News Usman is the new P4P king

The whole idea is pretty ridiculous, the only way to even get something like this together would be with a good algorithm but that would require meaningful rankings, which are lacking.

If you had to pick the most impressive champion right now, Usman is the guy.

He doesn't have split stinkers and controversial wins like both Izzy and Volk has. Izzy even has a loss in his only 205lbs fight and he was completely shut down and had no ground game.

Usman's strength of schedule is RIDICULOUS and he wasn't winning controversial decisions, he put these guys away. KO'ing Colby, Burns and Masvidal in his last 3/4 fights is straight up incredible.

*like to note I was an Usman doubter early in his UFC career, didn't think he was going to evolve in time. I was wrong big big.
Personally I think Amanda Nunes is that champion, but if we're talking men then yes it's Usman. Amanda is such a scary threat they've ran out of of Meat to throw into the cage to feed the Lion.. That's what being the p4p king means... but Women don't get as much respect in the game as the men, and rightfully so as some fights are boring as hell

Personally I think Amanda Nunes is that champion, but if we're talking men then yes it's Usman. Amanda is such a scary threat they've ran out of of Meat to throw into the cage to feed the Lion.. That's what being the p4p king means... but Women don't get as much respect in the game as the men, and rightfully so as some fights are boring as hell

I don't personally follow WMMA so I don't have any opinions on her, but there is no depth in the roster and the skill level is that of regional MMA.

Its like discussing if a WNBA athlete is in the 'best play' rankings its just not a reasonable comparison.

While I still think Jones is clearly P4P number 1 off of past feats I'm fine with Marty getting it due to a combination of his historic run and Jones inactivity. Other than Jones and MM(who no one appreciates) Marty's run is the best we've ever seen IMO.

Theres a new "p4p greatest fighter ever" every week in UFC lol, good lord

P4P is stupid in general. Who the hell thinks Ngannou is a P4P better fighter than Aldo, or Whittaker? The whole thing is bogus. IF you were trying to do a legit P4P list, it would basically consist of BW's, FW's, and LW's.
Controversial but you’re right. There isn’t a single heavyweight currently who would be ranked at bamtamweight other than Ciryl Gane. An unranked guy like Raoni Barcelos would tear through the division if he weighed 240lbs.

It’s just the way things are. Heavyweight has a very shallow pool of athletes compared to lower divisions.

I can’t wait till Jiri, Yan, and the 27 year old Phenom Michel Pereira “penetrate” those rankings.

Those 3 killers vs any 3.

Threads about the UFC rankings? Shouldn't this be in a forum that has no relevance?

looks fine to me.

usman deserves #1 with his recent activity
jones fate depends on what happens in his next fight. If he gets the HW belt he'll be back at #1
Adesanya unfortunately went for greatness and got beat by a guy who used to be in his division pretty handily.
volk has been doing very well... he's going to have to go on a long streak or hope usman/jones loses to move up.

So on UFC's ranking they have JJ still #1 p4p.

This makes no sense to me.

You have Usman, Volk, and to a lesser extent Izzy dominating their divisions, fighting at GOAT tier levels, and putting on exciting fights.

Meanwhile Jon Jones hasn't fought in more than a year and when he was active he was literally doing the worst fighting of his career. His performances against Reyes and Santos were the most lifeless, underwhelming, and inconclusive fights I've seen in recent times from a champion. Nothing I've seen from Jones recently indicates that he's the p4p king.

To me it's like this
1)Usman
2)Volk
3)Adesanya

And Then everyone else.

Jones is just not fighting at the level that those 3 guys are currently fighting at. And hasn't been in years. The last time he's looked like a dominant p4p caliber fighter was in the rematch against Gus in 2018.

This is just a long way of saying please UFC fix your rankings and take this damn guy off the top spot already. There are at least 3 guys who have a better claim to the throne.

EDIT:

Lmao I spoke too soon. Someone pointed out below that Just before midnight the UFC made Usman #1

Finally!!!

Now if Jones gets his feelings hurt he can always come back and fight ngannou or gane
what are you talking about? there were multiple threads on sherdog saying jones won a fight last weekend in Vegas

I have the P4P rankings at:
1. Volkanovski
2. Usman
3. Adesanya
4. Oliveira
5. Yan
6. Holloway
7. Covington
8. Poirier
9. AJ McKee
10. Lima

Out grapplers the grapplers

I don't think this claim is true cause he avoided grappling with Moraes, Maia, Colby, and Burns. He did outgrapple RDA but that's a lighweight. Apart from Colby, it tells me that Usman isn't confident in his grappling capabilites against high level grapplers who aren't at a huge size disadvantage.

I don't personally follow WMMA so I don't have any opinions on her, but there is no depth in the roster and the skill level is that of regional MMA.

Its like discussing if a WNBA athlete is in the 'best play' rankings its just not a reasonable comparison.
nah that's not the same, and i'll tell you why.. look up best female dunks.. and it don't compare at all..to Nba player dunks, it's literally a few women who barely manage to dunk the rim.. now look at Amanda Nunes's Ko's she doesnt just have a lot more knockouts than Usman does, but they are the kind fo KO's where no matter if the opponent is male or female, you fear for her opponents, like that anxiety of extreme danger, like damns she's close to killing that person.. You don't get that same comparative intensity in WNBA to NBA, but you sometimes do in WMMA... so that's why I feel that it's different. I do see your point the level of competition between women is a very good point, but twist that a little bit and start talking about Khabib's entire career before he came to the UFC, his record is padded with crap competition yet some people respect him as the g reatest to every do it.

At the end of the day it's that anxious intensity where the stakes feel high, and you sense one person is just utterly dominant in all sense of the word that makes you feel greatness, and if you think that should be overlooked your missing out. The Cyborg vs Nunes fight is by far one of the greatest clashes of where two fighters at the highest level of womens MMA finally clashed, and the debate would be heavy wondering which woman will come out on top and leap into the true greatness. Think about that on terms of a dominant Male champion facing another equally p4p best.. like p4p 1 vs 2 finally meet to decide who's number 1. Thats what that fight was, and I don't think I can even think of a time where that has happened in any Men's division.

Back