1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Usman is the new P4P king

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gracious Warrior, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Gracious Warrior Orange Belt

So on UFC's ranking they have JJ still #1 p4p.

This makes no sense to me.

You have Usman, Volk, and to a lesser extent Izzy dominating their divisions, fighting at GOAT tier levels, and putting on exciting fights.

Meanwhile Jon Jones hasn't fought in more than a year and when he was active he was literally doing the worst fighting of his career. His performances against Reyes and Santos were the most lifeless, underwhelming, and inconclusive fights I've seen in recent times from a champion. Nothing I've seen from Jones recently indicates that he's the p4p king.

To me it's like this
    1)Usman
    2)Volk
    3)Adesanya

And Then everyone else.

Jones is just not fighting at the level that those 3 guys are currently fighting at. And hasn't been in years. The last time he's looked like a dominant p4p caliber fighter was in the rematch against Gus in 2018.

This is just a long way of saying please UFC fix your rankings and take this damn guy off the top spot already. There are at least 3 guys who have a better claim to the throne.

EDIT:

Lmao I spoke too soon. Someone pointed out below that Just before midnight the UFC made Usman #1

Finally!!!

Now if Jones gets his feelings hurt he can always come back and fight ngannou or gane

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

It's been over 18 months. In the meantime, Dana's giving out interim belts like it's Christmas because guys can't fight within a couple of months. Ultimate circus in every sense.

3. TempleoftheDog Red Belt

He hasn’t fought in well over a year and a half. Enough of this bullshit. But, the way I see it, the UFC rankings are trash. The P4P is trash to the extreme. Fuck that noise.

4. CallMeCasual Purple Belt

To me personally, P4P means nothing. You wanna be king? Challenge the king and take his throne, and that is done in the Heavyweight division. That's what I have always felt. same in Boxing as well. You wanna truly call yourself the best? There is a division for that and that's the Heavyweight division. I would also like them to take away the 265lbs limit.

5. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

He's not anymore

6. deucesarewild Purple Belt

I agreed with you until you said Usman....lol for real?

Man, MMA fans will get caught behind anyone.

7. icemun Blue Belt

Hes undefeated.

The longest raining champ with the most title defenses.

By accounts, still active and prepping for a return at another weight class.

8. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding. Platinum Member

P4P is stupid in general. Who the hell thinks Ngannou is a P4P better fighter than Aldo, or Whittaker? The whole thing is bogus. IF you were trying to do a legit P4P list, it would basically consist of BW's, FW's, and LW's.

9. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding. Platinum Member

[​IMG]

FreddieRoachsVoice likes this.
  10. Habib The Eagle Purple Belt

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  11. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

When Sherdog speaks the earth shakes.

Hotora86 likes this.
  12. rjmbrd Gold Belt

I don't think Volk is in the discussion. Holloway already beat the ever loving dogshit out of Ortega, and he's only had a single fight since then.

Max is arguably the uncrowned king right now considering it was a controversial split decision loss and he (in my opinion) won the fight in the spirit of fighting.

IMO I think Usman absolutely is the #1 P4P fighter in MMA right now. He's got the most impressive strength of schedule and he did it all definitively. There are no doubts or questions about his domination, he put away Colby, Burns and Masvidal in title defenses. He's already one of the greatest fighters of this generation no matter what happens from here.

Izzy getting shut down and ultimately dominated in his only fight at 205lbs doesn't help, against a champion with no title defenses.

youllneverwalkalone likes this.
  13. Kos Fan Brown Belt

Why is Jon still on this list.
    <36>

14. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

It took a police arrest and a domestic violence charge, and not a year and half of inactivity to drop Jon Jones by 1 spot
    <JonesLaugh><31>

15. I Lie To Girls Banned Banned

GOAT
    <JonesLaugh>

Get To Da Choppa likes this.
  16. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

Lol at Francis being 5

17. I Lie To Girls Banned Banned

Colby fan? Lol

18. rjmbrd Gold Belt

The whole idea is pretty ridiculous, the only way to even get something like this together would be with a good algorithm but that would require meaningful rankings, which are lacking.

If you had to pick the most impressive champion right now, Usman is the guy.

He doesn't have split stinkers and controversial wins like both Izzy and Volk has. Izzy even has a loss in his only 205lbs fight and he was completely shut down and had no ground game.

Usman's strength of schedule is RIDICULOUS and he wasn't winning controversial decisions, he put these guys away. KO'ing Colby, Burns and Masvidal in his last 3/4 fights is straight up incredible.

*like to note I was an Usman doubter early in his UFC career, didn't think he was going to evolve in time. I was wrong big big.

19. Sickbro69420 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

20. smooth assassin Black Belt

I guess since he retired he isn’t number one, even still it’s weird not seeing Lobov there