Usyk beats Fury

I think Usyk wins by cardio. Fury hasn't got one punch power, and Usyk won't stand and exchange and get mugged like Wilder. He keeps distance, moves and by the late rounds Fury is huffing and puffing and Usyk pulls away.

I disagree about the height not working for Fury. It will be even easier for Fury to lock up a headlock on Usyk due to their height difference. I don't believe Gassiev hits harder than Fury. Fury is 280lbs and when he sits down on his shots Usyk will feel it. What I would agree with is Usyk being hard to catch because of his footwork which is stellar but Fury moves well for such a big man. Fury was struggling against Wallin but I think that was as much to do with Fury underestimating Wallin (as many of us did if ssswe are honest) as him being a southpaw.
Wallin is also a very large man in his own right, and this was before the Fury switch to Kronk where he has demonstrated a much more physical and violent style, which Chisora shown physicality was a key to heavyweights doing well vs Usyk. AJ's game plan was the worst in imagination: take a slower lesser boxer and have them try to outbox a much better and faster boxer while not using any of his physical advantages. Fury seems very confident he has figured out the Usyk riddle, so much so that he offered to show AJ for free.

It seems we are stuck in a place of people continually doubting Fury when all he does is achieve. Even after dominating Wilder, there were alot of people that thought Wilder would get it done this time. As you point out, Fury's athleticism and movement is freakish for his size, he knows how to use that telephone jab, he knows how to tire opponents without even hitting them (clinching, leaning, head locking), and he has many ways to win a fight if one method goes out the window. And tho he got the cut vs Wallin, it was still a pretty clear cut victory, with scorecards of 116-112, 117-111, 118-110.

If Fury fights aggressive like he did vs Wilder in the last 2 fights, I think he beats Usyk.
I
am curious why do you think that is better strategy than trying to outbox Usyk keep him at end of his punches and being unconventional like he was in Klitscho fight.

Fury has 7 inches of reach, about 5 inches of height and 50 pounds of weight on Usyk. When a fighter is that much taller you need to factor the height as well, Usyk isn't just dealing with the linear disadvantage, he has to make up for the hypotenuse of both of those size difficiencies.

People aren't giving enough credit to how much of a challenge that presents.

Usyk has very solid technique, but he will have to be crafty as hell to be on the better side of those exchanges while punching up 6 inches and having to come through a sizable amount of space where Tyson can hit him but he can't reach Tyson.

And Tyson boxes and moves pretty well when he shows up in peak form. I would HOPE that he is smart enough to realize that his big bully approach, which worked well for Wilder, is not the ideal approach and he comes in in the 260 range and ready to BOX like he did with Klitschko.

Usyk winning, in my humble opinion, requires Tyson making some pretty sizable mistakes. Showing up out of shape. Not using his reach advantage, letting Usyk dictate the range.

I hope we get to see it soon. And I hope both men come in at at their best.

Tyson just won an ugly fight while Usyk just won a very technical fight. Be wary of assuming that narrative will play out like that if they face each other.

Fury has 7 inches of reach, about 5 inches of height and 50 pounds of weight on Usyk. When a fighter is that much taller you need to factor the height as well, Usyk isn't just dealing with the linear disadvantage, he has to make up for the hypotenuse of both of those size difficiencies.

People aren't giving enough credit to how much of a challenge that presents.

Usyk has very solid technique, but he will have to be crafty as hell to be on the better side of those exchanges while punching up 6 inches and having to come through a sizable amount of space where Tyson can hit him but he can't reach Tyson.

And Tyson boxes and moves pretty well when he shows up in peak form. I would HOPE that he is smart enough to realize that his big bully approach, which worked well for Wilder, is not the ideal approach and he comes in in the 260 range and ready to BOX like he did with Klitschko.

Usyk winning, in my humble opinion, requires Tyson making some pretty sizable mistakes. Showing up out of shape. Not using his reach advantage, letting Usyk dictate the range.

I hope we get to see it soon. And I hope both men come in at at their best.

Tyson just won an ugly fight while Usyk just won a very technical fight. Be wary of assuming that narrative will play out like that if they face each other.
Great analysis I am also thinking that is the best approach for Fury.

I
am curious why do you think that is better strategy than trying to outbox Usyk keep him at end of his punches and being unconventional like he was in Klitscho fight.
Pressure seemed to work better than boxing if you look at his respective opponents at HW. Plus just the fact that Fury is a literal giant compared to Usyk, it'd be foolish for him to not use it.
Also, looking at Fury's weaknesses, if Wallins workrate and activity gave him problems, Usyk likely would as well. I think you have to not let guys like Usyk get into a rhythm.

Pressure seemed to work better than boxing if you look at his respective opponents at HW. Plus just the fact that Fury is a literal giant compared to Usyk, it'd be foolish for him to not use it.
Also, looking at Fury's weaknesses, if Wallins workrate and activity gave him problems, Usyk likely would as well. I think you have to not let guys like Usyk get into a rhythm.
Good example but Wallin has size and pressures behind the jab whereas Usyk uses his jab to gauge distance, once he has that tuned in he turns up the volume, still I think Fury will make it ugly by using his size if its necessary

I feel it could be hard tying up using and roughing him up in clinch. if Fury could box him, get up on score cards it would frustrate Usyk and make him more aggressive, which will open opportunity for Fury to clinch and tire him.

Didn't Wilder break his hand early in the Arreola fight?
Yea but I can't remember if it was confirmed or what round it happened in. I think there's a good chance that Wilder does hit harder than Gassiev with the right hand but I don't believe fury hits harder than gassiev. That dude lands punches that give people whiplash

He's the same height as Wilder so 6'7".

Definitely not the same height. Fury has at least an inch on him, if not more. The in ring pictures are going to the best. They have the same footwear on. You just have to see who is closer to the top of the picture

upload_2021-10-19_23-13-43.png

upload_2021-10-19_23-21-6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great analysis I am also thinking that is the best approach for Fury.
Thank you.

Usyk is an exceptionally talented boxer. But it is one thing to over come a size difference, and another to over come a really humongous size difference.

This is basically Usyk going up multiple weight classes. If I recall correctly they were 220 and 277 in their last fights. So Tyson is 26% heavier than Usyk.

Ratio wise that is the same as a 160 pound middleweight fighting a 200 pound cruiser weight.

That's GGG fighting Usyk in 2018.

126% bodyweight
+ 8 inches reach
+5 inches height

Arreola who sparred gassiev and fought Wilder says gassiev is the hardest puncher he's been in with. Said gassiev hit harder than wilder
If he said it he said it but I find that hard to believe. I don't like Wilder but he punches like dynamite and just based on the eye test I'd say Wilder hits harder.

Wallin is also a very large man in his own right, and this was before the Fury switch to Kronk where he has demonstrated a much more physical and violent style, which Chisora shown physicality was a key to heavyweights doing well vs Usyk. AJ's game plan was the worst in imagination: take a slower lesser boxer and have them try to outbox a much better and faster boxer while not using any of his physical advantages. Fury seems very confident he has figured out the Usyk riddle, so much so that he offered to show AJ for free.

It seems we are stuck in a place of people continually doubting Fury when all he does is achieve. Even after dominating Wilder, there were alot of people that thought Wilder would get it done this time. As you point out, Fury's athleticism and movement is freakish for his size, he knows how to use that telephone jab, he knows how to tire opponents without even hitting them (clinching, leaning, head locking), and he has many ways to win a fight if one method goes out the window. And tho he got the cut vs Wallin, it was still a pretty clear cut victory, with scorecards of 116-112, 117-111, 118-110.
Oh sure Fury beat Wallin but comparatively he struggled. I think Fury fights to the level of his opposition and no one thought much of Wallin before their fight. I think we'd see a different Fury in a rematch.

Oh sure Fury beat Wallin but comparatively he struggled. I think Fury fights to the level of his opposition and no one thought much of Wallin before their fight. I think we'd see a different Fury in a rematch.
Agreed, tho the question remains how much did switching to Sugar Hill truly switch his style up vs the Ben Jones/Peter Fury point fighting brand? The Fury that fought Wallin looked like the Fury from Wilder 1, vs the Fury from 2 and 3 who appeared a much different fighter. Is that style just a function of dealing with Wilder, putting him on the rear foot, or has he truly adopted this Kronk style?

I also am eagerly awaiting the Whyte Wallin fight. It may be that Wallin is much, much better than people realize but not getting his due respect. The guy has lost just one time, to Fury, had a very decorated amateur career, is a tricky south paw is larger than Lennox Lewis. That Wallin win could end up being one of the best win on Fury's whole record, much like Conor McGregor decisioned a young Holloway and people used that against him, but no one knew how quality it really was until far later.

Both have work to do before we can talk too seriously about this match-up. Having said that, here's a recent photo of them together. As expected Fury dwarfs him.
FuryUsyk.jpg

Back