoon to get the above point across.

What next, maybee schools shouldn't teach children about what Native Americans went through.

There are no disadvantaged races or advantaged races.

There are disadvantaged people, and advantaged people. To try lump together the daughter of a poor Romanian immigrant with a Rockerfeller or someone just because they share the same skin color is blatantly racist. And trying to lump together a poor black kid from the ghetto together with the son of a Zambian prince who came here to attend an Ivy league school also does a disservice to the poor ghetto kid.

Start looking at cases and individuals, instead of generalizations and races.

My grandfather was an immigrant janitor, so what the fuck "connections" did I have to make that little escalator scene accurate? This is the #1 country for immigrants, so most whites are not descended from slave owners and most black are not descended from slaves. It's more important to note that blacks weren't descended from slaves though because most whites weren't slaves owners ever to begin with.

Slavery hurt our white ancestors a great deal as well.
Slavery benefitted the big plantations owned by the wealthly elite. They were the only ones with enough capital to purchase slaves. The average dude couldn't afford enough money up front to purchase a slave, and had to result to hiring employees, who were more expensive in the long run, but cheaper up front.

Feels kind of weird to blame me for a crime when the criminals were robbing me to.

I agree with the fact that certain minorities face tougher obstacles in life, but I'm not a fan of this video. Having the white man win the race with zero effort is an insult to hardworking men across the country who struggle for everything they have in life. They could have shown the hurdles and obstacles that minorities face without slapping an entire group of people in the face like that.

Huh, where was this "think of the people, not the race" shtick during segregation?

Huh, where was this "think of the people, not the race" shtick during segregation?

Argued for and won by all the white (and black) activists fighting against segregation. Remember, all of those anti-segregation laws were passed by white politicians.

I love how you've been indoctrinated into this view of history where whitey is some omnipresent evil always out to keep a brotha down. From slavery to segregation, there have always been people of all races who wanted to fight injustice. Now, you are telling the descendants of a New Hampshire Union soldier who died on the battlefield fighting for abolishment of slavery that they need to pay up their reparations and feel bad.

It's Virginia, i mean come on....

I went to HS in NoVa, and i shit you not, my jr year of 2000 they still had a state holiday called LeeJacksonKing day....

That's right, they celebrated MLK Jr, and Stonewall jackson/Robert E Lee on the same day.....

It doesn't exist anymore, but still, that's absurd

edit: i'm not making this up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee–Jackson–King_Day

Most Blacks (here) are descended from Slaves.

Even if you came here as 1st gen immigrant, if you aren't Black, you don't have the negative baggage they carry. Natives have their own negative baggage but aren't viewed with the same disdain as Blacks.

You are looking at it all wrong when you think it is about "connections". It is about societal perceptions and problems emmanating from socio-economic standing.
The only baggage anyone carries today is the baggage they insist on carrying. Race is not an excuse for failure today. How much do black people have to achieve before they can stop blaming events from 100's of years ago when one fails or does something despicable?

Black people have been brainwashed by their own leaders to believe they can't achieve. When they move past that, we can all move on.

The only baggage anyone carries today is the baggage they insist on carrying. Race is not an excuse for failure today. How much do black people have to achieve before they can stop blaming events from 100's of years ago when one fails or does something despicable?

Black people have been brainwashed by their own leaders to believe they can't achieve. When they move past that, we can all move on.

Its the paradox of being a black leader. If you actually succeed, you won't be need anymore. Its in your self interest to keep crime rates up, graduation rates down, and general success low. You keep your racket going longer. Like a rape whistle saleman, you do your best business when rape rates are high, so you hope your product isn't too effective.

What are you talking about?

Not hard to read.

You're trying to "solve" a problem of widespread discrimination based solely on skin color (and the legacy thereof) with platitudes unwilling to take the sole reason for that discrimination into effect.

Its like sentencing a litter of dogs to death, pardoning ones with floppy ears, and saying you saved the dogs wholesale. You havent reversed the outcome of the decision, you just killed less dogs and called it a win.

So where was this consideration when the problem was being created? You obviously want to deal with it with no regard to race, well the problem is based on race, and no amount of whitewashing is going to change that.

Argued for and won by all the white (and black) activists fighting against segregation. Remember, all of those anti-segregation laws were passed by white politicians.

I love how you've been indoctrinated into this view of history where whitey is some omnipresent evil always out to keep a brotha down. From slavery to segregation, there have always been people of all races who wanted to fight injustice. Now, you are telling the descendants of a New Hampshire Union soldier who died on the battlefield fighting for abolishment of slavery that they need to pay up their reparations and feel bad.

Indoctrination? Acknowledging the disprate effect of centuries of racial discrimination is indoctrination?

Oh white people, you SLAY me. ;)

Not hard to read.

Do not presume that it isn't. Are you upset that I asked you to clarify your meaning before responding to you? Would you rather that I assumed your meaning before responding? You'd think you would appreciate someone giving you a chance to clarify before responding...

You're trying to "solve" a problem of widespread discrimination based solely on skin color (and the legacy thereof) with platitudes unwilling to take the sole reason for that discrimination into effect.

A few things:

First, I am not expecting to "solve" anything. I would like things to get "better", but it is a breach from reality to assume that you can solve discrimination, prejudice, and racism. Everyone is a unique individual with their own unique life, full of their own unique experiences. Therefore everyone is going to be different and whether or not that person comes to hold a bad belief is not something that I can or should try to control. What I CAN do is encourage people to let go of racist ideas and promote reason.

Can I assume you don't have a problem with that?

Secondly, the rest is your subjective opinion and it is not based upon any facts. I can agree that there is widespread discrimination, so I am with you there. But what I am not with you on is this opinion that discrimination is based solely on skin color.

You just described discrimination as widespread, but being that it is widespread among individual people it is necessarily NOT being motivated by a "sole cause". It is going to be the result of many different causes for many different reasons.

What I am saying is that such discrimination is wrong across the board, for whatever the reason. You seem to be saying that the widespread discrimination all comes from the same place by the same (white) people... and THAT is racist. You're grouping a large and nuanced situation under one umbrella. If this is how you see the world then no wonder you picture it looking at you this way. It's classic projection.

Its like sentencing a litter of dogs to death, pardoning ones with floppy ears, and saying you saved the dogs wholesale. You havent reversed the outcome of the decision, you just killed less dogs and called it a win.

This is a straw man. This does not reflect my argument at all. I am not a sentencer, I am not an executioner, and I am not a pardoner. I said nothing even remotely within this context. That you brought it here is an indication of baggage that you're carrying around, not me. Regardless you're still willing to convict me of it.

Thought crime. That's essentially what you're accusing other people of. You're not able to show them individually doing anything wrong, so you group them all under an umbrella as a collective and then you condemn them all. This is convicting people of thought crime.

So where was this consideration when the problem was being created? You obviously want to deal with it with no regard to race, well the problem is based on race, and no amount of whitewashing is going to change that.

Did I not reference historical injustices above? I am not denying they happened, and in fact they are a HUGE stain upon our history. Not "our" as in white history, "our" as in the history of our Nation. It's an awful black eye (no pun intended) on our history since we like to consider ourselves a beacon of light for liberty.

We certainly CAN talk about it. There is nothing wrong with talking about how the historical injustices echo through time all the way up into the modern age. The effects of this are still lingering among us. I have no doubt. This, however, is not the fault of people today. People today don't go around trying to oppress others. There are individuals that do, but they are socially maligned people. There are no laws that oppress collective people, but there are individuals who use their position of influence to oppress people. These cases aren't the norm, they are the exception. We do not deal with the people pushing these ideas by condemning people as a whole based upon color. That would be the same type of racism you so strongly shout out against.

Back