USOC Picks Boston As US Host City For 2024 Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by PEB, Jan 10, 2015.

1. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=12139076&city=boston&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D

A lot of people are bent out of shape about this news apparently? I know a few Sherdoggers who live in the area as I do what do you think of the idea? USOC loves the basic presentation that Boston presented. But now many in Boston are hoping it does not get sellected.

2. Jehannum

Jehannum Double Yellow Card Banned

better come equipped with blastproof finish lines ...

3. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

Next title should be: Boston pays off 2024 Olympics in 2074.

4. MC3521

MC3521 Brown Belt

I think it's kind of cool but at the same time don't understand why anyone would want to bid for the Olympics. I live in Boston and the MBTA is already full enough and there are always 90 minute plus delays on the roads in the morning.

I can see,however, buildings such as the aquatics center being used after the games. But where the hell are they going to put the main stadium and the velodrome?

5. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

The cost of the Soici Olympics is highly distorted as they needed the that mammoth tunnel and an airport -- amongst other infrastructure items as they are trying to develop the area as a vacation destination. In fact the projects were all completed within a reasonable cost given the scale.

Does Boston "need" an Olympics? No. But it provides infrastructure that lasts for years, raises the profile of the host city, builds sports facilities that last decades and perpetuate a supply of olympic sport athletes. Bread and circuses type groups will bash the spend of money on sports but let's face it, America loves a winner and winners cost money.

Re: traffic

Sydney had one of the worst traffic problems of any place and they hosted in 2004.

Re: Cost

$4B sounds ridiculously low. Call me skeptical because the original big dig was supposed to be $900m and the last number I heard was $11B.

Oh shit! $24.3B. Damn.

6. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

I love Boston but let's be honest, the surrounding area is full of absolutely shit places that could use gentrification. it's not like they are going to put the main stadium in Copley square.

7. MC3521

MC3521 Brown Belt

It's going to be interesting to see things unfold, especially when the hard planning gets started. Seems like they already secured $50 million in funding for the formal bidding process and planning.

8. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

It's going to be more than $4B.

9. INeedARemedy

INeedARemedy GOAT

Lol it's a fuckin terrible idea. I could not believe it when I first heard it. Just... lolwtf?!?!

This is from Bill Simmons' most recent mailbag article

10. PRIDEWASBETTER

PRIDEWASBETTER Whatever it takes Staff Member Senior Moderator

Football could be in this Olympics, so I'm down for it being in the US. I might actually go.

11. Revolver

Revolver you sound poor Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't think the usoc really wants to win the 2024 Olympics or else they would have selected a real city like LA

12. HAWTakayama

HAWTakayama Brown Belt

I was in Chicago a few years ago during the week when they were one of the finalist to host the 2016 Olympics and the IOC was going to make it's decision. The city did a pretty good job at cleaning itself up and making it presentable, they also had the Olympic banners everywhere you turned... couldn't avoid it.

Having Chicago power players Oprah and Obama lobby hard to the IOC for the selection, and the general hatred of the USA / not paying off the IOC is probably what fucked over Chicago's chance.

One things for certain, Chicago would've been infinitely better than that shithole third world country Brazil hosting the 2016 games with all of their garbage underdeveloped stadiums, poverty, lack of security, etc.

13. Dash Superstud

Dash Superstud Small Tool Belt

Chicago didn't get the Olympics because it's a violent, crime-ridden shithole.

Plus, the world couldn't pass up the opportunity to laugh at Obama for lowering himself to personally stumping for the event for his adopted home city and failing.

14. edgekiller65

edgekiller65 Green Belt

Football/soccer. There's no way American football gets a berth. They could form a high school All-Star team and still the U.S. would crush the rest worse than the Dream Team.

15. PRIDEWASBETTER

I think it gets a berth.

It would be represented by the IFAF, which has quite a following around the world. American football had made strides internationally.

http://ifaf.org/articles/view/1482

16. Dash Superstud

Dash Superstud Small Tool Belt

Adding American football to the Olympics would be ridiculous.

The US would have to field a Pop Warner team for things to be competitive. Football is gaining in popularity around the world, but participation levels globally are dwarfed by those in the US.

17. jrams

jrams Black Belt

If they actually fix the public transit, then I'd be down for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of it took place outside of the city.

18. PRIDEWASBETTER

They wouldn't even have to have tackle football in it initially. They could do beach football or flag.

19. HAWTakayama

HAWTakayama Brown Belt

Chicago was still a far better option as host for 2016 than Brazil. A ton of established venues, better transportation, hotels, commodities, etc.

If Boston gets the 2024 bid (which there's likely no shot in hell of that happening), I hope they also do what 2016 would've done by playing the preliminary soccer matches across the country in premiere venues like the Rose Bowl and Metlife Stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_bid_for_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Despite the current lack of an Olympic stadium, Chicago has dozens of existing sport venues: Soldier Field, United Center, U.S. Cellular Field, Wrigley Field, Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, and Toyota Park in Bridgeview. Venues at Loyola University Chicago, Northwestern University, the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago State University, Northern Illinois University, and the University of Illinois at Urbana

20. MC3521

MC3521 Brown Belt

Final cost will be upwards of 5-10 billion if they were to be awarded the games. I was just referring to the bidding process itself over the next few years.