Usyk vs Tyrone Spong Dazn confirmed Oct 12th

It's surreal to think this fight is actually happening and that Spong is rated so highly by the WBO. I hope he can put up somewhat of a good showing since I've been a fan of his since his kickboxing days. He had 100 pro KB fights with a record of 91-7-1, but obviously, I expect Uysk to win rather easily. Spong has fought nobodies in boxing thus far and this is such a big step up.

But maybe Spong can surprise us and win a few rounds? After all, he has 116 pro fights with a record of 107-7-1 across 3 combat sports. I'm looking forward to this match.
Spong sleeping Usyk with a big punch out of nowhere would surprise me less than him winning rounds. Outboxing Usyk for the duration of a round is a hard enough task for lifelong boxers let alone kickboxing converts

Spong sleeping Usyk with a big punch out of nowhere would surprise me less than him winning rounds. Outboxing Usyk for the duration of a round is a hard enough task for lifelong boxers let alone kickboxing converts

Yeah, you're likely right on that one especially considering most of Spongs wins come by KO. Also, when I say a few rounds I mean just 1 or 2. Maybe Uysk gets a bit stunned one round and plays it very defensive for a round or two? Obviously this is unlikely and very speculative.

If Spong does win a round or two I'd be happy with that performance from him. You're right though, Spong outboxing Usyk for any portion of the fight will be a big surprise and I'm not expecting it.

Spong is infinitely more experienced and prepared to face Usyk than McGregor was to face Floyd
but floyd was old, a few years retired, and had the kind of style that allowed conor to at least throw something.

imagine conor making his debut against canelo. that is what spong facing usyk is like.

usyk will paw him with the jab, spong will throw a flurry, miss it, and usyk will throw and land on his chin at will. if spong makes it past 4 rounds, i'll be really impressed.

but floyd was old, a few years retired, and had the kind of style that allowed conor to at least throw something.

imagine conor making his debut against canelo. that is what spong facing usyk is like.

usyk will paw him with the jab, spong will throw a flurry, miss it, and usyk will throw and land on his chin at will. if spong makes it past 4 rounds, i'll be really impressed.

Lol, no chance Usyk stops him that early. He's a very weak puncher and Spong can eat bombs and survive, not to mention he has a very solid clinch. If it gets stopped, it's probably later, in the 10th or so, due to fatigue/accumulation of punches like Conor was vs. Floyd.

Lol, no chance Usyk stops him that early. He's a very weak puncher and Spong can eat bombs and survive, not to mention he has a very solid clinch. If it gets stopped, it's probably later, in the 10th or so, due to fatigue/accumulation of punches like Conor was vs. Floyd.
Usyk isn't a weak puncher, just look at what he did to Tony Bellew. He doesn't hit like Lennox Lewis but when he sits down on shots he hits plenty hard. And Spong isn't a natural HW he's Usyks size so Usyk's power can affect him. Usyk will use Spong for target practice so I wouldn't be surprised if he really sits down on his shots and goes for an early stoppage.

Arena is basically sold out except a couple nose bleed seats

I agree that Spong has done it all to show how brave he is, fighting monsters in K1, being undersized. Etc. This fight is pretty much his boldest and dumbest choice to date.

He gains nothing winning this, for us fans it would be a huge upset but for his boxing career it’s not a big deal as no one knows who usyk is yet, it’s just a huge risk where the only reward would be for himself.

Then again he is not getting a lot of fights and any younger so it may be his last chance.

Arena is basically sold out except a couple nose bleed seats

Impressive. I wonder how many people the arena holds? I’m curious to see if this sells more tickets than Fury/Wallin

Impressive. I wonder how many people the arena holds? I’m curious to see if this sells more tickets than Fury/Wallin
A little over 10k for basketball gms. Tickets were cheap though.

Usyk isn't a weak puncher
Yes, he isn't weak. Yes, in CW he wasn't stronger puncher, that's clear, but he beat harder than for example Glovacki and bunch of others in CW.

Now of course, he is trained additionally, most likely now is able to beat harder.

Plus Usyk was enough mobile even for CW.
Also changed angles softly and showed good skills in counter striking too.

Until he gets enough blows from REAL HW guys he will be dangerous opponent I think.

I agree that Spong has done it all to show how brave he is, fighting monsters in K1, being undersized. Etc. This fight is pretty much his boldest and dumbest choice to date.

He gains nothing winning this, for us fans it would be a huge upset but for his boxing career it’s not a big deal as no one knows who usyk is yet, it’s just a huge risk where the only reward would be for himself.

Then again he is not getting a lot of fights and any younger so it may be his last chance.
Guarantee Spong is making more than he ever has for a boxing match here and his upside is tremendous if he pulled off the upset. It would instantly put him on the map.

Guarantee Spong is making more than he ever has for a boxing match here and his upside is tremendous if he pulled off the upset. It would instantly put him on the map.

exactly I was super surprised when I saw his face on boxing24news

Can't wait for Usyks heavyweight debut! :) It's been a long time coming. He's already a great fighter/ P4P top 2/ future HOF. Gonna be really interesting to see if he can dominate the Heavyweight division .. it's certainly possible!

Can't wait for Usyks heavyweight debut! :) It's been a long time coming. He's already a great fighter/ P4P top 2/ future HOF. Gonna be really interesting to see if he can dominate the Heavyweight division .. it's certainly possible!
He's actually has several HW fights against better guys than Spong.

Back