Usyk's skills won't help him against Fury/Wilder

LoveSherdogThisTime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have been seeing threads claiming that Usyk may be the most skilled heavyweight boxer in the history of boxing. Who knows? I don't think it is that far-fetched. Having said that, am I the only one who thinks he won't even be able to touch Wilder if they fight?

I am not just saying this because Wilder has the reach and height advantage over Usyk, who would be facing an uphill battle because he is an inside boxer. Wilder is tougher to face for Usyk than other out-boxers. Wilder is fully willing to stay passive until he can land his quick jab or his opponent overstretches. He doesn't just control the distance. He'll often allow his opponents to corner him. I don't know how so many people expect Usyk to land much against Wilder. I think it is more likely that Wilder knocks him out early than Usyk taking this to decision. How do you see this match up going?

Usyk would destroy Wilder assuming Wilder doesn't manage a lucky right hand. Which is far from impossible but I think Usyk is quick enough to avoid it.

Last edited:
Don't know how things would shake out, but I'd love to watch either fight go down.
Thread title is 100% wrong though, Usyk's skill set would be a tremendous weapon in either match.

Fury isn't as robotic as AJ, but he also doesn't have the power of AJ, and would be at a speed disadvantage against Usyk.

I'd absolutely love to see Wilder in there with Usyk, and it'd be a real test for Usyk, as he'd have to stay perfect for 12 rounds, because I don't think he's got the pop to get Wilder out of there.

It's a great time for HW boxing.

I have been seeing threads claiming that Usyk may be the most skilled heavyweight boxer in the history of boxing. Who knows? I don't think it is that far-fetched. Having said that, am I the only one who thinks he won't even be able to touch Wilder if they fight?

I am not just saying this because Wilder has the reach and height advantage over Usyk, who would be facing an uphill battle because he is an inside boxer. Wilder is tougher to face for Usyk than other out-boxers. Wilder is fully willing to stay passive until he can land his quick jab or his opponent overstretches. He doesn't just control the distance. He'll often allow his opponents to corner him. I don't know how so many people expect Usyk to land much against Wilder. I think it is more likely that Wilder knocks him out early than Usyk taking this to decision. How do you see this match up going?
Wilder was or still is an awkward fighter, the unorthodox style is just what might topple Usyk especially when you one punch death touch, I would love to see that fight and see how it plays out

We all know the deal with Usyk vs Wilder. Usyk would mostly make him look silly but will have to avoid the cheat code punch which is easier said than done.

Fury is a different story though. It's not just that there is an extreme size discrepancy, it's that Fury will absolutely effectively use it as a weapon.

Usyk will definitely cause Fury some problems but simply doesn't have the power to keep the big bastard honest and off him for long enough.

Usyk would destroy Wilder assuming Wilder doesn't manage a lucky right hand. Which is far from impossible but I think Usyk is quick enough to avoid it.

Wilder has landed that right enough times for it to not be called "lucky" I'd say.

That said I'm not sure who wins in Usyk v Wilder, I think it would be exciting though.

It'd be great to see, I hope Usyk fights him eventually too.

I think Fury is a much greater test, the reach and height would be a severe problem for a technical fighter.

Wilder has great reach too but not much of a jab and his fundamentals are not good for world class standards. The technical gap is about as big as it can get between two world champions, so I would think Wilder is an easier matchup for Usyk than AJ or Fury.

Of course out of the 3 Wilder is the guy who has the highest chance of stopping Usyk. It'd be exciting just to see if that would happen.

Wilder shells him and Sherdog falls apart after

Wilder shells him and Sherdog falls apart after
It's not a fight that is on Usyk's radar right now. Fury is as he's still WBC champ. Fury has until Friday to officially unretire or the WBC will declare the title vacant. If that happens (title is vacated) then a Wilder fight is possible but not before then. Apparently the Saudis want Fury vs Usyk for undisputed in December. On Wilder's end he has Helenius to deal with in October.

Last edited:
Usyk would have wilder falling over his own feet the whole fight. He won’t get a chance to land that right hand. How’s he gonna land the straight right if he can’t set his feet to throw it

To me it seems the easiest fight of the 3 main HWs and a tougher stylistic fight for wilder than fury was. Usyk would embarrass him

Last edited:
He definitely has the skills to beat Wilder, but it’s a much more dangerous fight for Usyk than the comments in this thread suggest. Wilder isn’t technically sound but he has built an effective skill set to set up his monstrous right hand. Not to mention that he is incredibly unorthodox.

Fury’s boxing skills and fight iq is at least equal to Usyk’s and is considerably bigger and stronger. I know Usyk is sherdog’s favorite son, but Fury fucks him up.

Usyk has pillow fists at hw and can’t wear wilder down the way fury did via size. Fury would fuck Usyk up tho with his size advantage.
Pillow fists is bs, just look at the first fight with AJ and how he was able to stun him a few times.
On paper a rear hand shootout with Wilder is a bad idea. That said, we don't know how much his last 2 fights took out of him and he's also not getting any younger. When Wilder looses a bit of speed/his timing is off it's gonna be a lot of trouble for him, since he really relies on those attributes.

Against Fury, it may come down to how much the ref allows Fury to use roughhouse tactics. Working the body could be the key for Usyk in that fight.

Usyks workrate is a problem for Fury but all the other advantage seem to be Tysons.

Wilder may be too passive for a guy like Usyk. You need to do more to keep guys like Usyk from changing gears. Waiting for the perfect bomb seems like a bad strategy against Usyk.

Wilder has also never faced someone near the pressure/skill of Usyk. I think he would get overwhelmed and stopped. Usyk has always said Wilder would be his easiest fight.
Usyk very well may win and should be favored to do so, but lol @ overwhelmed and stopped.

Usyk isnt laying anywhere near the beating or power that Fury did and we saw what Wilder was able to withstand there.

Back