Usman vs Whittaker

• Thread starter Deleted member 583968
  • Start date
If they were to book that, I'd bet whichever fighter gave me +150 or better odds. If neither guy offered that, I wouldn't touch. That's how close I think the fight is.

Lol noob. Whittaker has made massive improvements in his wrestling compared to his early career. He actively competes in freestyle.

>Competes in freestyle

In the “Commonwealth games”? I.e. not even HS level wrestling here in the states LOL

You’re talking to a grappling connoisseur sir... you’re either being disingenuous or obviously have no idea what you’re talking about to even mention that insult to anyone’s wrestling knowledge.

MISS ME WITH THAT FAKE NEWS.

<36>

Explain how usman beats Whittaker at middleweight, no need for bright coloured writing. Convince me twink

Because Whit has never faced a wrestler like Usman. If you understood how technically sound he is and just what level his cardio is on you would easily pick him as well. Unlike Romere, he embraces his wrestling and can redline for 25 minutes straight.

I’ve given props to Whits scramble, he’s developed a decent one however I don’t believe there’s any complexities to his grappler outside that good first line of defense.

I also like the fact that Usman doesn’t shoot to set up takedowns, he’s so versatile that he chooses to break people down from the body lock soundly against the cage. I think he’s got too much wrestling and cardio for Whit, I think he eventually gets past that scramble and exposes Whit on the ground.

Burns looked phenomenal at WW prior to running into Usman, he’s also one of the FEW fighters on the roster that negates Usmans biggest advantage: wrestling. In the end Usman adapted and knocked him out while passing his guard which as a casual you wouldn’t even comprehend how impressive that is.

-Criticizes Whittaker for fighting 40 year olds

-Says Burns has looked phenomenal at WW despite his best wins in the divsion being against ___ year olds?

Your stupidity is so entertaining sometimes.

Because Whit has never faced a wrestler like Usman. If you understood how technically sound he is and just what level his cardio is on you would easily pick him as well. Unlike Romere, he embraces his wrestling and can redline for 25 minutes straight.

I’ve given props to Whits scramble, he’s developed a decent one however I don’t believe there’s any complexities to his grappler outside that good first line of defense.

I also like the fact that Usman doesn’t shoot to set up takedowns, he’s so versatile that he chooses to break people down from the body lock soundly against the cage. I think he’s got too much wrestling and cardio for Whit, I think he eventually gets past that scramble and exposes Whit on the ground.
Very good. Didn’t think you had it in you. So masvidal is a better grappler than Whittaker then ? Given masvidal took little to no damage when they fought ?

Last edited:
Brasil Wand has as much brain damage as Wanderlei, why do you guys even talk to him
Yeah, I should stop. He bashes Whittaker with false claims then as soon as I correct him, he accuses me of creating "a thinly veiled Usman hate thread." He is delusional.

That’s a silly MMAth comparison. Styles make fights, tbh I’d have no problem picking Romero against Usman. Just like I wouldn’t pick Usman to get easily KTFO by Wonderboy like Whit did. He matches up MUCH better against Adesanya than Whit.

If anything you’re discrediting Usman. He has a far better resume and is still improving. Whits looked vulnerable his last 5 fights, been severely hurt or rocked in all of them.
Lol at giving Robert shit. At least he actually engages and tries to fight. Adesanya kicks back and waits and so does Romero. Without Rob being the aggressor, those fights are staring contests. Rob ain’t afraid to bring it win or lose. He just beat a huge MW contender who was smashing everyone at MW Cannonier. That’s was a great wi, beat till and if he beats Gastelum, thats 12-1 in his last 13. Vs. high level opponents, he deserves the rematch and you discrediting what he’s done makes you a casual. Only on Sherdog will you find a clown shitting ona former champ 11-1 in his last 12.

Lol what in the world are you talking about, with the exception of Usman he’s taken down everyone he’s attempted takedowns on at WW... both Gunnar and Woodley were easily taken down by him.

The problem with Burns is realizing he packs serious power in his hands and developing comfort in striking. I’ve said time and time again that Hooft is one of the best striking coaches in the sport, without him to keep Burns in check he got overzealous hunting the KO leading him to be outstruck and eventually knocked out by Usman.

My point is he might be taking down every one at WW, but that doesn't say much considering who they are. Gunnar isn't good. He was never the grappling wizard he was hyped up to be, and Woodley he caught on a massive reactive takedown. Also, let's not forget Woodz just isn't that good these days.

Good point about Hooft and Burns. He could have easily won that fight against Usman if he hadn't gotten overzealous like you say.

That’s a silly MMAth comparison. Styles make fights, tbh I’d have no problem picking Romero against Usman. Just like I wouldn’t pick Usman to get easily KTFO by Wonderboy like Whit did. He matches up MUCH better against Adesanya than Whit.

If anything you’re discrediting Usman. He has a far better resume and is still improving. Whits looked vulnerable his last 5 fights, been severely hurt or rocked in all of them.
You kinda ignore the weight difference. Adesanya just got his first loss while fighting up a division. People tend to ignore this when discussion match ups . The reaper allready is a great defensive wresler against MW's, I doubt Usman can take/hold him down

Lol at giving Robert shit. At least he actually engages and tries to fight. Adesanya kicks back and waits and so does Romero. Without Rob being the aggressor, those fights are staring contests. Rob ain’t afraid to bring it win or lose. He just beat a huge MW contender who was smashing everyone at MW Cannonier. That’s was a great wi, beat till and if he beats Gastelum, thats 12-1 in his last 13. Vs. high level opponents, he deserves the rematch and you discrediting what he’s done makes you a casual. Only on Sherdog will you find a clown shitting ona former champ 11-1 in his last 12.

Cannonier - who Brasil Wand dipshit was picking to KO Whittaker btw.

Rob via KO 2nd round

I am very biased tho

Would watch

Would probably root for Whittaker, but I'm a fan of both, really

Would also give the edge to Whittaker. Usman is powerful AF and have a good jab but he's not really fluid on the feet. Whittaker is a tier above him on the feet and he's a good enough wrestler to not get fucked like Masvidal

Last edited:
Whittaker would lay him the fuck out. Bobby is so fast.

I rate Usman very highly and while I like Whittaker, I sometimes feel as if his fans in the MMA community let their personal kudos for the man give him false accolades

That being said... I would absolutely favor Rob in this bout at 185 pounds. I find the arguments made in his favor far more compelling (and have held similar notions). Just a bad stylistic match-up for Marty who would be able to make the most of the time on the feet and mitigate Usman's offensive wrestling game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert get a TKO.

Usman breaks Whit with ease.

Only casuals who’ve never trained and solely root for “nice guys” would pick Whit, they can’t possibly comprehend the different level Usman is on. Whit is fighting 40 year olds and another WW Flunkie in Till (whom he struggled against). This is the same guy who got EASILY outwrestled by Court friggin McGee at WW... he’d get broken and finished from full mount late in the fight.

There’s a big difference in grappling skill and outside of a hyper scrambling game he gets away with against 40 year olds, there’s not much substance to Whits grappling. Usman would exploit that.
Ahh the great Clint Hesters and Brad Tavares of the UFC

{<jordan}

I don't think any UFC 185er (including prime Andy) beats the versions of Yoel Whit beat. After watching those fights how could you possibly think Usman stands a chance unless you believe father time had caught up to Rob? Usman isnt going to be able to hold Whit and out point him against the fence and his striking and power are nowhere near Yoel.

I think very highly of Usman but I do not see an path to victory for him.

i favor usman. rob wouldn't be bigger than him.

Only casuals who’ve never trained and solely root for “nice guys” would pick Whit, they can’t possibly comprehend the different level Usman is on. Whit is fighting 40 year olds and another WW Flunkie in Till (whom he struggled against). This is the same guy who got EASILY outwrestled by Court friggin McGee at WW... he’d get broken and finished from full mount late in the fight.

There’s a big difference in grappling skill and outside of a hyper scrambling game he gets away with against 40 year olds, there’s not much substance to Whits grappling. Usman would exploit that.
100% this.

Maybe Till has better striking than Usman

Back