Usyk vs Mike Tyson

Tyson gets more hype than any fighter of all time, people ooh and ahh at his shadow boxing, but i still maintain he was not as good as many seem to think and would be pieced up by Tyson Fury and Usyk, not to mention any version of Lewis or HW Holyfield. Usyk is a true modern fighter, more evolved than Tyson

Yes I bet Tyson wished he was as evolved as Usyk.

dat shadow boxing

At last someone able to distance himself from the hype around Tyson. Thank you a lot! Tyson was a fantastic boxer but the way he is hyped up and overrated nowadays really is maddening.

The Holmes fight always gets brought up because Holmes did well later on but Holmes took that fight short notice out of retirement and even according to Tyson himself "didnt have time to prepare". King brought him in as a sacrifical lamb to build up Tyson. Spinks was a good win and Ruddock but like you wrote every time he stepped up competition he got beat. I also like his Golota win. Tyson was still in his prime in the 90s only the opposition was a lot better.

I think the defining fight in how to asess is Buster Douglas. There you can identify all the fanboys. King planted all myths after the loss about Tyson not being prepared, only partying, taking Buster light...etc and King even tried to get Douglas DQd but the reality was that Tyson fought just like before and like later vs. Holyfield etc. He looked great at the beginning but the difference now was an opponent who also had skills and would not back down. The result always was the same.

Regarding Usyk Tyson certainly could catch Usyk in the early rounds with his speed and timing. The longer the fight goes the more he looses that fight as he could never deal with this kind of adversity.
If Usyk manages to read him and avoid Tysons offense Mike would have gotten frustrated even earlier.
I see that fight as 50/50.

Umm no... Tyson gradually deteriorated after him and Kevin Rooney abruptly separated.

Always found the fascination with Tyson odd. He was a fantastic boxer and a all-time great no doubt, but the general public has somehow transformed his legacy into that of an invincible juggernaut who never lost and crushed everyone he met.

Tyson was beatable and was beaten several times. He has a better legacy to the eye of the general public than Lewis or the Klitschko brothers when they possess a superior resume.

Always found the fascination with Tyson odd. He was a fantastic boxer and a all-time great no doubt, but the general public has somehow transformed his legacy into that of an invincible juggernaut who never lost and crushed everyone he met.

Tyson was beatable and was beaten several times. He has a better legacy to the eye of the general public than Lewis or the Klitschko brothers when they possess a superior resume.

IMO the revisionist history goes in both directions... he unified the title--winning 3 belts in 4 fights, and defended 9 times--and all against the #1 contender at the time--in fact the Douglas fight was the very first time Tyson fought an alternate to the #1 contender (Holyfield at the time).

It's true that Wald eclipsed those accomplishments, but the HW division was a shadow of itself in the 00's

243493908_4322819981142308_1389464152083428667_n.jpg

Gotta love Sherdog after a night of boxing.

Only here can a fighter have a great performance and the fans make snap judgments on their place in history.

Tyson's resume is a lot better than Vitali's and probably comparable to Wlad's in quality wins (although Wlad's total resume edges it).

Usyk does a lot of things well and I think he'd fare reasonably well against a lot of very good HWs. Tyson likely wouldn't be one of them, especially when you see the kind of success a guy like Briedis had pressuring Usyk, forcing him on the backfoot, and working the body.

Mike Tyson takes him out in about 85 seconds into the 1st round.

Even though he was decisioned in his prime by the likes of James Tillis, Mitch Green, James Smith & Tony Tucker. In other words, Usyk, who's arguably one of the best cruiser in boxing history, who's basically the closest thing we've seen (stylistically) to a HW "Lomachenko"..(not identical but a bit similar)

Who's cardio, endurance and workrate are phenomenal and unparalleled in his Weight class

Would easily get crushed in seconds by the very same guy who lost against another cruiser legend (Holyfield), not only that, he'd somehow have less chances than Green, Smith, etc...

Gotta love Sherdog after a night of boxing.

Only here can a fighter have a great performance and the fans make snap judgments on their place in history.
And vice versa, it goes both ways doesn't it? According to some, Tyson is a living incarnation of Kratos. Nostalgia and media hype have transformed him into a litteral god.

I did mention that the version of Tyson in the OP is the one that fought Spinks, and not the one that got himself in prison.

Because prison time totally doesnt mess up a fighter's physical and mental state...

And vice versa, it goes both ways doesn't it? According to some, Tyson is a living incarnation of Kratos. Nostalgia and media hype have transformed him into a litteral god.

Thats true to a degree. The people who frequent this forum know both fighters limitations to a degree. It’s the noobs that usually deal in absolutes. Since Tyson was a well established heavyweight champion that was known for blowing out opponents with regularity at his peak, I’ll say he deserves more leeway.

Eh. Neither Lewis nor Wlad have a better win on their resume than the version of Larry Holmes Tyson beat. Period.

Mind you, the Larry Holmes that he wiped the floor with would go on to take both Holyfield and Ray Mercer the full 12 rounds in competitive losses.

Say what you want about Tyson. But it’s post prison Tyson you can say it about. Only a big strong guy with superior infighting was even messing with him… so that rules out the likes of Joshua, Wilder, and Usyk.

Now Tyson Fury would’ve been all wrong for him IMO.

Yeah for me the heavyweight division is still full of bums. Is just so akward to watch a fight of this guys having death cat like reflexes.
Only in boxing can you be one of the best in the world and be called a bum by a guy sitting on his couch eating Doritos

Only in boxing can you be one of the best in the world and be called a bum by a guy sitting on his couch eating Doritos
Ok Usyk cousin, i just dont rate that guy high ,not anyway remotely to Tyson at any metrics. For me he is a bum, the way he moves, very stiff, telegraphic and ugly punches, but anyway Joshua is even worse.

Back