1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Usman vs Whittaker

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Deleted member 583968, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Now, I know it's frowned upon here to ask for predictions for a fight between two fighters who fight at different weight classes. But, I had to do it. For some reason, I've always been intrigued to see this matchup more than Usman vs Adesanya. How do you see the fight going at middleweight?

A-Level Wrestler likes this.
  2. PlasticFishBowl Orange Belt

Bobby Knuckles finishes him. Good takedown defense + being bigger and far superior striking = win.

3. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

Whittaker is one of the best, if not the best anti-wrestler in the sport and has great striking.

Usman is a great champion of a wrestler, but with very questionable striking defense.

You do the math.

4. Portland8242 Black Belt

He's not taking him down and he's sure as shit not outstriking him either.

Rob finishes him inside 3 rounds.

5. Fesaine Brown Belt

Whittaker is the possible possible matchup for usman, p4p or not. He would finish kamaru in the second round. It won't even be that competitive.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  6. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

Usman breaks Whit with ease.

Only casuals who’ve never trained and solely root for “nice guys” would pick Whit, they can’t possibly comprehend the different level Usman is on. Whit is fighting 40 year olds and another WW Flunkie in Till (whom he struggled against). This is the same guy who got EASILY outwrestled by Court friggin McGee at WW... he’d get broken and finished from full mount late in the fight.

There’s a big difference in grappling skill and outside of a hyper scrambling game he gets away with against 40 year olds, there’s not much substance to Whits grappling. Usman would exploit that.

7. I understand that Usman is a powerful guy with good wrestling but would he be able to beat that same 40 years old? What’s with discrediting Whittaker? I am not certain how Usman vs Whittaker will go but I am more certain about how Usman vs Romero will go.

8. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

That’s a silly MMAth comparison. Styles make fights, tbh I’d have no problem picking Romero against Usman. Just like I wouldn’t pick Usman to get easily KTFO by Wonderboy like Whit did. He matches up MUCH better against Adesanya than Whit.

If anything you’re discrediting Usman. He has a far better resume and is still improving. Whits looked vulnerable his last 5 fights, been severely hurt or rocked in all of them.

fifinex likes this.
  9. usernamee Silver Belt

whittaker via highkick knockdown and TKO finish

Chael_Sonnen, darkne3s, Kdup and 2 others like this.
  10. cookdaddy OG of OG's

At middleweight, Whittaker by KO fairly easily. Whittaker is impossible to keep down at middleweight against monsters, no way Usman even gets him down.

11. It wasn't meant to be an MMA math statement. I'm just saying Whittaker's wins against Romero were impressive even though he had desperate moments in the fight.

ITsallinthegifs likes this.
  12. Moeshaak Hammer Banned Banned

true

you sir know what you are talking about

fifinex likes this.
  13. Herwald Black Belt

Usman's last two title defenses were against two LW flunkies (soon to be 3). One of which is a haggard journeyman with double digit losses. Most of his resume is full of nobodies.

Meanwhile Whittaker is actually fighting grown ass men, real names, former champs and olympians. Summer of 2013 when Whittaker lost to Court - 15-3, a TUF MW champ - the same summer Usman got strangled by some no wiki page having can in the very first round.

You brought some overall good points in that I think Usman is very good and this would be a fun fight, but I'm not feeling the gap you're trying to paint here. And I would personally favor Whittaker.

14. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

>Fighting grown men

>Omitting that the average age of his MW opponents is 40

I’m not interested in hearing any excuses for Whits losses and failure in a much deeper WW talent pool. You need to come to grips with the fact that these days he’s nothing more than a chinny striker with a nice scramble and nothing else... VERY limited. He’s declining while Usman is getting better, you can’t deny that.

His ONLY legit young opponents at MW he’s looked terrible against, got his jaw cracked by Adesanya and struggled against against a one legged Till who also put him on skates.

Azyy likes this.
  15. Herwald Black Belt

Grown ass men are men who weigh a normal weight and are of normal stature. But you keep pushing for this angle, so who are the old men Knuckles has fought - Homero and Jacare? Ok, Yoel's an old guy - a genetic specimen and an olympian, but sure. Jacare was 36 when they fought in 2017, same age Jorge will be in this goofy rematch. Who else? Oh wait. 36 year old Mas about to have his 50th fight. 36 year old, surgery riddled arthritis T-Wood. And ancient Maia, the legit 40 year old welterweight. If anyone's beating up old people between these two - it's Usman.

Then what? Can't excuse Whittaker's losses from his proto days? Dude's 3 years younger than Usman, fought those guys as a kid. But he gets no benefit of the doubt for improvement? You're telling me he hasn't improved despite, clearly, being a better version now than he's ever been?

And his chin's cracked cause he got flashbanged by Izzy? Usman just got wobbled by a flunkie LW, dude. You must've missed that.

None of your arguments hold up.

cookdaddy, JAL, Chael_Sonnen and 11 others like this.
  16. yourmomsOBGYN Banned Banned

Checkmate<JonesDXSuckIt>

JAL, Chael_Sonnen, MrFreeze and 3 others like this.
  17. JonJonesNeedle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Whittaker crushes him. He is a nightmare matchup for wrestlers. On top of that Usman is extremely hittable, won't have a size advantage, and is pretty much inferior in every way physically compared to Rob.

A-Level Wrestler likes this.
  18. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

>More excuses

Burns looked phenomenal at WW prior to running into Usman, he’s also one of the FEW fighters on the roster that negates Usmans biggest advantage: wrestling. In the end Usman adapted and knocked him out while passing his guard which as a casual you wouldn’t even comprehend how impressive that is.

Also lol @ you putting down Masvidal when he’s the reason Whit even fought Till, got sent packing after that brutal KO while Whit got his chinny jaw cracked yet again and resorted to panic wrestling a one legged WW flunkie Till to hold on for a close decision.

Usman has been dominant, Whit has been a punching bag these past couple of years.

[​IMG]

LOL:

EF421CE6-C440-4B04-9350-E96A45921C40.jpeg

TheMessiah likes this.
  19. You do realize Whittaker only has one loss since 2014 and that was against the current champ.

Also,
    Clint Hester: 27
    Brad Tavares: 27
    Uriah Hall: 31
    Rafael Natal: 33
    Derek Brunson: 32
    Ronald Souza: 37
    Yoel Romero: 40
    Yoel Romero (Rematch): 41
    Israel Adesanya: 30
    Darren Till: 27
    Jared Cannonier: 36

I didn’t want to use profanities but you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about.

20. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

Ahh the great Clint Hesters and Brad Tavares of the UFC

{<jordan}