News Usman getting picked on for being Bellator champion

Always amazes me how small the AKA training room is

Honestly, the Bellator LW title doesn't have the prestige it had during the Chandler/Alvarez era.

Bjorn Rebney made that belt look important.

Islam's toughest fight so far was against Bellator unranked fighter Barnaoui

{<jordan}

Shabliy > Martins > Islam

Honestly, the Bellator LW title doesn't have the prestige it had during the Chandler/Alvarez era.

I think that belt had more prestige cause it was Chandler and Alvarez fighting for it. Usman is very skilled but he isn't a big name yet and Patricky was never at the level of Chandler and Alvarez and only got the belt cause his brother gave it up.

I think that belt had more prestige cause it was Chandler and Alvarez fighting for it. Usman is very skilled but he isn't a big name yet and Patricky was never at the level of Chandler and Alvarez and only got the belt cause his brother gave it up.
Yeah, I agree. Those two fought absolute wars over that title and put Bellator on the map for casuals at that time. Also, you had guys like Brooks, Sarnavskiy, Patricky, Caveman, Held, Jansen, Awad, and Campos chomping at the bit for it. It was a very good weight class full of talent at that time.

What happened was: Scott Coker let Alvarez go while still holding the title. This pretty much devalued it and Brooks/Chandler fought for it. Will Brooks won it and then vacated it to go to the UFC. Brooks got destroyed in the UFC, making Bellator's LW division look like shit in the process. Chandler won the paper belt from Patricky. and lost it by an ankle injury in true Bellator fashion to Brent Primus. Wins it back a year and a half later and loses it to a featherweight Patricio Pitbull. Pitbull then vacates it so his brother can win it in a squash match against a Irish dude (forgot his name). His brother couldn't hang with Chandler or Alvarez years before. And then here we are today with Usman.

With all the vacated periods and fuckery, it's just hard to take that belt seriously nowadays.

Yeah, I agree. Those two fought absolute wars over that title and put Bellator on the map for casuals at that time. Also, you had guys like Brooks, Sarnavskiy, Patricky, Caveman, Held, Jansen, Awad, and Campos chomping at the bit for it. It was a very good weight class full of talent at that time.

What happened was: Scott Coker let Alvarez go while still holding the title. This pretty much devalued it and Brooks/Chandler fought for it. Will Brooks won it and then vacated it to go to the UFC. Brooks got destroyed in the UFC, making Bellator's LW division look like shit in the process. Chandler won the paper belt from Patricky. and lost it by an ankle injury in true Bellator fashion to Brent Primus. Wins it back a year and a half later and loses it to a featherweight Patricio Pitbull. Pitbull then vacates it so his brother can win it in a squash match against a Irish dude (forgot his name). His brother couldn't hang with Chandler or Alvarez years before. And then here we are today with Usman.

With all the vacated periods and fuckery, it's just hard to take that belt seriously nowadays.

Tbf with Usman, Barnaoui, Shabliy and Tofiq the Bellator LW division is the best it's been in years.

How doesn't it? Like look at who's holding it right now. Does the UFC Middleweight belt hold less prestige right now because Alex Pereira is the champion? I mean sure, it does but I think the moment a great fighter holds it again it kind of gains it back.

Tbf with Usman, Barnaoui, Shabliy and Tofiq the Bellator LW division is the best it's been in years.
It's alright. I do remember Musayev from winning the RIZIN GP against Patricky. I respect Shabliy for KOing Brent Primus (I couldn't stand Primus when he was "champion"). Never heard of that other guy.
How doesn't it? Like look at who's holding it right now. Does the UFC Middleweight belt hold less prestige right now because Alex Pereira is the champion? I mean sure, it does but I think the moment a great fighter holds it again it kind of gains it back.
Usman got the belt because of his last name, just like Patricky. Not to take anything away from him but he was unranked before the title shot.

Imagine thinking that Mansour Barnaoui is a tougher opponent than Do Bronx.
Umm, have you watched the fight? I guess not

Mansour got robbed while he beat Do Bronx and Arman pretty easily

Imagine thinking that Mansour Barnaoui is a tougher opponent than Do Bronx.
Islam called Mansour his toughest opponent to date leading up to the Oliveria fight. This year.

Oliveria didn't exactly put up a super strong effort. Certainly didn't put up as much of a fight as Baranoui did. All 3 are great fighters for the record, I'm not trying to disparage Do Bronx but Mansour is absolutely a world class lightweight.

Edit: Edited for clarity

Islam called Mansour his toughest opponent to date leading up to the Oliveria fight. This year.

Oliveria didn't exactly put up a super strong effort. Certainly didn't put up as much of a fight as Baranoui did. All 3 are great fighters for the record, I'm not trying to disparage Do Bronx but Mansour is absolutely a world class lightweight.

I was shocked how easily he destroyed piccolatti, he needs to be in the tournament and is a dark horse to win it

Thanks for your response. I have not seen him fight.

Back