Using a double leg takedown in BJJ/Judo class

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, in my BJJ/Judo class (we learn both at the same time) when we kinda have a free sparring/rolling session (choose a partner and just go) towards the end of class, well, I am the biggest guy there so when I roll with someone I will quite often drop down and just drive them to the ground.

Now, my instructor hasn't told me to stop so I continue but is this frowned upon in any form or am I worrying too much about nothing?

Worrying about nothing, although double legs are now forbidden in judo, so unless you agree with your sparring partner beforehand its implied that they are not allowed in Judo.

imho, you should def have an understanding you're using "old rules", unless you legitimately attempt to set it up as part of a chain attack in which case it would be fair game.

although double legs are now forbidden in judo, so unless you agree with your sparring partner beforehand its implied that they are not allowed in Judo.

Ok... so, best to be polite and stop it since even though it isn't a strict Judo class they do teach Judo?

Ok, in my BJJ/Judo class (we learn both at the same time)

I missed this part. Hmmm.... In that case, why the hell not? Maybe you should ask, because I don't understand the reasoning behind it under the current situation unless someone is training specifically for a judo tourney in which case it would be their obligation to let you know ahead of time and not the other way around.

I missed this part. Hmmm.... In that case, why the hell not? Maybe you should ask, because I don't understand the reasoning behind it under the current situation unless someone is training specifically for a judo tourney in which case it would be their obligation to let you know ahead of time and not the other way around.

Alright, it was just open mat night tonight and I noticed when I was sipping on some water that no one else was doing it.

Ok... so, best to be polite and stop it since even though it isn't a strict Judo class they do teach Judo?

If its not strict judo class then by all means use it.

I still use it in Judo class but i beforehand say that ill use them, remember Shiai (competition) its not the end of all, as Kano and many other greats pointed out, its just a way to test yourself and improve yourself.

Not even bothering to learn things that are now forbidden its just an insult to Judo as a whole and pretty much puts the competition above all.

If its a judo club or BJJ class with judo on the side, use leg attacks, but agree with that beforehand.

Not even bothering to learn things that are now forbidden its just an insult to Judo as a whole and pretty much puts the competition above all.

.... dude ..............YES!!!!

KATA GURUMA LIVES!!!

One thing I will be honest about though is that our gym in general is kinda ghetto. We have a mirror on one wall, a regular wall with no mats against it, and this weird waist high wall that if you lean against it it wiggles and that surrounds the mats we do BJJ on.

I have been kinda scared of running/spearing a guy through these.

Reminds me of the outlook one of my kendo (look it up on YouTube... essentially a Japanese form of fencing) sensei's has. Kendo used to have things like Uchi Mata in it but that has gradually stopped being taught (do kendo on a hard wood floor... more of a safety thing than anything else) but my sensei still teaches it to us.

Last edited:
I've said this in every thread regarding Judo and double legs (morte gari)....

If the guy can't defend them it's his own damn fault.

Unless you're in an actual Judo comp then use 'em til your heart explodes. Just make sure that you learn other moves as well. :)

I am going to tell you to stop this right now. You are cheapening your own training, IMHO.

And no, this thread is not about the use of the Morote Gari/Double leg itself, it is about how you are using it because of this here:

Ok, in my BJJ/Judo class (we learn both at the same time) when we kinda have a free sparring/rolling session (choose a partner and just go) towards the end of class, well, I am the biggest guy there so when I roll with someone I will quite often drop down and just drive them to the ground.

Instead of using your weight and just falling on people, every time that you are out on the mat, you should be focusing on technique, technique, and technique only.

As a 6ft 5in 307lb guy, let me tell you, by just using your body frame alone, you are learning nothing! And I know that it is hard, but you are going to have to learn how to turn off and on the Hulk Smash! mode.

I don't care if the the Morote Gari/Double leg that you are doing is working in class, class is supposed to be for learning.

The reason why you are hulk smashing is due to:

• You have not really practiced anything else...
  • You are probably afraid to fall/Ukemi correctly...
  • The only thing that you are showing is that you can double leg or takedown people smaller than you...

How does that help your game when you are rolling with someone stronger, or taller than you?

How does that help you if you want to do competitions? There are going to be a lot of big boys there too!

Personally, if you are not getting tossed or are not tapping a lot, you are not learning.

Big boys like us need to learn how to use less strength and focus more on technique while training at the beginning stages of training.

Yeah, if I wanted to, I could own everybody in my Judo club based on strength alone (well, except for my sensei and two of the younger brown belts. I can never see a Left Side Tai Otoshi or a Yoko Kata Guruma coming to save my life :icon_cry2), but how the heck does that help me?

How about this: Instead of just diving in for the double leg, do you set it up?

Do you have any throw combinations set up for the Morote Gari yet?

Can you do a Seoi Nage -> Morote Gari combo? What about O Uchi Gari -> Morote Gari? Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi -> Kuchiki Taoshi (single leg)? O Uchi Gari -> Kuchiki Taoshi? Ko Uchi Gari -> Kata Guruma?

TL;DR: Stop using so much strength, you are cheapening your training.

How does that help you if you want to do competitions? There are going to be a lot of big boys there too!

I have been doing this for three months. If I were to do competitions that is a LONG way off.

Yeah, if I wanted to, I could own everybody in my Judo club based on strength alone (well, except for my sensei and two of the younger brown belts. I can never see a Left Side Tai Otoshi or a Yoko Kata Guruma coming to save my life :icon_cry2), but how the heck does that help me?

I understand this, but when I roll I don't try to roll with the other white belts in my BJJ/Judo class, I generally go to try and roll with the black belt judo guy (only guy close to my size), the brown belt in class, the purple belt, or one of the 3 blue belts. It's not like I am doing it to the little kids, I am doing it to the grown men of the club.

How about this: Instead of just diving in for the double leg, do you set it up?

Do you have any throw combinations set up for the Morote Gari yet?

Can you do a Seoi Nage -> Morote Gari combo? What about O Uchi Gari -> Morote Gari? Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi -> Kuchiki Taoshi (single leg)? O Uchi Gari -> Kuchiki Taoshi? Ko Uchi Gari -> Kata Guruma?

TL;DR: Stop using so much strength, you are cheapening your training.

I set it up by usually gripping their gi and faking like I am going to trip or throw them and then dive for it.

Oh, and for all the terminology, I am trying to learn it but it's taking forever to stick in my head so I have no idea how I line things up. I just kinda go.

Back