Usyk vs Tyrone Spong Dazn confirmed Oct 12th

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Aug 28, 2019.

1. vapor&dust

vapor&dust Orange Belt

Eh I'm not really buying this stuff about no one wants to fight him or they couldn't find a hw no matter how bad that hw is. Could it be his promoter has seen him sparring with heavies and knows he won't go far in this division and is trying to line up one big fight after this before he moves back down?

eternaldarkness likes this.
  2. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

I'm sure breaking his leg in his last kickboxing bout vs Saki had alot to do with switching to Boxing that and Glory turning to absolute shit. As for roiding he wasn't making any money down at 175 so he packed on the muscle and left Lucien Carbin to chase the K-1 money.

listrahtes likes this.
  3. MB5161

MB5161 Orange Belt

Yes, the WBO is a joke

Yacob likes this.
  4. PHATV

PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

<{hughesimpress}><{cruzshake}><36><{outtahere}><LikeReally5><TrumpWrong1>

covenant likes this.
  5. Yacob

Yacob I'm sometimes compared to Jack Johnson

IBF is becoming more legit than the W's

WBC, WBA, WBO all give out extra belts like Super champs and Franchise champs

I don't think IBF does....but they also are the least prestigious and probably least lucrative unless you're god level like Spence/Canelo

GoldenAzazel and Jonny Ninja like this.
  6. deucesarewild

deucesarewild Orange Belt

This is the age of cherrypicking. Now, Usyk is on the wrong side of that. He is taking whatever he can get. Other HW's see the talent and are afraid to lose tov a CW so they don't fight him. He is 32 already, too, isn't he? They can wait on him, let him wither on the vine.

Boxing is first about business, and then about fighting, which is why we get poorly timed fights more often than not, and why we get so many names not fighting one another.

listrahtes likes this.
  7. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

But I am talking about his boxing career. If he would have substantial talent he could make a lot more money at his natural weight class. After some fights a big promoter would definitely have picked him up.

Thats why the age of one org with one belt will always stay the golden era. Its a clusterfuck nowadays with serious Top3 fighters like Fury fighting trash.

8. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

I would say that is far less likely than HWs not wanting to fight him, which almost certainly will be his issue. They tried to match him up with povetkin, takam and a couple more. Watch his fight with joe Joyce a few years back to see what he is going to do with most HWs.

9. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

Hes gonna be made to look like a novice.

covenant likes this.
  10. covenant

covenant Black Belt

yehh most likely.

PHATV and Jonny Ninja like this.
  11. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

Fury isn’t a champion. Champions should be putting their belt on the line against worthy challengers every fight, which has rarely been the case at HW recently. I find it strange that fury gets singled out for who he’s fought when other challengers don’t? And he has a better record than almost everyone at the weight
    The system we have in place allows and encourages fighters to avoid each other. And the franchise belts are a fcking joke. As far as I’m concerned there are very few world champions in boxing. Usyk was the last one as undisputed champion.

12. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

I just used him as an example not to single him out.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  13. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

he has been fighting at HW for over a decade now him dropping back down to LHW again would be like when Chris Byrd did it but Byrd was never the size of Spong. Spong would've been around Cruiserweight / smaller Heavyweight without needing extra help getting there he just sped the process up. It took a couple years to adjust to it in Kickboxing and now though he's around 230ish.

14. Stormtrooper85

Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

The IBF goes pretty hard on their ridiculous mandatory opponents and rushing to strip fighters of their belt if they don't face their selected opponent.

They don't seem to have many other bad practices at least now and probably have the least amount of dirt they've swept away

GoldenAzazel and Yacob like this.
  15. Stormtrooper85

I just watched this fight and looked Spong's opponent up. Boxrec has that guy ranked 443 (They have Spong at 69).

I cannot fathom how WBO gets 5th best Heavyweight out of that but this will be a very bad L for Spong and not a great way to measure Usyk as a Heavyweight

GoldenAzazel likes this.
  16. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

And he is a fucking middleweight <Lmaoo> Spong fought a basically amateur journeyman 4 weightclasses under his own. Pathetic to say the least.

17. Stormtrooper85

I didn't even look at the weight class, holy shit that is pathetic

18. aries

aries Silver Belt

To anyone who thinks he'll trouble Usyk in any way shape or form, are you fucking crazy?? Usyk will light him up and make him look like an amateur in there.

19. Inverse

Inverse Ginger Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's surreal to think this fight is actually happening and that Spong is rated so highly by the WBO. I hope he can put up somewhat of a good showing since I've been a fan of his since his kickboxing days. He had 100 pro KB fights with a record of 91-7-1, but obviously, I expect Uysk to win rather easily. Spong has fought nobodies in boxing thus far and this is such a big step up.

But maybe Spong can surprise us and win a few rounds? After all, he has 116 pro fights with a record of 107-7-1 across 3 combat sports. I'm looking forward to this match.

20. svmVR2097

svmVR2097 Purple Belt

Spong is infinitely more experienced and prepared to face Usyk than McGregor was to face Floyd

xavion and Inverse like this.