Usman and Volkanovski...

Kyle Stephens

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
...are gonna win. There are little to no chances for their opponents.

Reasons you ask? A couple.
Masvidal has no chances to win other than a fluke KO. He is not getting the decision, he is a terrible round winner. And let me tell you about that fluke KO. Fluke is an understatement. I even think there's good chances he himself gets knocked out. His defence is actually bad, if you watch his fights, he often gets touched even by guys who aren't in the same conversation as him as a striker, but he is fighting too relaxed and in result his defence is suffering. Yes, Usman may be not the best striker, but he hits harder, he is bigger, faster and has a much better cardio. His striking is nothing special, basic, but does the job. One shot KO over guys like Askren or even Till, who have glaring holes in their striking defence, is not making me feel even slightly concerned for Usman.

The first sign for trouble for Max - he is not hyped for this rematch (and he didn't want it in the first place. Then - historically, in rematches of this kind, where one fighter is completely technically taken apart by his opponent, the winner wins more than 70% of the time. And it's an immediate rematch which makes things for the loser of the 1st fight even worse. Max couldn't do shit about Volk's trickery and smart tactics the 1st time. There is zero indication he's gonna do any better. No, actually he's going to do worse. He doesn't even know how Alex was able to beat him. He's still confused. He and his team. When things go to shit, they countinue going to shit, unless a great force is exerted to combat it. And I don't see any force being applied. Max didn't even had a time for that, even if he wanted. Max's attricion pocket boxing is his one trick. If you don't just stay in the pocket for more than two-three punches and have good cardio, you 90% have his number. The other 10%, is to have some weapons to pick at him from the outside. That's pretty much it.
If you give a smart, cerebral fighter, (who is a good athlete on top of that) an immediate rematch, they tend to destroy their opponents.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what you said. Usman may not be the best striker but he has more weapons in his arsenal and hits harder than Till or Diaz for sure and has a functioning chin. Guarantee you he could drop Masvidal not saying he gets a finish though. Volkanovski beat Holloway after he broke his hand in the 1st round and did not have the five round experience prior to the fight whereas Holloway has excelled in 5 round fights, also the glaring fact that he's shorter with a significant reach advantage throws Max's game off. Both are favorites for good reason

Lay the parlay bet. Go all in. Post the slip.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Usman may not be the best striker but he has more weapons in his arsenal and hits harder than Till or Diaz for sure and has a functioning chin. Guarantee you he could drop Masvidal not saying he gets a finish though. Volkanovski beat Holloway after he broke his hand in the 1st round and did not have the five round experience prior to the fight whereas Holloway has excelled in 5 round fights, also the glaring fact that he's shorter with a significant reach advantage throws Max's game off. Both are favorites for good reason
Usman could barely drop Colby "Cotton Candy" Covington. TS said Usman gets the KO??? Usman has wrestling and cario. He has a good chance to win. Masvidal has a lot more weapons than Usman. He can win by KO, he has better BJJ than Usman and if he fights to win by a decision he can outstrike him. He hasn't chosen that in the past but if he dedicated himself to that he can take a decision. If Masvidal can force Usman to stand he takes rounds from him and if Usman decides to stand and bang like he did with Colby he will get KO'd IMO.

I think this is a 70/30 fight in favour of Usman but only if he dedicates himself to a boring technical win. He must use his wrestling effectively or he loses.

Usman could barely drop Colby "Cotton Candy" Covington. TS said Usman gets the KO??? Usman has wrestling and cario. He has a good chance to win. Masvidal has a lot more weapons than Usman. He can win by KO, he has better BJJ than Usman and if he fights to win by a decision he can outstrike him. He hasn't chosen that in the past but if he dedicated himself to that he can take a decision. If Masvidal can force Usman to stand he takes rounds from him and if Usman decides to stand and bang like he did with Colby he will get KO'd IMO.

I think this is a 70/30 fight in favour of Usman but only if he dedicates himself to a boring technical win. He must use his wrestling effectively or he loses.

Covington is way better than Masvidal. Just because he puts on a MAGA act or actually is right wing, or a douchebag, or whatever...

Doesn't change the fact he was legit elite and almost beat Usman for the title. Where as Masvidal has a flukey KO over an overrated Askren, and one good win over Till who was also overrated. Outside that he's been a decent fighter, but largely has justified being called a journeyman.

I really don't think Mas has a chance here outside either a very flukey KO horseshoe up his ass again, or Usman going full retard and not using any wrestling.

Usman-Volk-Rose 3 way parlay all day. E z money.

I ain't got a slip though but thanks for the idea, I might do that.
Ditch the girl. This is a trap fight for betting. Rose might be the better fighter, but she is at big athletic disadvantage here. And you are pushing it adding a third fight, even if it was some other fight.
TS said Usman gets the KO???
No. I said there are good chances this to happen. Different than Usman gets the KO.
Colby wasn't backing up at all and threw a lot of offence at Usman. Usman had to fence with him at open space. Knockouts usually don't get in open space, unless you are an amazing counter-puncher, which we agree Usman isn't. Masvidal, on the other hand, isn't up in your grill and is easy to back up. And his defence backing up is quite bad. A can see him getting rocked, maybe not finished but rocked somewhere in the beginning of this fight.

Nothing is ever certain in MMA but I would have Volkanovski and Usman at at least 2-1 favorites in their fights but no more than 5-1.

Covington is way better than Masvidal. Just because he puts on a MAGA act or actually is right wing, or a douchebag, or whatever...

Doesn't change the fact he was legit elite and almost beat Usman for the title. Where as Masvidal has a flukey KO over an overrated Askren, and one good win over Till who was also overrated. Outside that he's been a decent fighter, but largely has justified being called a journeyman.

I really don't think Mas has a chance here outside either a very flukey KO horseshoe up his ass again, or Usman going full retard and not using any wrestling.
I don't agree with your estimation of Colby as Elite. He is very one dimensional. If Colby can't beat you with his constant chain wrestling he has no other way to win. He can win a decision or he can wear you out and get a RNC. Masvidal has much higher chance against Usman than Colby ever did. IMO "Almost Beat Usman" is a ludicrous statement. Usman was up 3-1 clearly and without a stoppage 49-46 or 49-45 is you gave a 10-8 for the 5th.

Masvidal's KO was flukey as in it wouldn't happen like that again if they fought 100 times. He intended to throw and land that knee. Askren is pretty much Colby. If Askren is so over rated then what is Colby? Colby has one way to win and against Usman he had zero. Usman is a better, bigger, stronger wrestler and that's all Colby has. Masvidal has a better chance to beat Usman based on styles. Funny thing is that Colby has a better chance of beating Masvidal based on styles.

You have every right to your opinion but I disagree with your assessment.

Ditch the girl. This is a trap fight for betting. Rose might be the better fighter, but she is at big athletic disadvantage here. And you are pushing it adding a third fight, even if it was some other fight.
No. I said there are good chances this to happen. Different than Usman gets the KO.
Colby wasn't backing up at all and threw a lot of offence at Usman. Usman had to fence with him at open space. Knockouts usually don't get in open space, unless you are an amazing counter-puncher, which we agree Usman isn't. Masvidal, on the other hand, isn't up in your grill and is easy to back up. And his defence backing up is quite bad. A can see him getting rocked, maybe not finished but rocked somewhere in the beginning of this fight.
I disagree but that is why we have the fights to watch.

I think Masvidal rocks Usman early in the first or second and gets a finish via submission or TKO. Otherwise when he rocks Usman, Kamaru will abandon striking and wrestle/clinch his way to decision.

I don't agree with your estimation of Colby as Elite. He is very one dimensional. If Colby can't beat you with his constant chain wrestling he has no other way to win. He can win a decision or he can wear you out and get a RNC. Masvidal has much higher chance against Usman than Colby ever did. IMO "Almost Beat Usman" is a ludicrous statement. Usman was up 3-1 clearly and without a stoppage 49-46 or 49-45 is you gave a 10-8 for the 5th.

Masvidal's KO was flukey as in it wouldn't happen like that again if they fought 100 times. He intended to throw and land that knee. Askren is pretty much Colby. If Askren is so over rated then what is Colby? Colby has one way to win and against Usman he had zero. Usman is a better, bigger, stronger wrestler and that's all Colby has. Masvidal has a better chance to beat Usman based on styles. Funny thing is that Colby has a better chance of beating Masvidal based on styles.

You have every right to your opinion but I disagree with your assessment.

Yeah well, I'll try to keep it short lol

So was Jon Fitch not elite? He relied heavily on wrestling as well, he wasn't really putting dudes out with his hands or winning with striking. He was undoubtedly elite and for a long stretch the 2nd best WW in the world only behind GSP, the GOAT of 170.

I don't think Colby is amazing, but I don't think Usman is either. It was closer than you are saying, I had it scored 2-2 going into the 5th I believe, but whatever...it was a close fight. Colby is clearly elite.

Name 3 WWs that are definitely better. Name 5. You can't. People hate Covington due to his persona. He's a top 2-3 WW right now in the world until proven otherwise, only Usman and maybe Burns are better currently.

I disagree about the styles, I don't see this as some triangle rock-paper-scissors at all. I think Usman has just as much stylistic advantage as Colby does over Masvidal. I don't think Masvidal is on the same level as either fighter either, he's not elite.

On Askren, okay...well Askren fought cans in ONE and then came over and basically got rocked by Lawler and won via a fake choke fuck up by Herb Dean. Then lost to Masvidal, then lost to Maia. So realistically he could have been 0-3 if Dean didn't gift him that sub.

By comparison Covington compiled a 10-1 record in the UFC prior to the Usman fight, 10-2 after and had a competitive close fight with the current champion. He beat stun gun Kim, Maia, RDA, and dominated Lawler in a row prior to the title fight. He held an interim title as well, fwiw. There's a clear difference there to me.

I don’t think Usman is the harder puncher. Masvidal has found some new power and speed at 170 and he’s a cleaner striker. Usman is a big guy but he’s still pretty stiff on the feet. Mas could of course get dropped if he gets complacent though.

I agree that basically Mas needs the early KO. I have zero confidence in Max — I have a lot more in Jorge. The smart money is on both Volk and Usman. My intuition tells me Masvidal is going to knock Usman out however. I’m not convinced by Usman’s chin and I’m not impressed by his defense. Logically Usman is a sizeable fav though.

Back