Using ur gi (armbar)?

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pretty quick question. I wondered about the use of your gi when attempting arm bars from mounts & in your guard. I have been shown the option of using the gi when perfoming an armbar from north south position and knee of belly. I quite like using my gi to hold on to when attempting the arm bar becaus it keeps their arm tight. Just wondered if any of you guys use your gi in other arm bar positions and if you encoruage it.

Well I'll try it tonight in training and give my newb like feed back.

Actually i hav only sdeen using the gi to defend the armbar

Sure. Reach across over their arm and grab your own collar. The great thing about gi grappling is...well, the gi. :)

Bubble Boy said:
Sure. Reach across over their arm and grab your own collar. The great thing about gi grappling is...well, the gi. :)

iv been doing that to some success of late.its cool.

I tried for an arm bar but manage to get a triangle whilst trying this. It seems to add a tightness to the arm.

from guard you could lossen their gi up and pull the jacket over the arm and fake teh choke, then you you shift your hips and get teh armbar instead

I don't use it regularly but it's really effective from the guard especially. It gives much more control and tightness on the elbow and to keep his arm straight.

Think i'm going to need a step by step guide with pics here if anyone would be kind enough

Terrier said:
Think i'm going to need a step by step guide with pics here if anyone would be kind enough

http://www.bjjfighter.com/techniques/gi/sidecontrol/Gi_armbar3_side[1].html

You see in the link above, how the offensive opponent grabs his own gi. I was just suggesting grabbing your own gi whilst having the arm trapped in different positon such as hooking their arm & gripping your own gi in your closed guard.

Bubble Boy said:
I do this too, when I got the arm but he gets a grip on his gi. I grab my collar and I wrench his arm off of his grip.

I noticed it also leaves their collar open to take a grip at their gi for a choke.

Back